“Train Car Delight” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Williams
Phoenix, Arizona
“Train Car Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

While driving to Williams, my wife noticed a small but quaint hotel off of Route 66 as we entered Williams. Having stayed at nearly every hotel in Williams, we decided to try this one. We were first greeted by Shirley and she insisted that we look at a couple of rooms. After doing so, Tina and I have decided that we are going to use this hotel exclusively. The hotel offers standard rooms as well as a train car and cabooses. The room was very clean, all services provided and the staff was what I invisioned all Williams residents to be. If you're looking for a 5 star, this is not it. But if you are looking for a nice, clean, quiet and unique hotel with a staff that actually does care, then this is the place for you. And an added bonus, the rates were well below what we had been paying. Thanks Shirley and Kevin for making our stay the most enjoyable ever in Williams. We stay in Williams several times a year for weekend "get aways", and now they will be more enjoyable.

Stayed August 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Simonton, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

The property was really cute and we liked the size of our room (great for two with a nice big bathroom). When we entered the room it was hot and stuffy so we turned on the AC and went to eat. When we returned it was still just as hot! We were so tired and it was so late (the lobby closes at 10PM) that I stood on a table to turn the ceiling fan on "high" and opened the widows. We spent a sweaty night. We stopped by the office the next morning to tell the manager about the AC and she said she would have it repaired. When we got back from our Canyon train trip we turned on the AC again, but after 45 minutes it was clear that it was still not functioning. I went to the office and the lady was very nice and said the repairman had come out and told her it was fixed. She said no other rooms with AC were available but she brought us a big fan and once again we slept with the windows open. Since there is no cross-ventilation, it stayed hot and stuffy in the room for most of the night - it was at least 10 or 15 degrees cooler outside. We even thought about sleeping with the door open but decided against it for safety reasons and because we didn't want any bugs to get in. We had to leave very early the next morning and I noticed that alot of the other rooms, even the ones with air conditioning, had the windows open. Also, several had the doors wide open! It really made me wonder if the problem was confined just to our room. If you are planning to travel during the summer I would think twice about staying here.

• Liked — Interesting unique property with personality
  • Disliked — No ventilation in the room, broken air conditioner.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

We were pleasantly surprised at the quaint but cozy rooms. We had a room with a king bed and one with two double beds. Loved the fact that there weren't phones in the rooms. The motel is nestled among Ponderosa Pines and has awesome charm. The only complaint I have is the parking. There was a boulder in our parking area so we had to be extremely careful not to hit it when we parked the car. We traveled with dogs so there was no maid service but all we had to do is ask for what we needed at the office and it was brought to our rooms. The owners were very pleasant and helpful for information and directions to local restaurants. You lose some of the amenities of a chain motel but It was nice to stay at a privately owned motel.

surrey, b.c.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

I was so looking forward to staying at this little motel. When we got there we were impressed by the charm and the friendliness of the place. The train car we stayed in was sooo cute. Unfortunately, we were unable to have a bath or shower since we had no hot water in our room. We didn't bother the managment since it was 10PM when we noticed this and we were checking out the next morning. The remote control for the TV did not work and the futon would not fold down flat because the frame was bent out of shape so we had to put the mattress on the floor for the kids. There were ants in our room and the kids found the pool to be very cold and dirty looking. I can definitely see the charm of this place and the staff are very nice but when I politely informed them of the problems the next morning (not to whine but to fix it for the next guest) I just got a sorry. I paid over 100 bucks for this place and would have appreciated a bit of a reduction but did not get any offers. I believe I wouldn't be writing this review if I would have been compensated somewhat for my family not being able to at least take a shower while we were there being that this is one of the main reasons people stay in hotels other than sleeping. I wish them well but felt I might be doing someone else a favour by fore warning them before they decide to pay the big bucks for a train car.

• Liked — Next to williams (very cute town on Route 66)
  • Disliked — No hot water
  • Tips/Secrets — Confirm that the problems I addressed were fixed before booking
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Abington, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

The Canyon Motel is in the town of Williams, AZ. A cute town with some tourist attractions (route 66, GC train). I tried the Canyon Motel based on other reviews and I found it to be a truly great place to deal with the owners. They helped me book my train trip to the Grand Canyon and gave us a welcome bag of goodies when we arrived. Though the rooms were small, they had charm and the owners welcomed us the next morning with a fresh continental breakfast. Thie place is homey and the owners truly care.

