“Very Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Tusayan
Kansas City, Kansas
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I stayed at this hotel recently when visiting the Grand Canyon. As a previous review said saying it was a resort was a large stretch. I was really disappointed for what I got for the price. I had stayed in the Grand Canyon the night before and their hotel (Kachina) I stayed at was beautiful as well as having a partial view of the Grand Canyon. When all was said and done I paid $8.00 more to stay in the park. If you can get in I would stay in the park. There is nothing like seeing the canyon from your room in the morning instead of seeing this crummy place. (The taxes are quite high on the Quality Inn which drives up the price.) Internet very very slow and no continental breakfast but can eat in their buffet for $22.00 a plate!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Not havng much idea of the places to stay I was really pleased to come across The Canyon Plaza Resort.
The room was clean well pesented although the balcony overlooked the restuarant which was a little strange as it was all under cover.
I would recommend the restuarant which offered good value for money, both the food and service were very good. There was no actuall bar area but the staff were more than happy to fetch drinks into a small seating area in reception.
I would particularly like to mention the concierge service. I had been in touch whilst researching the Canyon area and was sent some excellent information with things to do and even places to see and eat at on the way to the hotel. The concierge even provisionally booked our light aircraft trip so we could plan our time to best advantage.
There was even a pool to dip to after a long and tiring day in the Canyon.
I would rcommend this hotel for location, customer service and value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Calling this a “resort” is a big stretch, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and amenities at this hotel. It was not the run down tourist trap I was expecting. After reading other reviews, I suspect that they have been through a management change and upgrades recently. It is not owned by Quality Inn at this time.

I stayed in a standard 2 double bed room with the AAA rate of $116 per night. It seemed like it had been recently remodeled, with granite-style counters and new fixtures. Everything was clean and stocked. The room had a nice layout with a small entryway closet, a sitting area, and a little kitchen area with a fridge, coffee-maker and cupboard. The bathroom had one sink inside of it, and there was another just across from it. There was a balcony overlooking the indoor spa and atrium. The beds were comfortable. The room was generally quiet aside from people coming and going in the morning and evening. The AC unit worked well. The free Wifi was slow during peak evening hours, but worked fine otherwise. My room was cleaned well and restocked each day.

The main lobby was pretty, with skylights and plants in the atrium and restaurant. Staff at the front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping were all pleasant and polite. The indoor spa looked relaxing, but was unfortunately closed during my stay. There was an outdoor pool and spa a couple buildings over.

I tried the breakfast buffet, which was $12 after tax for hotel guests. They had fresh scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, pastries, fresh fruit, cold cereal, juices, milk, and coffee. . A bit expensive, but convenient and satisfying for breakfast. They also offer an a-la-carte menu. I did not try dinner, because the entrée choices looked abysmal (ie, liver and onions) and were $22-26 each.

The hotel is located just behind the Imax/National Geographic Visitor’s Center. The general store and some restaurants are within easy walking distance. The Grand Canyon shuttle has a stop just in front of the Imax and provides service into the park and around Tusayan.

Overall, I would recommend the Canyon Plaza for those looking for hotel-like amenities and comfort in close proximity to the Grand Canyon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Brentwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed here with my student daughter on on of several road trips. Tusayan is a great location from which to see the Grand Canyon South Rim, with a fabulous and frequent shuttle bus service meaning the car can stay at the hotel. However the Canyon Plaza Resort is little more than a motel with a plush foyer and a pool in the car park, and is hugely overpriced. Breakfast was expensive and cold, and the staff were inattentive. We'd have been better off in Wendy's next door! Despite the fact that we were ungraded for free we moved to the adjacent Red Feather Lodge for our second night, equally good for a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: go to another hotel!
Huntington Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Hated everything about this place except the location. Lots of buses blocked our car in, Gary at front desk was terribly rude for no reason he just had a bad attitude. But worst of all when we returned to our room from a day out, we opened the door to scattering mice. The lady at the desk called maintenance and they came and caught the baby mice with his hands and carried them away, but by then I worried they could also now be in our bags because we had left them open. Couldn't sleep after that and worried that we could be carrying them home with us. Outside jacuzzi had green slime around the tiles, Bed was too hard! I would never return to this hotel again!

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

We had a 2 night stay here to see the Grand Canyon area. We had an easy, friendly check-in and were told all the hotel details and found our way to a comfortable and well sized room. Plenty of parking and an easy 2 minute walk to the main road through and the shops/restaurants.

We didn't use much of the hotels facilities but it had everything we needed, a great meal at the Mexican across the road on the first night (which can get very busy it seems) and grabbed a pizza take out the next.

The only downside to our room was the noise outside from coaches coming and going, without much care for sleeping guests at 6am, but a room on the forest side would probably have been very peaceful.

2 miles from the National Park gates and max 10 minutes drive to Grand Canyon Village this is a perfect spot to explore from and the free shuttle bus picks up right on the main street outside.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the car parking may be noisy.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

The rooms were very clean, nice and roomy...... The only complaint was the pool and pool area was very dirty. Looked like they opened it for the season and forgot to clean the total area. Bad!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Canyon Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!