“Horrible Service” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
New York City
“Horrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Arrived at 7:00pm to the restaurant was seated at 7:05 pm next to the kitchen, plenty of empty tables away from the kitchen was informed they did not have enough staff for the open tables. The waitress took our order (drink, salad, entree). The salad arrived at approximately 7:10, followed by the main course at 7:14. Our drinks arrived half way through the meal. With the arrival of the drinks we were asked if we were ready for dessert. We weren't even half finished with the meal. Once i finished eating, my plate was taken away and a bill issued. Didn't get a chance to order dessert. Out of the restaurant by 7:25.

The food was so-so, would never go back

“Great Mexican restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Love their steak. Always great service after new staff.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
pinetop, az
“1/2 - 1/2 for Elviras”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

On each of our Tubac trips we dined at Elviras. The first time, the meal was outstanding. I had the tacos huitlacoche (chicken and corn mushroom). I had not had huitlacoche since I lived in Mexico and these were delicious! It was not an entree, but an appetizer for 10.95. I ordered refried beans on the side that were delicious, but I was lucky if it was 3 tablespoons! (imagine a SMALL icecream scoop). My husband had a steak and enjoyed it tremendously. We didn't mind the price, well over 100.00 for a birthday dinner. This was just the meal and drinks, no dessert.

The next time we visited, the service, the seating and the management was beyond terrible! We were seated in the bar. The waitress and the bartender (who was on the cell phone the entire time) were in a terrible fight, snapping at each other and giving dirty looks. My husband tried to get the attention of the waitress ("server" is too kind a word) and instead of inquiring at the table, she would stomp over and slam down another beer, without even asking him what he wanted!!!!!!!! HE DID NOT WANT A BEER!!!! This happened THREE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!! Our meals were slammed down in front of us, no water, no smile, no kiss my %#$#%$$ from the waitress. My husbands meal was 5 tough little pieces of flank steak in a brown sauce served in a lava bowl, it was terrible. I again had the huitlacoche tacos and loved them, but it just wasn't worth the terrible service and overall superiority complex of the employees. This restaurant will survive only from the poor unsuspecting tourists if it continues in this manner. I rarely decline to leave a tip, even with mediocre service, but if I could have deducted the terrible service from the bill, we would have eaten for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson Arizona
1,635 helpful votes 1,635 helpful votes
“Most Disappointing !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

After being cooped up all summer in 100-113 degree heat, we decided we needed a drive and a treat. We always enjoy going down I-19, so packed ourselves up and got ourselves going. Went down to Green Valley and walked around a bit, then went to Tubac where we walked a bit more.
We had heard of Elvira's, but had never been there. They had been in Nogales Mexico, but when all sorts of border issues came up, they closed the restaurant there and opened this one in Tubac, Arizona.
As soon as we came in (before we could get our bearings) we were ushered to a table by the window in the back. We love corner tables and when there is a window that is a plus. Unfortunately for us, we did not notice the swinging kitchen door which was next to our table. And that door did not stop swinging (and slamming) the entire time that we were there. When we came in, there were other empty tables, however, those had filled up, and we were stuck. We looked at the menu. HELP !! WAY, WAY overpriced. Even at the Ritz-Carlton you can get a less expensive lunch. My fish taco ($13.95) was okay, BUT, the one at BeDillon's in Casa Grande was MUCH better. The service was awful. She brought the beer, she brought the plates, and that is it. Why should we tip for such service? I wanted to take my tip back (too late) when she saw us leaving and could not even say "goodbye" or "thank you" or something similar. The bartender, full of importance, walked around the restaurant talking on his cell phone. That is outrageous, when people want to enjoy their overpriced lunches. Our total (2 beers and 2 entrees) came to over $40 with the tax. No way, no more. The decor is lovely, but we are not ever going there again. How disappointing !

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, VA
“THE BEST MEXICAN FOOD EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We ate at Elvira's and were so impressed with the food! It was by far the best mexican food we have ever had anywhere. The spices were perfect and not over powering. If you are in Tubac for the day, or it is worth the drive form Tucson. You must go to Elvira's. My wife and I decided that it was the best meal we had on our trip to Arizona.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere