“Nice stay, good but overpriced food” 4 of 5 stars

The Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   149 State Route 64, PO Box 3319, Tusayan, AZ 86023   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Tusayan
Utica, Ohio
“Nice stay, good but overpriced food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here on a recent trip to the Grand Canyon. The hotel is located just south of the park, but the convenience of being in town was nice. The hotel itself is very nice and clean. The service was great at the front desk, including providing recommendations on which point on the Grand Canyon was best for viewing a sunset. We stayed on the third floor, which was being renovated. We were worried about the noise, but the workers were either super quiet or were working during the day when we were away. The renovated space was very nice.

Then there's the restaurant. We ate there because we were tired from a day of traveling and just wanted a decent meal. I ordered the NY strip steak and baked potato. The NY Strip was good, but not the best steak I've ever had. I would have been fine with the quality of the steak, but the price was a premium at $38. For that price, I expect an excellent steak, not just good. My partner's meal was also just okay, and overpriced. Bear in mind that your food options are pretty limited in the area too.

Overall, good experience and would go back, but would avoid the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Thai first
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

On a whim we decided to stay overnight at the Grand Canyon. We chose this hotel for its location and it was pet friendly. The lobby is beautiful and has a gas fireplace. Good thing, because we had to wait a long time for our room to be ready. We were able to check into one room, but the second one was still being cleaned. Now these folks saw 3 adults and a dog sitting there for 1.5 hours, past 5 o clock. I thought surely they would alert us when our rooms was ready. Finally my husband advised me to go inquire. The desk is about 100 feet from where we were sitting. "Oh yes it's ready". REALLY?????? I never will understand that one…… So we get into the room and if it wasn't already late and we were tired I probably would have bailed. The room was gross. The carpet had a hole in it. The bedspread was from 1980 something. The bathroom was super dated. I don't even remember if the TV was updated. At one point I smelled gas and went to alert the front desk. They said "oh that is the dryer" its fine… REALLY???? Its right across from my room! There is a steak restaurant in the hotel. We opted for take out pizza. Dining choices are super limited around here. The gift shop was quite nice and prices were fair! I stocked up on souvenirs here. The hotel is super close to the park entrance so it was great for that!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My partner and I drove from Las Vegas to this hotel for what was supposed to be a nice trip to the south rim grand canyon. It was our first time here. We Arrived on Friday 1/6 at night. Asked the receptionist if we could upgrade to a better room at check in and was told we had an upgraded room. The lobby looks nice and the gift shop is convenient. However our room was on the third floor. Walking to the room all the rugs are worn down and it definitely needs updating. The room # was 336 deluxe room with balcony over looking the parking lot. The room has been updated with a nice new bathroom, granite counter tops. The room includes two queen beds, coat rack no closet, desk, end table and desk area with chair. It also has an area with an old safe, old microwave and the worst kurig coffee maker I have ever used. However the rooms here do not have central heat or a/c. They have the annoying hot/cold wall units found in most motels. We had complaints to the front desk concerning stains on floor, no body wash, and finally no ice. None of the ice machines on the 3rd and 2nd floors worked. When asked why they were not working no one could say. Needless to say we are checking out a day early. Wish we had stayed at the Best Western across the street.

Room Tip: Do not accept anything other than a deluxe room with balcony. Most other rooms that have just king...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Riverside County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The was my third trip to the Canyon and the first time I did not stay in Williams and take the train in. This hotel is about 1 1/2 miles outside the South Rim gate. Part of the year, there is a shuttle stop here but not in the Fall and Winter months. We went in the winter so I had to drive in every day. It is about a 20 minute drive to the Village. The rooms were very comfortable but nothing fancy. They have queen size beds and not double beds in their double rooms. So 4 people could stay in one room comfortably. We had a balcony room but did not use it as it was cold during the day and below freezing at night. They were in the process of renovating some of the rooms so nice rooms will be even nicer. The downside was there was no small refrigerator in the room just a coffee pot and a microwave. The coffee pot is a Keruig single serve pot and they give you plenty of coffee. Also the TV had a limited amount of channels. The cost was $90 with the AAA discount for a week day stay. This was the cheapest in the area at the time. But keep in mind that this was winter. It will be a lot more than that in the Summer. Another downside were the food choices in the hotel were limited but the ones outside are not that much better. A burger combination at McDonald's or Wendy's was over $10. You can find better and more reasonably priced food choices in the Village. I would definitely stay here again when I visit the Canyon.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony if you stay in the warmer months. It would be worth it.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Bolton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed here and we were very happy with the entire experience.
The rooms were clean as well as the rest of the hotel and even though they were under some construction at the time, everything was kept in one spot at a time and it did not inconvenience us in any way or take away from our enjoyment.
All the staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My family and I make an annual trip to Denver in the winter time and always stop for a night in Tusayan. We spotted The Grand last year and visited the lobby to check it out. It is definitely better than the other hotels we've tried in Tusayan. The beds were very comfortable, the restaurant is convenient and the lobby is inviting - a great place to hang out. There is also a gift shop which is another convenience if you're on your way during the holidays and have one more gift to buy.

As a comparison, we've also stayed in the park at several of the concessions. They are expensive, small, very noisy, and in need of upgrades. I haven't stayed at El Tovar so I can't compare the accommodations at the beautiful old hotel but The Grand is a bargain compared to the Thunderbird Lodge.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Bangor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The room was real nice, it was real close to the door so that we could take our dogs out side when they needed to do there thing :) We did find it was on the cool side a lot of cold air around the windows even with the heat turned up I even put a towel around the window & closed the drapes.
I Loved to pool & hot tub OMG it was so relaxing Awesome :)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!