“Name says it all” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Attractions in Winslow
Type: Geologic Formations, Parks, Specialty Museums, Shopping
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: 50,000 years ago a huge nickel meteorite hit the earth forming a crater that is 550 feet deep, 2.4 miles in circumference and a very popular tourist stop.
USA
“Name says it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

Driving in the middle of the desert along Interstate 40 in Eastern Arizona will bring you upon a diamond in the rough: Meteor Crater. Basically, a huge dent in the Earth formed by a meteor strike.

I highly recommend visiting if you happen to be driving by. Only 15 minutes off the interstate, you can just go to see the crater, or take some time to go through the astronaut museum. They also sometimes do led walks around the crater rim. Make sure to see the video on how the crater was found and what it was originally bought for. Astoundingly, it is all privately owned - watch the video there to see why - do not try to walk around/over the fences they have up. I hear they do prosecute trespassors. So they do charge to see it.

If you can, go right before sunset for unbelievable views of the surrounding desert.

“Interesting Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

My daughter and I visited this place during an 8-day roadtrip to Arizona. It was very intersting and my daughter loved it. I thought that it was interesting as well, but I had 2 problems with it: 1) It was way too expensive for what you get. 2) It was windy so we did not get the guided tour that comes with admission. Keep this in mind if you visit on a very windy day. The crater is enormous and interesting to look at. The displays and information inside are educational. It was a must-see and do at least once. I wouldn't go again due to the price, unless I was taking someone who hadn't gone before. Here are some pictures for you to look at...

new zealand
9 attraction reviews
“Interesting visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2005

We arrived just in time for a guided tour (included in entry fee).
our guide was very informative and told us lots of interesting things.
It was very hot and windy when we were there (May 05) and they cancelled all tours after we got back.
Glad to have seen it but its not really that exciting, considering all the great scenery there is to see in the area.
We had a Sub from Subway (on site) and it was very good!'
Also clean restrooms were available.

paulav
11 attraction reviews
“It is worth the detour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

The Meteor Crater is just East of US 17 about 20 miles. It took 45 minutes to get to Sedona from the Crater. Their is a Subway at the entrance Rd. to the Crater where we ate under shade trees on picnic tables. There is also a Subway in the Crater Gift shop and clean, well-maintained restrooms. We went on the rim tour (45 minutes, easy walk) with the tour guide. It is quite windy, but very interesting. You are not allowed to wear open toed shoes; you have to have on tennis shoes or hiking boots or they will not let you go. The museum has a 10 minute movie about the crater, and it is a nice museum. I am so glad we did not miss this site. I would recommend it to all ages.

Payson, AZ
“We are not alone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

The programs are very well done. It's defintely worth it. Gives you a unique perspective on our lives on this speck called planet earth.

Been to Meteor Crater? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Meteor Crater, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.