“Anywhere but here....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Williams
Redding, California
“Anywhere but here....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We, don't usually stay in HOJO's and this motel is the reason why; Great location to the Grand Canyon, Easy walking to all the great shops downtown, Needed to visit the tiny hospital for minor need and they were wonderful, fast and inexpensive, As for the motel,,,,,,,,

We checked in at 11pm with 2 children. When I walked in there was a sign on the desk saying "ring the bell", so I did, A moment later a eastern Indian women walked out from behind a curtain, obviously woke up. She was pleasant but not too informative., Our room was another building down the parking lot. The rooms are inside door type. The door to get into the buildings are always unlocked. When asked why and where was the security, I was given the answer that "thats the way they do it." There is no security and this is not in the best neighborhood. The view out our window was a run down house in foreclosure with garbage and shopping carts in the yard.

We walking in the room and was greeted by a rancid smell of a dirty carpet. Spots everywhere., I never let my kids on the carpet , thank God. The room is plain with not much in the way of amenities. I cannot recall if there was a microwave or fridge. The TV was old and fuzzy.
The bathroom was average with the sink outside the bathroom, which I don't care for. We had to ask for towels. I had to walk down to get them. They opened a new pack right in front of me and acted like they had no idea what they were used for. They were very thin and non absorbent. The package had 6 towels in it and they front desk woman just handed me the whole package.

The first night we listened to 88 rambunctious Chinese 4 th graders here in the USA for a tour. They were hell on wheels. They ran up and down the halls for hours. Luckily we were spending most of the evening out shopping but running at 2 AM up and down the halls got on my last nerve. I called the front desk and woke them up to quiet the kids down. They were quiet about 2 hours and started up again. Luckily, they were pack on their bus early in the AM. We saw them again at the Canyon.

The breakfast "special" was as it was named. We bypassed it and at elsewhere. If I remember right it was cold coffee, prepackaged muffins and raisin bran. Mmmmmmmm.

The staff, for the most part were very nice and helpful and tried in every way to make our stay pleasant.. I believe this is a franchise owned by an Indian couple.Very pleasant but not really
into keeping the place or its surrounding area clean. The grounds were filled with animal feces,
cigarette butts and beer cans.

The second night my kids wanted to use the indoor pool and spa. Even though we have a much nicer one at home, it's not a hotel. I decided to walk down and inspect it first before we gave them an answer. The answer was a definite NO. You couldn't even see through the pool water. It bordered on green and had a powerful chlorine smell. The spa, while clear had a big, blood infested band aid sitting on the steps. There was one table to sit and watch. It was dirty and by that I mean, it hasn't been cleaned in months.. There wasn't a working shower in the pool area so even if the water had been clear and the place a little less gross, there was no place to rinse the scum off. I just couldn't let my kids in there. I bribed them to later that night where we were staying in a 5 star hotel.

My husband is a manager for a huge national company. He travels a lot. He wrote the management of the HOJO's and long , long letter regarding have a visit from corporate. Whether that was done, I don't know.

I do know, that I have never liked HOJO's and I still don't. I worked for a corporation that booked us in one for every business meeting. I would have stayed in the car if I could have.
This place is in desperate need of TLC. Maybe once it gets a serious dose this place will be worth the stay. There are so many hotels near the canyon that this must be your LAST resort. To give it a fair chance, it may have changed in the last 6 months since we have been there and the letter was written. I think they are trying, but it isn't working.

Room Tip: FYI,,Eat, or bring food to the Canyon. Food is very expensive as is it has to be hauled in. We ate a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel although off the main street by a block has been totally upgraded, fresh paint, rooms have new furniture, bath fixtures, nice lighting, great beds - tv and clock worked. The operator was very helpful knew the resteraunts and local attractions. We asked to see the available rooms - there are two buildings with a breezway between. The pool and hot tub are in the main building so if you don't want to walk outside to get to the pool, ask to stay in the main building. (We did). The pool and hot tub were very clean. Woke up to the smell of pancakes and toast as our room was not far from the continental breakfast area. We had a quiet stay and enjoyed it.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a back side room, if you want to be by the pool ask to be in the main buil...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The best motel/hotel we stayed in during our visit from UK in February. It was so nice we drove 50 miles out of our way to stay there on way back from Vegas. Service and facilities much better than Luxor!!
Heated indoor pool even though it was 8 deg F outside was lovely. Room immaculate with comfy beds, coffee in room with fridge and super picture on flat screen tv. Continental breakfast with waffles, toast and nice tea and coffee was a lovely free bonus. Over all a lovely hotel at a great rate. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2013
Ray, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here two nights while visiting the Grand Canyon. Walking distance to the Williams main street, for the Railroad, Eats and Stores. During the winter was nice having the indoor pool and hot tub. After a long day hiking the Canyon was very relaxing. Clean rooms , breakfast could have been better but sufficient.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ALBUQUERQUE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Convenient location, heating was good. Bathroom ventilation fan was extremely loud and the bath tub wouldn't drain properly. Ankle deep water in just a minute or two. Made reference to these items on check out but staff didn't really seem to be concerned. This motel is OK for the quick sleep and hit the road again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Williams? Share your experiences!