“Does the job” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Tusayan
Adelaide
“Does the job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

As many have said, it is not a resort. And also remember, it is not at the Grand Canyon, but about a 10-15min drive away. But it is perfect if you either cannot afford to stay Canyonside, or simply don't want to (although it is much better to stay on the Canyon).

It is relatively cheap in price. We had a twin room, which was Very Small and dated but clean. We got free buffet breakfast in our package, which was not exactly 5-star but still quite plentiful.

They have a Tour Advisor person in the lobby who can help you organise things to do and give you useful information about the Canyon. We didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on it, but the menu looked nice. Eating on the Canyon at one of the recommended restaurants is the nicest, but more expensive.

The most interesting part of this place is the inside 'resort' part. It is like a mini jungle, where there is a small pool and spa. The pool has a mini waterfall to sit under, nice after a long walk in the canyon. Like the rest of the place, it is all very 1980's.

Just don't go in with huge expectations and you will have a lovely time. As I said at the beginning, it is a cheap alternative to staying at the canyon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
Hawkeye, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is an average hotel with a nice front lobby. Nothing more. The room was old, dated, and smelled like smoke. Elevators VERY slow, and noisy. Pool was ok, but at a different location. Breakfast buffet way over priced. Will definitely find alternative hotel next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Croton on Hudson, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel since I was very excited to be at the Grand Canyon. It was over priced with an extreme lack of amenities. For $200.00 a night you think there would be a fridge, MAYBE even a breakfast. None of this was included. What you get is a noisy hotel, with crappy parking and a rude staff and guests. The wifi, while free, was so slow I could barely upload pictures.
Unfortunately, no matter how many bad reviews this "resort" gets they have a captive audience.
The only good thing is the location. It is very close to the park.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Oostburg, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

The hotel was okay, the room was clean, but a little run down. Carpet was ripped, window to our deck was broken and it didn't lock. The Internet connection was horrible, rarely worked and when it did it was too slow to do anything. The hotel was totally booked, and the don't have enough parking for all the rooms. People were parking illegally everyone. The location is convenient if you can't get into one of the lodging resort inside the park, but that is really the only good thing I can say about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Conciergerie man is bad, did not want to help me with my excursion with Papillon, thank you very much to the blond woman who is here occasionnely !! She helped me to find my road for my next stop.
Gary, at the reception is very bad, did not want either to print, just print a itinery on internet !!! Thanks (again) to the girl who did it (because he gave her the instruction)
I forgot her name, but she was great.
When I did my check out I asked for a butler to help me for carring my suitcases. They answer me "no" because I was not a member of a group....it's impossible for them to send someone in a floor to help with the suitcases, it's impossible for them to call a company, it's impossible for them to print a itinery....
I won't come back, for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I stayed at this hotel recently when visiting the Grand Canyon. As a previous review said saying it was a resort was a large stretch. I was really disappointed for what I got for the price. I had stayed in the Grand Canyon the night before and their hotel (Kachina) I stayed at was beautiful as well as having a partial view of the Grand Canyon. When all was said and done I paid $8.00 more to stay in the park. If you can get in I would stay in the park. There is nothing like seeing the canyon from your room in the morning instead of seeing this crummy place. (The taxes are quite high on the Quality Inn which drives up the price.) Internet very very slow and no continental breakfast but can eat in their buffet for $22.00 a plate!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Not havng much idea of the places to stay I was really pleased to come across The Canyon Plaza Resort.
The room was clean well pesented although the balcony overlooked the restuarant which was a little strange as it was all under cover.
I would recommend the restuarant which offered good value for money, both the food and service were very good. There was no actuall bar area but the staff were more than happy to fetch drinks into a small seating area in reception.
I would particularly like to mention the concierge service. I had been in touch whilst researching the Canyon area and was sent some excellent information with things to do and even places to see and eat at on the way to the hotel. The concierge even provisionally booked our light aircraft trip so we could plan our time to best advantage.
There was even a pool to dip to after a long and tiring day in the Canyon.
I would rcommend this hotel for location, customer service and value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Canyon Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!