Stayed June 2006
Rockville, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

We just returned from our fantastic vacation to the Grand Canyon/Northern Arizona with my 6 1/2 year old son, and we stayed at the Canyon Motel for 3 nights, although we wish it would have been much longer! While I am accustomed to staying in 4 and 5 star resorts, it would have been impossible to have stayed at a nicer location for this trip, and I feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon the Canyon Motel, the trip would not have been the same had we not had the good fortune of finding this little gem! We had the pleasure of staying in each of the Santa Fe Cabooses, each of which had its own uniqueness and charm. Each of the caboose cars were large, very clean and extremely comfortable. The hospitality and service of the proprietors, Shirley and Kevin Young was extraordinary. I cannot imagine anyone having qualms about the service or hospitality at this establishment. Staying in Williams, at the Canyon Motel was something that I will always cherish, as will my son. He didn't want to leave, nor did I. If you are looking for a destination that is peaceful, relaxed, unique, convenient to the Grand Canyon and other Northern Arizona attractions, and most of all, memorable, the Canyon Motel is the place. This a very special place, and there is a very good reason why the majority of the reviews on trip advisor speak so highly of the Canyon Motel. Thanks to Shirley and Kevin (and of course Kobe) for helping make a very wonderful and memorable vacation for my family! We hope to see you again.

• Stayed July 2006
Williams, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

Bravo~Bravo~Bravo
Wow: I was going to write our family's review of this place until I read this previous review, then I felt compelled to address it, as well as to add our own two cents. First of all, our family of four stayed here for four days during the same time period and we absolutely loved it. We knew that it was an old 1940’s route 66 motor court when we booked the reservation and we new that back in the 1940’s and 50’s things were a lot different then in 2006. You could see this and feel it in the town’s stores, restaurants and shops. It’s a community that has risen above it all and that has been around a long, long time, and yes… it is old. When we think of preservation, we think of care and perpetuity, safekeeping or safeguarding, shielding and protecting. When we decide to preserve something we are sanctifying it and setting it aside, outside the range of any casual reach, so that it won't be needlessly, or even unintentionally, harmed by actions that aren't thoroughly thought through. Preservation is long-range. It's for the ages. We were glad to be able to share this with our children. This type of education is not learned in books or even in schools. You must experience it first hand. Preservation is the making of history. Its how and why we know what happened in our past, and in the past of others. Because we practice preservation, we are able to make sensible decisions for the future. Yep, we agree that a pool built back in the 1940’s is unlike that of today’s pools. But this pool was great. On the walls inside it had almost every license plate from every state in the USA plus some. It’s from all the people over the years from all those states that have visited and enjoyed the experience. I bet this guest never even got in the pool. The water was clean and crystal clear. It was warm and inviting. We all had fun in it for hours! The bridge over the creek had two hand carved wooden bears fishing from it. It's not the motels fault that very little rain in Northern Arizona this year has caused very little water to be in the creek. Did this guest also blame all of the forests being closed due to fire danger from lack of rain on the motel staff? Or did they just blatantly say there was no creek? Hum, makes you wonder. The rooms were clean and comfortable and when we made our reservations we asked for a room with a bath tub and we got it. I am almost sure that this other guest never even asked. I would even goes as far as to say that they probably never even said a word of their issues to Shirley. This lady is a breath of fresh air and goes above and beyond for her guests. What the other reviews say about her is pin point accuracy. She is wonderful. Just read the guest book in the lobby. While we enjoyed the continental breakfast each morning, not only did we think it was great and better than that of most big hotel chains we have stayed at, we even heard others commenting on how nice the selection and presentation was. Yes, Shirley watched over it like a hawk and insured that as soon as something was getting low, she was ready to replenish it. In any event, I sincerely hope that most readers can read between the lines of that ugly review. Read each spelled word and you will quickly discover that maybe there are other major issues with this type of guest. On the other hand, we would be proud to recommend this place to both family and friends and are very glad to see that 98% of other reviewers feel the same way as our family does. We support and salute the small business person and all the hard work, dedication and entrepreneurship it entails. This would always be our first choice. Keep It up and don't let people like this discourage you. We need more like you!

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Canyon Motel & RV Park? Share your experiences!