“Surfing Holiday in Style” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matanivusi Surf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vunaniu
Matanivusi Surf Resort
Save Saved
You added Matanivusi Surf Resort to your Saves list
P.O. Box 316, Vunaniu, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Vunaniu
Sydney, Australia
“Surfing Holiday in Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Matanivusi for six nights in May 2012 with our 19 month old daughter. The resort is great combination of luxury and activities - especially surfing - and it should definitely appease the partner of the serious surfer. Accommodation comprises well designed and immaculate bungalows a few feet from the lagoon beach. These are set in forest with boardwalks to the common restaurant and pool area.

The only other caveat I would add is that the resort’s design is not hugely toddler friendly with large drops of the sides of the unfenced desk and boardwalks. The upside though was being able to put our daughter down to sleep and go to diner without her every night (our bungalow was only 20 foot away). For anybody else sans toddler I highly recommend the resort.

The food at the resort was absolutely excellent and the staff were very good too (adept at amusing my daughter as well). I really liked the fact that the local Fijians that work at Matanivusi seem to enjoy engaging with the guests and taking them to visit their village. It’s not forced or cheesy unlike some of the big so called “5 star” resorts.

Lunch and dinner is communal eating, which I liked, but it may not appeal to everybody. The owner Donna is a great lady (unfortunately her husband was away we when we stayed) and has plenty of good stories to regale the guests with.

There are a number of activities on offer or lazing by the pool for the more sedentary. The resort is situated on a tidal lagoon, so some water activities such as snorkelling or stand up paddle boarding need the high tide (and accessing surf breaks such as Frigates in the bigger boat also needs the high tide). There are some sandy little beaches in the lagoon though.

The surf gods didn’t really come to the party the week I was there but I still managed to surf every day in 1-3 foot waves, which were the remnants of the prior week bigger swell. There was next to no crowd (I surfed Frigates Passage at 2-3 foot with only three others in the water) and another couple of breaks I surfed closer to the resort were fun. So no complaints.

I would love to get back there again some time soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Matanivusi is simply perfect...great surf, luxurious but not commercial in any way and relaxing.
But what really sets this place apart is the people...Brian and Donna and their staff: Lesi, Ben, Tony and Sevi were the best hosts I have had anywhere in all of my travels.
It is like going to stay at some of your favorite relatives or friends place but with a staff that takes care of everything. The Family style dinners were very enjoyable, everyone eats/drinks together and the food was very good food. The area offers allot to do: Surf trips by boat, stand up paddling, drinking cocktails and relaxing by the pool or beach or excursions in the surrounding area. Donna arranged the Beqa shark dive for us which was truly exceptional..a world class dive with huge bull sharks (no cage).
The only downside to staying here is that as I continued to travel throughout the Fijian islands I had to listen to Mabel say "I wish we were back at Matanivusi" multiple times a day. Ended a great vacation by going back to spend the last night there.
Thanks again Brian and Donna! I will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We recently spent a week here and it was more like staying with friends than being a 'customer'. The resort, rooms, facilities themselves are great, but what really makes this place are the owners and the staff. Everything was taken care of and nothing too much trouble. While my partner was out enjoying the surf, I (non-surfer) could get up to as much or as little as I liked - relaxing by the pool or the activities guys (Kevu and Wais were fantastic) were always on hand for whatever you wanted to get up to, snorkling various locations, kayaking, stand up paddle boards, trips/tours. Plenty for non surfers. Everything was personalised to what you wanted to do and not a week of scheduled activities as the next resort we visited was. Similarly, it was great value for money with a lot of activities included in the price (again, at the following resort each time we wanted to go snorkling was an additional charge - here we could do as much as we wanted included). Not to mention the food - it was amazing and plentiful! It is a very relaxed place but you are extremely well looked after. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gympie Qld
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

A surf resort? Yes. But also a great place to go for a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday. You can do as much or as little as you want. The pool area is just great for reading a book, chatting with other guests, relaxing with a cuppa (or cocktail) and taking in the magnificent view. The meals are served around the pool area and are very casual affairs. Food is divine. Dinner at night has everyone at the one big table. Great socialising, but if you wanted a quiet dinner on your private deck that is an option also.
The burres are well hidden between the lush greenery and colourful flowers. Very comfortable and spacious and serviced daily.
I went snorkelling nearly every day. You can walk out about 50 metres and find lovely coral and colourful fish. Or Donna & Brian will take you out to deeper water.
The stand up paddleboarding was a new and enjoyable experience for me and made easier by the fact that the boards are just there for the taking. No booking them out or putting your name on a list. So effortless.
Donna & Brian were the perfect hosts. Only too happy to help you have a wonderful holiday in any way they can.
I don't surf, but that didn't matter. Had a ball.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
cronulla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

How many times do you enjoy a holiday so much and vow "we'll definitely be back" never to return as you get caught up with other destinations and experiences. Well for the first time ever we kept our word and returned to Brian and Donna's little slice of paradise, albeit 2 years later. Testament to them that most of the staff are still working there - Lesi, Tony, Kefu, Sevi all remembered us and the kids and made us feel like long lost family members.
Both the food and surf were even better than last time. This time we took 3 new families including some well travelled ones and all, including many non surfers, were totally enthralled by the place and the people.
Thanks so much Brian and Donna for making our trip so special, it really did feel like "coming home". I'll say it again "we will return", maybe not next year (the Mentawis beckon) but there is no doubt that Matanivusi will become a regular destination for us.

Room Tip: Every room faces the lagoon, your only decision is how far you want to be from the restaurant, 10 m...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My wife (non-surfer) and I have just spent a week with the wonderful crew at Matanivusi! Brian, Donna and staff were friendly, accommodating and made us feel at home. No request was too difficult and our expectations were met or exceeded.
The surf was consistent and uncrowded, with only 3 guests and Brian or Lesi (from Matanivusi) in the water most days. We surfed 5 breaks over the 7 days which provided a variety of right and left's.
If you are looking for a secluded locations with good food and friendly staff, this will meet your needs.The big selling points for us were the small number of guests, the personal service, the quiet location and easy access to great waves.
A big thank you to Brian, Donna and staff for your personal service and ensuring our week was one to remember. See you again .....!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Blackwater, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I just enjoyed the most amazing 8 days of paradise with my girlfriends. My girlfriends & I needed a break away from the rush we all call life. We were picked up from the airport & from there we laughed & giggled for the rest of our 8 days of fun & sun. Bryan, Donna & staff pampered us totally. The food was healthy & yummy. The cocktails were divine. Our rooms were cleaned daily & the view was breathtaking. The service was impecciable. We enjoyed snorkling, kayaking, paddleboarding, whitewater rafting, water basketball, swimming, hot spa and most important...resting. On top of my lists of greats was the friendly non intrusive customer service. There is so much to do or not to do. We are not surfers but we enjoyed Matanivusi Resort. I would highly recommend Matanivusi Resort to everyone. I miss my new Fiji family & I will return. Thank you Donna, Bryan & staff for an amazing unforgettable restful holiday. Did I mention the divine cocktails :)

Room Tip: All rooms are on the water with breath taking views
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Matanivusi Surf Resort? Share your experiences!