“Great Place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Tusayan
wever ia
“Great Place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Spent two nights and staff was friendly, hotel quiet and close to the park. Free breakfast was true bargain as Macdonald's across street was most expensive I've ever visited. Attractive area art and motif on display throughout.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Heather V, Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Grand Canyon Squire Inn, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear mark m,
I am so pleased that you chose to stay with us on your family's recent trip to the Grand Canyon. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and letting us know about your experience. You are absolutely correct that this is one of the most expensive McDonalds in the United States and am glad you had the opportunity to join us for breakfast. Happy Holidays to you and your family,

2,891 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

From arrival to departure I cannot think of a bad thing to say about the hotel. Super friendly staff, super clean room and good breakfast included. Free wi-fi was included along with an excellent coffee maker in the room. Large room with 2 queen beds which were very comfortable and a large flat screen tv.

The hotel is just outside the national park but only a few minutes drive to the South rim. Good selection of restaurants nearby.

Dear Peter D-B,
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the Grand Canyon. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! I will absolutely pass your comments on to our staff as I know they all take great pride in assisting our guests. I hope you have wonderful Holidays!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

After traveling for 5 hrs we arrived at our hotel (Holiday Inn Express). The staff at our hotel recommended the dining facilities at the Best Western. Our family ate in the Sports Bar and had a wonderful meal with great prices. It was my husbands 51st Birthday and the staff without being asked brought my husband a beautiful slice of cake with candle and sang Happy Birthday to him. This meant a lot to us. It was very thoughtful. We enjoyed our stay in Tusayan and hope to visit again. We plan on dining often at this wonderful hotel during our stay. Thank you!
Bill & Karen Emling
Oregonia, OH

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kwaldron98,
Thank you for your kind review. I will absolutely pass your comments on to our food and beverage department. I hope that next time you have a chance to visit the Grand Canyon you will choose to stay with us as well. I hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season and safe travels,
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

everything was perfect, very nice hotel, very clean and comfortable. the staff was very friendly and we even got an upgrade without asking, I would recomend this hotel to any one. It is very good value for the money at this time of year

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear TAM S,
Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent visit to the Grand Canyon and your kind review. I will pass all of your compliments on to our staff - we are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope you have Happy Holidays,
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My lady and I took a trip to the Grand Canyon and spent one night in this hotel. The property from the outside doesn't look so nice, but walking into the lobby is much nicer. When I booked my room I booked a standard room with a king bed. Some times when you book a room, you book the size and request a king or two queens, and other times you are booking a specific bed type. Well in this case I was able to pick a room with a king bed, it was not a non-guaranteed request, like asking for a high floor, it was specifically what I booked. Well of course when I checked in they did not have that available and told me that was a requested option not a guaranteed option. However, to their credit, before I could even complain the lady checking me in attempted to fix the problem by upgrading me to their deluxe room. So it still had 2 queens instead of the king, but it was much larger, it was in their main building (which was a big plus, especially with the cold weather), and was a more expensive room (which they gave me for the same price). So I thought that was fair and I liked that they took care of it, without me having to complain. The staff were also friendly and happy to answer any questions.

The room was nice. It had a large bathroom, with a large tub. It also had a separate makeup counter and sink outside the bathroom, which my lady loved! It was clean, however I felt it could use some new carpet, it was pretty stained up and felt very old. It also seemed their attention to detail in maintenance wasn't so great, one example was our shower controls were backwards. Turning it towards hot was really cold, and towards cold was really hot (not that big of a deal). I personally did not sleep well either because I could hear everything that was going on in the hallway all night. Every time someone anywhere near our room opened or closed a door, it sounded like they were opening and closing our door.

On a good note there were a lot of amenities to staying there. It was less then 5min to the entrance to the Grand Canyon. Parking was free. Several restaurants on property and plenty within a minute of the property. For families there was an arcade and I was told a small bowling ally (although I did not use these features). And I think my favorite part of staying there was the free breakfast. It was not just a boring cold continental breakfast. They had several hot options like eggs, French toast, and oatmeal, as well as lots of fresh fruit and all the normal cold stuff. It was perfect

This area is not known for its beautiful hotels, So I would definitely stay here again if I return. I think it is definitely one of the best options in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Heather V, Manager at BEST WESTERN PREMIER Grand Canyon Squire Inn, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear zimm415,
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to the Grand Canyon. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I wanted to let you know that we are installing new carpet in January and at the same time, our maintenance staff is actively going through each room and correcting any issues. I am sorry that I don't know how you made your reservation so I cannot look to see the request for the one king bed, but am glad that we were able to upgrade you to our deluxe room. I hope that you will stay with us in the future and hope that your Holidays are safe and happy. Sincerely, Heather
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This was the biggest, nicest room that we ever had for the price in 35 years of travel. The whole hotel was pleasant and well decorated. The staff was very friendly and as helpful as could be. There was a full time concierge that we spoke with, but on our first night the desk clerk also gave us information on what to do in the area. The room was cleaned and restocked well each of our 5 days that we were there. The breakfast was extensive and you could have a different breakfast each day for a week with what they offered each day. We did not end up eating in the restaurant and ate mostly in the park and other places in town. We would definitely stay there on future visits and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room had a microwave and refrigerator which we did not expect so ask for them if you need them...
Dear marylynnmusic,
Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent visit to the Grand Canyon. We truly appreciate your taking the time to write a review during this busy season. I will pass your kind comments on to our staff and managers. I hope that should you visit the Grand Canyon again in the future you will choose to stay with us again.
Happy Holidays,
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We chose this hotel for a trip to the Grand Canyon on the basis of the reviews we had read. It is a modern hotel but, as part of the Best Western group, is an independant hotel (Best Western is a marketing group that small hotels may join) and has the usual quirks of a smaller hotel. The room was adequate, if not brillaintly designed. The ceiling looked as though I had plastered it (I have only ever plastered once). The "bath" was really no more than a shower tray.
The development is more of a motel. Most of the rooms are in separate blocks not connected to the block containing the reception area, restaurant and bar. You can drive to your room and park outside. Be aware that American cars tend to blast the horn when the romote control locking is pressed. This can be a bit annoying if a lot of cars are parked by your room.

When we booked in the receptionist was very pleasant and told us how quiet the hotel was. We found our room had two queen beds - so phoned the receptionist and asked if we could switch to a single king. She said that "as you have booked through a third party we cannot do this".

This poor service was only patchy. When we asked (another receptionist) if we could use a PC to download a programme for our sat nav she showed us two PCs we could use (with a printer) - but then exceeded our expectations by fetching the IT manager to help us!

The breakfast has had some good reviews. It is called "continental breakfast" - but had fried sausage patties and excellent scrambled eggs. The downside was that the criossants and other pastries were as hard as rock. Seemed as though someone had cooked them in a microwave for about 10 minutes too long! The very large breakfast room was very dimly lit and also acted as a storage area for stacks of conference chairs.

The "fine dining" (their description) restaurant was very good, if a little pricey. The bar with food was a lot cheaper.

The drive to the national park entrance takes about ten minutes - another five to park near the rim.

Tusayan is not a large town! It is a strip of shops with a very wide road. There is only a very limited number of other places to eat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear johnGerrardsCross,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the Grand Canyon. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations in all areas of your stay. I will pass your comments regarding breakfast (positive and not) to our food and beverage team. I am sorry that we were also not able to change your room type, but dependingon your method of reservation our contracts with other companies do not allow us to do this. I hope you will return and give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations. Have a very happy Holiday season,
Heather

Been to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Grand Canyon Squire Inn? Share your experiences!