“Loved this place - beautiful location, great people, plenty to do.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waidroka Bay Resort

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Korovisilou
Kooringal
“Loved this place - beautiful location, great people, plenty to do.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My family and I were part of a group of eleven which included 4 teenagers. The service we received from the staff was excellent, always helpful and friendly. The bures were spacious clean and comfortable with a great view from the deck. Most of our group were surfers but there was plenty to do for the non surfers. Good snorkelling in the lagoon, SUP's and kayaks. There were also plenty of tours to go on if you wanted. The four teenagers were newly qualified divers and the dive instructor Joey took good care of them, they did some great dive's including the shark dive at Beqa Island. I would recommend that non divers go along on the dive trips as there is plenty to see just snorkelling. Frigates was an excellent day out for all of us, the surf was good and the snorkelling around the reef is spectacular. A highlight of the trip for many of us was a visit to a local school that had been arranged by Cyd, the surf operations manager. The spirit and enthusiasm of the children and staff was inspirational despite the poor condition of the school. I would thoroughly recommend Waidroka Bay to those that love the ocean and are happy in an informal relaxed atmosphere where you meet like minded people without the bling of the big resorts.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
WAIDROKA, General Manager at Waidroka Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Bula Philippa,
We enjoyed having the Morton Crew here loads :) Thanks for descending on us all together, we had a great time with all of you guys... Hope you saw the facebook pictures of the shark dive. We're all really glad you enjoyed the service and the helpful friendly attitude of all the staff here. We are looking for a 'home away from home' atmosphere here at the resort and hopefully we achieved that with you guys.

Great that you enjoyed the school visit - we are looking to make that a more regular thing going forward.

Vinaka
Paul, Kirsti and the Waidroka Crew

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed the hospitality of all staff during our stay. As the resort is focused on diving and surfing (when we were there, an Australian surfing pro hosted a surf camp here), don't expect a huge amount of room amenities like widescreen TVs, etc. For a couple of quiet days with a few dives and to unstress, this is a great place.

A couple of tips: diving and surfing is great. Ask if you can join in surfing trips to Frigades or do a shark dive (staff will contact you). Also, the resort does not come cheap but with dedicated and knowledgeable staff.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WAIDROKA, General Manager at Waidroka Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Bula DJ and Shangita,

Thanks so much for posting your review - especially during your ongoing adventure :)
We are all so glad that you both enjoyed your stay here at Waidroka Bay Resort - especially the Frigates trip. We enjoyed having you guys here very much. Enjoy your onward travels to Australia and New Zealand.
Warm regards and Vinaka
Paul, Kirsti and the Waidroka Crew.
Coolum Beach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great place for activity minded individuals and couples. The caring staff caters well for the kids too, but it is not. After a bit of fine tuning with the chef's, the food was great and Andy the surf tour guide is very much the waterman, with a good idea of the best waves and an extensive background in all things fishing and boating.
Make sure you do the day tour up the waterfall valley (Forgot the name sorry). After the traditional village guff (Not my bag) and they try and tap you to buy trinkets, it is truly an incredible experience!!!
I went with a few school friends and we all had a ball and made some great new friends too. I look forward to heading back one day and enjoying the great waves, fantastic snorkelling, fishing and friendly, caring staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
WAIDROKA, General Manager at Waidroka Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Bula Chris,

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and made some new friends here at Waidroka :). Thank you for taking the time to post the review, we really appreciate it. Glad you took advantage of everything we had to offer - surfing, fishing, diving and a great tour with Jewel of Fiji...
Hope to see you back here again someday soon!
Vinaka
Paul, Kirsti & the Waidroka Crew..
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was not staying at Waidroka but at another resort whose dive shop is now closed. So I came in each day to dive. I wanted to do some easy fun diving and to do my advanced training. I had a choice of two resorts to dive and on gut instinct, chose this one. I got it right because I later did a day of diving at the Warwick (the alternative ) which I did not find anywhere near as enjoyable as Waidroka.

The divemasters Gus and Joey were helpful and fun and I felt safe and happy with them at all times. The diving was great (including the shark dive) even though some days were quite rough. One day, we even went out to the divesite in rain and a rough sea with great yellow trawler-fisherman raincoats over our wetsuits. What a sight!! And fun. I had come over on a full moon and there were also some very heavy currents at some of the dive sites. The boatman Ponti was fabulous too. Very skilled and very helpful. And thank you also to Kirsti for her assistance in organising things. I am on a restricted diet and the kitchen provided some appropriate great snacks for me too with no problems. (The other divers had good tucker too with some great looking muffins and hot chocolate).
A great place to dive. Thnaks everyone. I may come back to stay not just to dive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hi Victoria,

Glad to see you made it home safe and sound. Thanks for taking the time to write this review we really appreciate it. We are so happy that you enjoyed your 'adventure' diving with us - we certainly enjoyed hosting you even if it was just for the diving. Ponti, Gus & Joey send their regards..

