“Best mole and shrimp dishes around” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Tucson, AZ
“Best mole and shrimp dishes around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Elvira's has been in business since 1927. They moved their restaurant from Nogales, Mexico to Tubac, AZ last year due to the violence and other problems at the border. It was a good move because they have retained their longtime clientele and now have new customers. I am a Tucson native and used to go to the one in Nogales for years. The food is not your ordinary frontera style. They specialize in moles (7 or 8 kinds). My favorite is the mole negro. The flavors are complex and delicious. I plan on going back again next week.

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

provence77
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

I have always been treated very well at this restaurant. They do have a no reservation policy but I believe if you have six people or more you can make a reservation. The food is outstanding and I would drive 50 miles or more to have dinner here. I always bring my guests to this restaurant for a special dinner. Everyone I have every taken has been very impressed.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chappaqua, New York
“Gourmet Mexican near the border”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Went with family and we sampled each other's dishes. Had the Mole Actopan, others had the chile rellenos and the chipotle steak. All the dishes were interesting, flavorful, and vibrant. Have had gourmet Mexican food in NYC and California, but this stands with the best of them. Flan and chocolate cake desserts were first rate. Margaritas were massive. Staff was helpful and nice but room could do to hire one or two more servers to deal with the large crowds. My table kept ordering them. We're going back again this week before we leave Tubac. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Lunch experience left us underwhelmed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010 via mobile

Restaurant is attractive with expensive lunch menu, e.g. $18 for chile rellenos, entrees are approximately $23. We ordered appetizers--all delicious and more affordable. Service was acceptable during the meal but after our meal my friend asked the owner to take a picture of our group of five women, he turned to a server and asked her to do it. She responded, "I'm on my break." Eventually, an unhappy server was corraled to do the job.
The food was good but diners shouldn't expect any special favors.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City
“Horrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Arrived at 7:00pm to the restaurant was seated at 7:05 pm next to the kitchen, plenty of empty tables away from the kitchen was informed they did not have enough staff for the open tables. The waitress took our order (drink, salad, entree). The salad arrived at approximately 7:10, followed by the main course at 7:14. Our drinks arrived half way through the meal. With the arrival of the drinks we were asked if we were ready for dessert. We weren't even half finished with the meal. Once i finished eating, my plate was taken away and a bill issued. Didn't get a chance to order dessert. Out of the restaurant by 7:25.

The food was so-so, would never go back