“ALL YOU WANT” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matanivusi Surf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vunaniu
Matanivusi Surf Resort
P.O. Box 316, Vunaniu, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Vunaniu
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“ALL YOU WANT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

At first I thought "what have we gotten ourselves into". Isolated and eco friendly, this resort tops them all. The staff are amazing and make you feel like part of the family. If you want hustle and bustle, this isn't the place for you. The ultimate place to chill and allow yourself to get ointo "Fiji time". Highly recommend it to everyone. Bula vinaka xx

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I escaped to Matanivusi from Suva for a weekend of relaxing and what a spot to relax! Brian and Donna and all the local staff are wonderful! There are a heap of activities to choose from including surfing, snorkelling, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding to name a few. The resort is small and hidden, which really makes you feel you are in the middle of beautiful nowhere. I highly recommend this spot for people looking for a home away from home style resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Matanivusi is a wonderfully designed small resort that respects the environment where it has been built. You can bearly see it from the sea.
The owners make you feel at home. The rooms/bures are big, comfortable and relaxing, with king size beds, yet you can go solo and only pay for yourself.
The beach is not for swimmimg, since there are rocks and seaweed but the lagoon is stunning and perfect for water sports, so you do not even miss that, you can just enjoy walking under the palm trees along the bay.
Only 10 rooms ensure relaxation and pacefulness.
The food is included in the price and could be the only thing they could improve, both quality and quantity.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BrizVegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were a family of Mum/Dad and 3 young children (ages 5,4,1). We don’t surf but were tipped off by a friend who lives in Suva to stay here and we loved it. It didn’t matter we didn’t surf and we didn’t feel differentiated to any of the other guests because of this. We loved the low key atmosphere of the place, the pool, paddle boards, boat trips, kayaks, fishing, lazy beach time, afternoon sleeps, champagne sunsets. The design of the bures and overall resort has been very well thought through and really respects the environment. Loved the connecting doors between the bures – this allowed us to sleep the children in connecting bure and us to have a room. The staff are just beautiful and extremely accomodating. Nothing is a problem – they really do go out of there way to help but aren’t intrusive at all – you certainly feel relaxed and are given space for privacy ! The food is great and the kitchen staff were so lovely organising baby meals for me. I can’t really find any faults, only one annoyance and that was it seems they have resident dogs who really were a nuisance for us _ maybe this was because we had small children that I found this irritating….unfortunately it just took the edge of things for me. But really this place is 10 out of 10 in every way. A really really lovely holiday, worth every cent. definetly recommend.

Room Tip: all rooms are the same... as someone said it only depends if you want to be 10m away from the pool/r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Matanivusi for six nights in May 2012 with our 19 month old daughter. The resort is great combination of luxury and activities - especially surfing - and it should definitely appease the partner of the serious surfer. Accommodation comprises well designed and immaculate bungalows a few feet from the lagoon beach. These are set in forest with boardwalks to the common restaurant and pool area.

The only other caveat I would add is that the resort’s design is not hugely toddler friendly with large drops of the sides of the unfenced desk and boardwalks. The upside though was being able to put our daughter down to sleep and go to diner without her every night (our bungalow was only 20 foot away). For anybody else sans toddler I highly recommend the resort.

The food at the resort was absolutely excellent and the staff were very good too (adept at amusing my daughter as well). I really liked the fact that the local Fijians that work at Matanivusi seem to enjoy engaging with the guests and taking them to visit their village. It’s not forced or cheesy unlike some of the big so called “5 star” resorts.

Lunch and dinner is communal eating, which I liked, but it may not appeal to everybody. The owner Donna is a great lady (unfortunately her husband was away we when we stayed) and has plenty of good stories to regale the guests with.

There are a number of activities on offer or lazing by the pool for the more sedentary. The resort is situated on a tidal lagoon, so some water activities such as snorkelling or stand up paddle boarding need the high tide (and accessing surf breaks such as Frigates in the bigger boat also needs the high tide). There are some sandy little beaches in the lagoon though.

The surf gods didn’t really come to the party the week I was there but I still managed to surf every day in 1-3 foot waves, which were the remnants of the prior week bigger swell. There was next to no crowd (I surfed Frigates Passage at 2-3 foot with only three others in the water) and another couple of breaks I surfed closer to the resort were fun. So no complaints.

I would love to get back there again some time soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Matanivusi is simply perfect...great surf, luxurious but not commercial in any way and relaxing.
But what really sets this place apart is the people...Brian and Donna and their staff: Lesi, Ben, Tony and Sevi were the best hosts I have had anywhere in all of my travels.
It is like going to stay at some of your favorite relatives or friends place but with a staff that takes care of everything. The Family style dinners were very enjoyable, everyone eats/drinks together and the food was very good food. The area offers allot to do: Surf trips by boat, stand up paddling, drinking cocktails and relaxing by the pool or beach or excursions in the surrounding area. Donna arranged the Beqa shark dive for us which was truly exceptional..a world class dive with huge bull sharks (no cage).
The only downside to staying here is that as I continued to travel throughout the Fijian islands I had to listen to Mabel say "I wish we were back at Matanivusi" multiple times a day. Ended a great vacation by going back to spend the last night there.
Thanks again Brian and Donna! I will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We recently spent a week here and it was more like staying with friends than being a 'customer'. The resort, rooms, facilities themselves are great, but what really makes this place are the owners and the staff. Everything was taken care of and nothing too much trouble. While my partner was out enjoying the surf, I (non-surfer) could get up to as much or as little as I liked - relaxing by the pool or the activities guys (Kevu and Wais were fantastic) were always on hand for whatever you wanted to get up to, snorkling various locations, kayaking, stand up paddle boards, trips/tours. Plenty for non surfers. Everything was personalised to what you wanted to do and not a week of scheduled activities as the next resort we visited was. Similarly, it was great value for money with a lot of activities included in the price (again, at the following resort each time we wanted to go snorkling was an additional charge - here we could do as much as we wanted included). Not to mention the food - it was amazing and plentiful! It is a very relaxed place but you are extremely well looked after. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Matanivusi Surf Resort? Share your experiences!