Our hot chocolate and muffins are supposed to be a secret by the way ;)

Warm regards from everybody here at Waidroka
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I loved the Waidroka and every second of our stay! The grounds of the resort looked like something out of a book to me. Surrounded by rain forest, cute little Bure's to stay in, each with it's own porch and hammock facing the ocean. I loved how it was away from everything and was just its own secluded little slice of paradise. The accommodations were simple, clean, and I felt right at home. I liked the fact there were no TV's in the room. I like the break from technology. But they do have wifi in the main lobby you can pay for which was great when I did have to do a few things for work on one day. They also have wifi plugins you can take your room if you can't deal with the technology cutoff. The grounds are obviously well cared for. It's just beautiful. We were briefed about not drinking the tap water, which isn't anything new, as that's generally been the case for every country I've been in. But they had readily available free specially filtered water which is a really nice perk, and not one I've had before. And of course they had bottled water for sale if you really wanted that too. :)

The staff was incredible. Friendly, informative, and I loved how they would scatter themselves at different tables with us for dinner and tell us awesome stories and answer any questions we had from the dives that day. That was such a cool personal touch. The main lobby area had plenty of seating for all of to hang out and lounge at after diving that day, and they had a great collection of books spread out on the coffee table about Fiji, Fish ID, etc. All the staff was readily available and more than happy to answer questions, book a tour, or arrange a taxi for us.

Food. Best food I've had at a dive resort. Bill is amazing. Delicious and artistic dishes at dinner. And I was addicted to the french toast in the mornings.... :D

Diving. Before I say anything else. BOOK THE SHARK DIVE!! It was the most incredible experience, and I highly recommend it. I even went a second day, I was so obsessed with it! Diving in general here was just awesome. The COLORS, the soft coral, the sea fans, and the marine life...just gorgeous. Not something you see everywhere. We were here in the beginning of September which is winter time for them. So while the air temps were cooler than I expected, the visibility and marine life we saw MORE than made up for it. I just wish I had brought a boat coat like a few others did in our group for the surface intervals for the days the sun decided to stay hidden behind the clouds. But I'd MUCH rather have cooler weather and epic visibility then vice versa. Also the winter months, make for slightly choppier seas, and some currents. Not a big deal at all as long as you pop a Dramamine, and listen and follow the directions of your DM's. It is, after all, an adventure!

Our boat had Kirsti and Gus for DM's. They were GREAT! Super fun and interactive on the boat. Kirsti lead the dives and Gus stayed in the back to round up the stragglers.... like me. :D I'm a slow diver because I like to take photos and it was nice to know someone was looking out for me. And you want to talk dedication? How about Gus putting on a rain poncho and standing feet spread and arms up to try and block rain on a bunch of us on the boat ride in? :D Oh and Kirsti has some pretty smooth cabbage patch dance moves underwater.... just wait and watch. :D I loved that they took us to a remote island for lunch on the days we were in the Beqa Lagoon. White sand beaches, palm trees, and aqua waters. One heck of a view!

The Waidroka also booked for us the Jewel of Fiji tour (canoe trip to a village, kava ceremony and lunch at the village, boat down to a waterfall) and a river rafting trip through Rivers Fiji. It was gorgeous scenery. Loved both of them!

I can't say enough nice things about the people. The staff and the locals. No matter where you go there is a smile and a BULA! It's just awesome. If you want to get away from it all and have an awesome dive vacation, stay at the Waidroka!

Room Tip: Splurge for a Bure! While all the accommodations were nice and clean, I loved waking up to the atmos...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
WAIDROKA, General Manager at Waidroka Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hi Jamie,

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay here at Waidroka Bay resort - we certainly enjoyed hosting you here and the diving was pretty exceptional whilst you were here. Thanks for your comprehensive review - I am sure it will be a great help to others thinking about coming to our beautiful piece of Fijian Paradise...

