My husband and I recently took a short trip from San Diego to the Grand Canyon. We made our reservations through AAA and the experience was seamless. Upon our check-in at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel in Williams, AZ, we were given vouchers for our complete weekend. Our meals in Williams (2 breakfasts and 2 dinners) were included in the package at the Depot Restaurant which served a great buffet. Our luggage magically appeared in our room at the south rim having been transfered from Williams on the train. We upgraded our seats on the train to the dome car coming and going. Well worth it! Our room was at the very historic El Tovar Hotel right on the rim of the canyon. Next visit I would definitely opt for another choice as it is way overpriced for the condition and amenities. You spend all your time outside anyway, so a clean room and comfortable bed is all you need. Anyone can access the shops and restaurants in both the Bright Angel Lodge or the El Tovar - so my vote would be to stay at the Yavapai or Katchina - just as close to the rim, much newer and will have major upgrades as of May, 2012. The free shuttles to many of the canyon viewpoints is great. The new visitors center at Mather Point shouldn't be missed.
Our train trip back to Williams was just as enjoyable with a champagne toast in the dome car at sunset! Back to Williams and another great dinner at the buffet - overnight - breakfast buffet the next morning and a nice drive back to San Diego.
I would highly recommend this 3-day little getaway to the grand canyon. It's just spectacular.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Canyon Railway Williams
- Fray Marcos Hotel
- Hotel Grand Canyon Railway
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historical hotel named after a member of a Spanish expedition. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Venere so you can book your Grand Canyon Railway Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.