“Peaceful paradise and clear blue water - a surf/scuba/snorkel dream” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matanivusi Surf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vunaniu
Matanivusi Surf Resort
You added Matanivusi Surf Resort to your Saves list
P.O. Box 316, Vunaniu, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Special Offer
World First !
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vunaniu
Parma
“Peaceful paradise and clear blue water - a surf/scuba/snorkel dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

A dream come true! Every aspect of our trip was wonderful at Matanivusi. The resort is very intimate and primarily caters to surfing on local reef breaks or a bit further our at Frigates. The local boat drivers take great care of their guests. You basically just need to decide each day whether you'd like to go on a surf trip, scuba, snorkel, kayak, etc and the rest is sorted for you. My friends and I paddle boarded every day for about two weeks - the boards (and kayaks) are right on the beach and the lagoon is very easy to launch the boards. You can also snorkel in the lagoon when the tide is high.

The owners organized a scuba recertification for me with two wonderful instructors who took me on four dives, and we were able to get my PADI certification completed! :-) On our dives, we saw white tip sharks, a huge eagle ray, a big turtle, lobster, two nudibranchs mating (sorry you two!) and spectacular coral and brilliant fish. If you love scuba and snorkel you'll be impressed here, inside or outside the reef.

The charms of Matanivusi can be credited to the scenery and the ocean in part, but the real players are the owners and the staff. Fijians from the nearby village take care of much of the duties at Matanivusi, with a skilled kitchen staff as well. Really great people to spend time with at one of the most beautiful and peaceful places in the world. We left feeling that we'd met new life ling friends.

The masseuse who comes to your room is so awesome as a person and you'll be guaranteed a great massage! (I had two, heehee)

Some guests went on excursions, such as a waterfall or into Suva town. My friends and I were so comfortable at Matanivusi either out in the water or lounging by the pool that we stayed on site for two weeks and even then didn't want to leave!!

Thank You Matanivusi!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We are not surfers, but went to help celebrate a surfer friend's "significant birthday". The accommodation was special, beautifully appointed and with a position to die for - nestled in the rainforest and coconut palms and only 4 steps to the beach. We found plenty to do (snorkelling, kayaking, walking, visiting the local village and kinder) when we chose, the rest of the time we read and slept. The staff were all attentive and friendly, (a special thank you to Kevu who looked after us like a father, always with a smile and a sense of humour.) Brian and Donna were extremely efficient and helpful and went out of their way to meet our every request with the minimum of fuss. Thank you all for making this a special holiday we will always remember.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Goldcoast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

If you are looking for a holiday to cater for a surfing Husband , small child or children , and a tired Mother this is where you want to stay. We recently spent 8 days at the resort and had an amazing time . They say " furniture makes a house " in this case the staff make the resort.
Brian the owner was so helpful and friendly and the staff went out of there way to look after us all especially my 3 yr old Daughter . The food was great the bunglows very spacious and clean. All in all super relaxing holiday without the hype or structure of a big resort . What I enjoyed most was that everyone was happy , my Husband surfed , my Daughter played with the staff and I relaxed knowing that everyone was happy. If you are traveling with small children I recommend having a night in Daneru or Nadi as its a good 2.5 hrs from the airport . I would happily return !

Room Tip: If you have small children request a bungalow close to the restaurant
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Had a great stay with Brian and Donna over Easter. Rooms were great, Food was even better and got some good waves. Plenty to do if the waves are flat. My Girlfriend and I only stayed three nights and wish we'd stayed longer! Will be going back soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently holidayed here with my partner and his family (brother and father) and their partners. All the men surf and it worked out perfectly, while they got up early and went surfing the girls would sleep in and have brunch. Then the staff would come and see what activities you would like to do, fishing, snorkelling, plantation walk, hill lookout walk (definitely a must-do), beach walk anything really! There are standup paddle boards, kayaks and mountain bikes just to name a few things available, and even better they are all included in your room rate. As well as books, and other games, cards and chess available for the lazy afternoons.
The meals are held altogether between certain times, with a sit down time for dinner. This made getting to know the other guests very easy (although I was normally too tired and would trot off to bed early!). This also made it a very casual atmosphere, the service by the wait/bar staff was amazing, very hospitable and nothing was a problem.
Mealtimes were set but flexible and accommodating, especially to the guests that went out surfing. As soon as we entered the village and entered the resort it was immediate relaxation. The resort is so tranquil and quiet, and is the ultimate in eco living. All the bures are built around the rainforest and landscape. No clearing or chainsaws heard here! The showers are gas heated and the water source is rainwater. Neither of these caused problems for us and added to the relaxation. The only thing you could hear at night that woke be up suddenly a few times were the coconuts dropping down onto the roof! But this simply adds to the resorts eco-appeal and relaxation. Did not hear one plane or car while I was there. This seclusion more than made up for the 2hr bumpy car trip each way. It was well worth it when we got there.
I would definitely go back again, it was my father-in-laws 3rd time there and my brother-in-laws 2nd.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Matanivusi for our honeymoon, and it was perfect. We were there to surf, and that's what we got to do! In between great waves we enjoyed fantastic food, really friendly staff and lots of relaxation time (including awesome massages by Suzie). The bures are simple but clean and have a great bathroom. Air con would have been welcome as it was really hot and muggy, but we managed okay with our regular dips in the pool and ocean! Donna and Brian are fantastic hosts, and their staff are lovely. It was great to see the connection between the resort and the local village Vunaniu. Once the yoga retreat is built Matanivusi will cater to people who have interests outside of surfing, but I'd be happy with it just the way it is - empty waves and a chilled place to enjoy them! Thanks for a perfect honeymoon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I spent a week at Mantanivusi with my daughter in January. It was the most relaxing holiday I have had. The food was great, location is amazing and the staff made us feel very welcome. It was nice to be greeted each morning by name and a big smile.

I am not a surfer but enjoyed hearing all the stories while having sunset snacks and cocktails by the pool at the end of the day

A place where you can do as much or as little as you like. For me, it was all about relaxation and I was not disappointed. I can also highly recommend Susy for a great massage.

Highlight for me (apart from the amazing pool) was the Kava session and Lovo.

Thank you Donna and Brian, we will be back

PS. A big thank you also to Tony and Lesi, you guys are awesome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Matanivusi Surf Resort? Share your experiences!