“Lovely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Tusayan
Australia
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The hotel is situated no more than a 15 minute drive from the Canyon. It has a gorgeous rustic feel, and the downstairs bar does great lunch and dinner. The rooms are cosy, with a fridge and a microwave. Breakfast is not included but can be purchased for a fee. Perfect hotel for a stop over at the Grand Canyon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Thai first
Durango
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Had a very nice stay here. The location is good, right outside the entrance to the park. The restaurant is very good, had one of there steak dinners which was delicious and very filling, I couldn't finish it all. I thought it was a little pricey but ..... it was good. The atmosphere is nice like being in a mountain lodge and the staff was very nice. Didn't use the pool or spa, looked nice and clean. The rooms were comfy, looked like they had upgraded many of the things but not all which I thought was a little odd but nothing I would hold against the quality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winter Garden, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel end of January of 2012. The hotel could use a bit of a face lift but the rooms were very clean and the service was great. We had dinner at the restaurant one night and were very pleased with the meal (it was very good). The service was something different. The waiter took too long to bring us drinks and and got our order wrong. We booked two rooms here (one for us and our kids and one for my parents). We were all very happy. It snowed while were where there and someone from the hotel was nice enough to scape our windows for us even though the gift shop was selling scrapers. We would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hi Folks,
We travelled here back in April 2011, and enjoyed the location so much that we repeated our booking in September 2012..Travelling from Melboure Australia - thus is no mean feat !!
Location is great, really easy to explore the South Rim, rooms nice and clean, kids loved the pool, and right next door to a Indian trading post (just ready to take your cash - and they did !!). When we first stayed, kids did the Indian dance in the dinner area - a real blast and something different for us. Would highly recommend - staff great, new the exact time for an early morning wake up (much to the kids disappointment), don't forget to visit Smokey as you travel to the South Rim !.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

When we drove into town we decided to stay here. The customer service at the front desk was great and we got an excellent room. It was perfect for our family of four. We ate at the restaurant and the customer service was terrible. Our server never asked us what we wanted to drink, didn't clear our appetizer and didn't clear our menus. We waited a long time each time before she came back. Never brought us a take out box or our bill so I had to ask the hostess for it. Next morning we went to the espresso place and the gentleman was on the phone and never helped us. We left. Food quality at the restaurant was excellent, unfortunately service made it so we would never eat there again.

• Stayed January 2013
New Albany, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Once upon a time I worked at the Grand Canyon--both North Rim and South. I will always consider this place my home. When the occasion came for me to take my son to the South Rim for Christmas Eve, I really wanted to stay in the cabins at the Bright Angel, but of course they were sold out. When I spotted the Groupon for The Grand, I decided to go with that because the pool and cowboy theme would be fun for my six year old. I didn't have the highest expectations, but the staff did indeed surpass and deliver. My main request was for the Christmas Eve staff to place my son's Christmas gifts under the lobby tree--and they did! They placed the Toy Story Bull's Eye and Jessie doll on the toy train with a hand-written note from Santa! Such joy for our cowboy adventure!
The amazing housekeeping staff was so generous to clean out our rental car after my son got sick. The breakfast was filling and service was great. Dinner service was friendly as well, but prices were a little high--dip into the El Tovar if you can for dinner.
The pool and hot tub were perks as well and great for the kids.
If I have to stay in a hotel on the South Rim again, I will consider the Grand Hotel. Thank you for the wonderful Christmas memories!

Room Tip: We loved the music on Christmas Eve, but maybe more Christmas Eve activities?
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TheGrandHotelGM, Manager at The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon, responded to this review, March 9, 2015
Thank you so much for staying with us. Your business is greatly appreciated.
Queen Creek AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Hi I stayed at this hotel Jan 2,3 2013 & found its hotel staff to be very helpful & friendly. The lady behind the front desk went out of her way was super friendly & was a wealth of information about the area. The hotel is old, but is kept nicely clean depending on your outlook it does need modern upgrades.

The restaurant need work and its under staff and not focuses on full service, and cleanliness of the area after removing old plates. The first night for dinner I had the rib eye steak at the bar area and was the best steak I had in while from any hotel. The bartender “David” was great. The problem was the second night at the bar with the menu and the appetizers the wings were overcook and dry, potatoes skins were overcook, the dip was doughy and not that good.

I did report it to both the restaurant and GM of the hotel we will see if there is improvement.

The wifi need work as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon? Share your experiences!