“An almost-perfect step back in time...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winslow
La Posada Hotel
You added La Posada Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   303 E Second Street, Winslow, AZ 86047   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Winslow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Story, Wyoming
“An almost-perfect step back in time...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Spent this past Christmas Eve in one of their lovely suites - very comfy beds - immaculate room - killer gift shop - GREAT restaurant - and wonderful staff and service throughout. What appealed to me when I booked our stay was the historic significance. Being an old Fred Harvey hotel it was very hard to resist. The only thing that took away from the whole vintage hotel vibe that I was seeking was the owner's HUGE and way-past-bizarre paintings which seemed to be hung on every large expanse of wall that could be made available to her in the public portions of the hotel. I know, everybody's a critic, right? Nonetheless, the owner's lack of good judgement could almost be excused (the artist owns the place after all), but the political statements (regardless of your leanings) and the oftentimes venomous attacks on the clearly identifiable people in her paintings, in THAT VENUE - a HOTEL, can only be attributed to what my grandmother used to call "bad form". The first goal of any well managed, quality hotel should be to make their guests feel supremely comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

You like old restored places, antiques, trains, history, some of it or all of it? If so La Posada Hotel is definitely a good choice, a masterpiece by Jane Colter beautifully restored by the new owners.

The numerous sitting areas are all comfortable and full of antiques, memorabilia and varied and fascinating paintings even if it not necessarily your style. Both the front and back gardens are interesting with intriguing pieces.

As for the bedrooms, what a delight. As we walked into our room, the Clark Gable room, we came under its spell which, I m sure, was the architect's design. The unique carved headboard by Keith Mion, the native carpet on the wall, the quaint desk, comfortable chair, thin artwork and French balcony all blended together to make this room highly pleasant.

Bathroom on the small size but well equipped and so charming with the 1930's black and white tiles. Very professional and welcoming staff also. The excellent restaurant (see separate review) is not to be missed.

It calls for repeat business.

Room Tip: If trains bother you or you need special assistance, make sure you specify it when you make your res...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Amboy, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

This is a magnificent and historic hotel along Route 66. The rooms are moderately priced, which is quite amazing for a hotel of this quality. Most of the property has been wonderfully restored and I'm hoping that they can continue this process. The rooms are very cozy and generally well-maintained. There are art pieces that you can admire as well as history and artifacts about the hotel that you can study in the hallways. Plus, there are a number of elegantly furnished places on the inside as well as outside of the hotel where you can sit and relax. They also have a nice restaurant on the property where you can enjoy a nice meal. The hotel staff is very courteous and professional. If you're going to stay in the Winslow, Arizona area, without question, this is definitely the place to spend the night.

Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stay at La Posada once or twice per year and have done so for a few years now. We love this place. Our favorite room is 210 which has a huge balcony and faces the tree grove. There is still rumbling from trains but it's not as bad as the rooms facing the tracks on the south side. The room was quite comfortable and clean. Housekeeping was regularly seen outside and around our room keeping busy with cleaning. One of our favorite spots in the hotel is in the ballroom where we sit for a couple hours after dinner reading and smart-phoning by the fire. There are plenty of small nooks and areas to sit and relax in the public areas. We had 4 meals in the Turquoise Room (separate review) which continues to excel. The one thing that does bug me and has for years is how the main entrance is set up. The front desk is in the gift shop and there's a big ugly gate right after you walk into the building making everyone go into the gift shop. It gets crowded in there when luggage and people are congregating trying to check in or out or purchasing items from the room. It's just not a very welcoming area and not a good first impression for first-time guests. Every time you run out to your vehicle to load or unload you have to circle around this barricade.

Room Tip: Request a first floor room if you can not deal with stairs. Request a room away from the south sid...
Anthem, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I enjoy reading the 'terrible'reviews, especially after I visit a location, and as usual, I have to wonder if we visited the same place! Let's start with the basics: La Posada was built in the 1930's specifically to cater to railroad travelers. As such, it is positioned immediately adjacent to the [still active] tracks. For some (like me) this is a 'plus' because the trains run past through the night and I happen to like that, for others [like my wife], the trains may effect your sleep. We were in room 100 which meant that we were on the track side, thus, full train sounds. As previously mentioned (and prominently mentioned in the hotel literature), the building was constructed in the 1930's, that means no ADA. The hotel has several wings, each with two floors and no elevators - stairs only. Now, I am fortunate that I do not require elevators, ramps, etc., and I surely mean do disrespect to those that do. That having been said, if you require ADA like amenities, I suggest mentioning this when you book your room; I found the staff (contrary to other reviewers) to be friendly, helpful and extremely accommodating. The property boasts several gardens, romantic alcoves and a vast collection of art. Now about the art. A majority of the art was created by the co-owner, Tina Minon. Art is all a matter of taste, personally I'm not a big fan or Asian art nor do I generally care for "modern" art - no offence, it's just not my thing. Minon's taste is unique, to say the least. She has a political twist that would go well with a Tim Burton film. Of course, that description does not apply to all her works, nor is she the only artist displayed. The building itself is a work of art and history. That being said, I've never chosen a hotel based on it's decor. In fact, the rooms were spacious, clean, tasteful decorated and extremely comfortable. I particularly appreciated the little touches such as the night-light and space heater in the bathroom (we visited in December). To top it all off, the establishment was dog friendly (we were traveling with our 80# mix) and it had a 5-star restaurant (the Turquoises Room - see separate review), all in Winslow Arizona! If none of this convinces you to stay, there's always the Quality Inn at the edge of town, I think it's next door to a Burger King!

Room Tip: Call ahead with special requirements like ground level, away from tracks, dogs, etc.
Atwater, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I recently stayed at La Posada on short notice on a long, cold drive across Arizona. I had been there once before in summertime. The winter visit was so pleasant with Christmas decorations warming the lobby and restaurant. The room 215 was the least expensive available and it was comfortable with all the amenities including nice, thick towels, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, hair dryer, hot water, and a light sensitive night light in the bathroom. The wifi didn't work well in my room and kept knocking me off or was very slow, but it was better the next morning. The Turquoise room is an excellent restaurant. I had the blue cheese salad and yum, it was delicious. Erin, the waitress, was excellent and very nice to a person eating on their own. I wanted an appetizer as well but it was not available when I tried to order it at 7:00pm. The gift shop in full or Southwest items and fun to peruse. I'd strongly recommend a stop here so you can truly stand on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and enjoy yourself at this historic spot.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room that is not distant from the main check in area if you want dece...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I planned a group trip to Northern Az, staying at La Posada on the last night. The management was very unresponsive to my frequent phone calls and emails making it very difficult to price the trip accurately. The Turquoise Room asked me to make up my own menu and price it, then submit it to them for review. I did not hear back from them and my phone calls and emails went unanswered until the morning of our stay when they then came in $10 per person higher than what I had submitted. This is very unprofessional. The food and service was wonderful.

The hotel is unique and wonderful, the rooms comfortable and the history interesting. I would love to stay there again but never as a group leader.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Posada Hotel? Share your experiences!