We will pass on your lovely comments about Bill's food - he'll be stoked!
Kind regards - and hope to see you again sometime.
Paul & Kirsti
PS - GREAT shot of that Bull shark btw :)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed about 14 days at the resort and had plenty of incredible diving. They said this would be the best place in the world to see hard and soft coral and they were not kidding. I have been diving since 1991 and have never seen so much coral. In addition we took a shark dive that blew my mind. That was the single handed most thrilling dive I have been on in my life. Lots to see and experience - my trip was incredible. Be sure to do some land activities as well. We visited a village and did the river rafting - both definately worth the money. The staff at Waidroka were very friendly and helpful. Food was great - BULU BILL!!! He was the chef. Rooms are nice and no bugs :) I will absolutely come back to Waidroka.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
WAIDROKA, General Manager at Waidroka Bay Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hi Jason,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your return. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time here both above and below the water. Thanks for mentioning the coral - the fish get all the good press normally.
Kind regards from all of the staff at Waidroka :)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Although I'm friends with the person who left the not so nice review, and I respect him as he's always been polite and friendly to me, I don't feel that his review alone is fair to the Waidroka Bay Resort and staff. I was on the same trip as him and on the exact same boat and dives, and have a completely different opinion of the accommodations and staff. I think it was a simple misunderstanding of expectations of both the remoteness of the resort and the level of diving (which is anywhere from beginner to advanced at this time of year - Sept). Waidroka Bay Resort is a cozy get away off the beat and path - ideally located for prime diving and surfing. I'll address his safety concerns in a bit, but first wanted to comment on how exceptional Kirsti, the general manager, was/is. She was extremely friendly, informative, and always willing to stop what she was doing to talk with us or help us in any way. In all of my traveling and diving over the years, Kirsti is one of the most enjoyable and professional people I've had the pleasure of diving with. Her organization and friendliness around the resort was simply comfortable and enjoyable! We would also look forward to dinner, for both the exceptional food prepared by their chef Bill, and for the added hospitality that the dive masters, surf guides, managers, etc would share with us – we’d sit down to eat and they were always eager to ask if they could sit next to us so we could share stories about diving, travel, etc. – they would always ask first, as not to intrude or assume… simply enjoyable. I could go on for days about the overall great experience, but I still want to follow up on the “concerns” from the other review:

As mentioned, this is a more secluded resort away from all the hustle and bustle, so don’t expect caviar and a presidential suite with Jacuzzi, etc. Although it isn’t a Hyatt presidential suite, the accommodations are very comfortable and clean!

When diving, you are always responsible for your own actions. EVERY single dive had a clear concise briefing AND dive plan. We always knew to let the DM know we were at 1500 psi (because they told us before every dive). The briefings were always accurate and with safety paramount. The DM’s would always check the waters to let us know what kind of current to expect, if any. As mentioned before, some of the dives were advanced due to strong current or surge. Every dive was clearly briefed to inform us of what to expect and what to avoid (if something needed to be avoided).

The diver surfacing with <200 psi was that divers fault for not telling his buddy or the DM about his remaining psi. On one of the dives a diver surfaced and didn’t catch the boat line in time (this was a dive with strong current – and this is not uncommon in these conditions). When she realized she was not going to be able to grab the line, she just relaxed. The boat crew was completely aware of her surfacing and missing the line, they were just giving her some time to see if she’d get to the line because she was swimming for it, but was in no way panicking. (she is an experienced diver and knew that they would either have a dm jump in without their bcd/tank/reg to get her or would pull anchor to go and get her) Since there were still more divers in the water, they sent a dm in to get her and she was easily towed to the line where they were able to get into the boat. The diver was safe the entire time and wasn’t even fatigued because she knew she was safe.

During one of our dive days we had a smaller boat transfer out some full tanks so that they wouldn’t have to pack all the extra weight onto the primary dive boat. The dive site was near the reef so the swells picked up on this site. The captains thought they could tie the two boats together (side by side) to get the tanks transferred, but because of the seas it was more challenging. The boats rubbed up against each other, as they do when you tie them together, but in no way would I call it a collision in my opinion. The captains did decide to move the boats to calmer water to make the transfer, but that was because it would be easier and safer for the person to move the tanks from the smaller boat to the larger one.

The last three all relate to the same incident which I noticed first hand. To preface this event, in my opinion, all safe diving is great diving, no matter your bottom time, how advanced you are, etc. As long as you are safe and having a good time without endangering yourself or anyone else, it is good diving. On this particular dive, all of the divers, except for T, have very good bottom time. During this dive, the DM checked on T’s air because they were aware that his air consumption rate was faster than the rest of the group. Once he got down to 1000 psi he wanted to surface, so one of the dive masters was paired up with him. T surfaced faster than the DM because the DM wanted to do his safety stop. So, T surfaced by himself after about 25 minutes. This was a 50-60 minute dive plan. When he surfaced, he swam to the boat he came out on, which was tied up to the 2nd boat in our group. The 2nd boat had an engine problem so the crew was on the 2nd boat working on the engine – they did not expect anyone to surface after only 25 minutes. The DM surfaced 3 minutes after T to assist him.

As mentioned, I think the unhappiness from the other review was due to a different set of expectations from what Waidroka Bay Resort advertises and offers, and from the level of diving (at times it was advanced due to surge and or strong current).

I personally had a great experience with Waidroka and all of their staff. I felt welcomed, comfortable, and had a great trip! I would definitely recommend Waidroka Bay Resort to all of my friends and family.

Thank you Waidroka Bay Resort for making my stay in Fiji a great and memorable experience!

Room Tip: If you want a little more seclusion, get a Bure. If you are just going for the prime diving, surfing...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Waidroka Bay Resort? Share your experiences!