“10 days of paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Korovisilou
Djibouti, Djibouti, Djibouti
“10 days of paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Our experiences at the Waidroka Bay Surf and Dive Resort was based around the amazing surfing spots in the area. Only a short boat drive to some world-class reef breaks, the surf was be enjoyed by all. I was an inexperienced surfer heading into this holiday, and wasn't sure what to expect. Surf guide Gil was the perfect mentor, providing some great advice to have the confidence to paddle on to bigger waves and have a ball in the water. Gil very quickly assessed our ability and tailored each of our sessions accordingly, helping us and paddling out to surf with us throughout. Along with Gil's great influence, the other staff (Paul and Kirsti, kitchen staff, dive staff, Ponte and Jaroh) were also phenomenal. Thank you to all the Waidroka team for an amazing holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just back from first trip to Fiji staying at Waidroka. Excellent location for Frigates (40 minutes) and around 6 local breaks (15 minute boat rides). Laid back resort, good food and accomm. Absolute highlight for our group (4 dads with our 4 sixteen year old boys) was Gil's surf guiding. Gil turned our trip into an adventure that will be very hard to improve on. Surfed every day, usually two sessions dependent on the tide in the best waves of our lives. Totally agree with Darren's comments below (who was charging when we were there), very well said Darren! Fantastic Fijians working at the resort - Ponte, Jaro and the wonderful ladies all made it very special. Paul and Kirsti accommodated all our needs. a great experience, but special credit to Gil. thanks!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mona Vale, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Beautiful resort with a welcoming and relaxed vibe. Friendly and helpfull staff willing to please. Delicious fresh food. Short boat trip from out the front to some awesome uncrowded waves. Max crowd was 12. Fiji Pipe goes off big time!!! Love the day out at Frigates, (great long wallee lefts) where I saw a Manta Ray leap out of the water!
Got to get my open water dive ticket and go back to do the shark dive, where they hand feed bull/tiger/nurse and reef sharks. The footage I saw of it was mindblowing

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had a preconceived view of what to expect from Waidroka, & was expecting a no thrills basic holiday. Instead, I received an amazing 7 days with 7 near perfect surfs at various breaks with an exceptional surf guide called Gil. Gil found us the best surf breaks & led by example how to ride the waves & how to conduct ourselves while surfing - legend! Back at Waidroka, the resort served us well. Clean & tidy. The other managers were a delight to be with for dinner, drinks or for any occasion. They are all such hard workers & genuinely lovely people to be around. Therefore, I am very happy with Waidroka Bay Resort, & would recommend it to any surfer or diver!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

On my third trip to Fiji and first time at Waidroka, last month (Feb 2013) my partner and I stayed 5 nights in the panoramic room and loved every aspect of our stay! We wish we could have stayed longer.

We surfed 4 out of 5 days at Frigates which was awesome and the last day at Pipes which was also great fun. Gil, our surf guide, was professional, informative and passionate about surfing and making sure everyone was having an incredible experience. He has a cheerful personality and genuinely cares about people! I found Frigates to be quite challenging at first, but Gil was encouraging, made me feel totally at ease, helped me get into the right take off spot and I got the waves of my life! I've hired surf guides in Bali and Lombok and have never come across such a fantastic guide before, Gil really goes above and beyond. Ponte drove the boat for us and he's a great guy, really added to the whole wonderful experience.

One trip to Frigates combined surf & dive and Boris took us diving. This was also an incredible experience. I went diving with another operator in the Coral Coast and it was pretty bad, old equipment, the reg leaked water into my mouth the whole dive and the dive master was just doing his own thing, without looking back to make sure we were all together. Waidroka has good equipment and Boris was extremely attentive and aware. He is a terrific dive master as well as host and a wealth of information. He and Gil ensured we were well catered for both on water and on land. My vegetarian meals were delicious (a pleasant surprise) and the communal dining tables (great for meeting other guests), Leticia, Merrian and all the staff made the dining experience on par with the overall excellence.

The panoramic room was clean and comfortable with a great view. Having a bar fridge and tea/coffee making facilities in the room was convenient and certainly made for a more comfortable experience (rather than having to go to the restaurant for everything).

I went to 2 other places in Fiji afterward and Waidroka is a standout by far. Can't wait to go there again!

Room Tip: Panoramic rooms have a great view and are only a couple minutes walk down stairs to the restaurant.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Austinmer, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was, by far, one of the best trips my husband and I have ever been on together. While at Waidroka, I experienced the best diving of my life (thank you Rick, Alison and Ponte); warm, genuine, welcoming staff (it was such a pleasure to meet you Boris and Gil); beautiful, clean, comfortable rooms; a phenomenal variety of fantastic, freshly prepared food (catered for my vegan diet); a relaxing atmosphere with lots of activities to keep everyone entertained and superb surf - all at a surprisingly affordable rate! What more could anyone ask for? I can't wait to go back and visit again.

Room Tip: Ocean front bures are fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was our first trip to Fiji and I was completely blown away by Waidroka. It is a peaceful resort set in beautiful pristine rainforest. The staff are all fantastic and go out of their way to make you feel welcome, I especially enjoyed meal times when everyone sits around a large table to catch up on their days activities and eat delicious local Fijian dishes.
Our surf trips were great, surfing uncrowded waves was a real treat and Gil the surf guide always found the best waves for the weather conditions and ability of the surfers. Gil was great fun but always kept an eye on everyone to make sure we were all safe-when my partner snapped his leg rope Gil retrieved his board from the reef immediately.
A stay at Waidroka is definitely an activity holiday in paradise. There is so much on offer there, and of course if you want you can just chill with a good book and simply enjoy the surroundings. We will definitely return

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Waidroka Bay Resort? Share your experiences!