“Gorgeous, off-the-grid, eco resort” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Inn   |   KM65 Camino Costero, Los Frailes 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Los Frailes B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Gorgeous, off-the-grid, eco resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

My husband and I and our two young children just spent spring break at the beautiful Villa del Faro just north of San Jose del Cabo on the Baja peninsula. It's a true desert oasis nestled amongst the sagebrush and saguaro. The resort is gorgeous and well laid out so that guests (staying in casitas) feel safe and connected, yet still very private. The pool is amazing and the entire resort is well-designed and thought out and perfectly situated just above the beach. The owners of the resort prepare delicious meals for breakfast and dinner, but guests are on their own for lunch. Our ONLY (minor) criticism was that the extras (e.g., cot beds for the kids and the dinners) were a little pricey.

Room Tip: Casitas Tres, while beautiful and right next to the pool, looks like the pool house so you might hav...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Once in a blue moon you are lucky enough to have discovered the perfect gem of a getaway...so good you are reluctant to write a review in fear everyone else will discover it too. Not only is this place exquisitely beautiful in terms of it's natural surroundings and traditional mexican art and architecture, but the food was delicious and the family so lovely and hospitable, I felt inspired to write a glowing review for them. Villa Del Faro is truly heaven on earth. My fiancé and I hope to return in a year to get married! It's that good!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

After arriving on the East Cape with my girlfriend, daughter and niece we simply melted into the surrounds at Villa del Faro. So peaceful, relaxing and beautiful. This particular area of the Baja peninsula is like a diamond in the ruff compared to the harsh landscape we normally associate with La Baja. The gardens are lush with many unusual species of plant life. Very uncommon. Most of the area is dry and parched terrain. Villa del Faro is quite the opposite.

After a relaxing walk on the beach, we settled in at the dining room with libations and exquisitely prepared food for dinner. Every morsel was a tasty delight. Hammock time soon followed. The next day we awoke to a beautiful sunrise over the Sea of Cortez. Hot coffee followed after a wonderful night's sleep. Breakfast was sublime, huevos rancheros sobrosos!

Fully topped off, we trekked up the beach and swam in the warm coastal waters. A truly wonderful family get-a-way!

Room Tip: They are all great!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Villa del Faro is an oasis. From the stunning beach location, to the authentic and generous hospitality, this was an extraordinary stay. I spent three glorious nights in the stone cottage, situated right on the beach, and it fulfilled all of my desires for a rustic, simple retreat. Bountiful daily mexican breakfasts balanced my simple dinners that I cooked on the firepit/grill on the beach. The cottage was a perfect match for those of us who like proximity to nature, and solitude, but appreciate amenities of a bnb (french press coffee, comfortable bed, towels and kitchen items provided). I hope to make a trip to Villa del Faro an annual getaway!

This is an extraordinary place, run by extremely thoughtful and generous hosts. I can't speak highly enough of this property.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bellingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I whisked my husband here for his annual surprise birthday trip at the end of January at the advice of friends of ours who are long-time repeat customers (maybe even the first guests!). After a quick stop at the supermarket and a gorgeous drive over the hills, we arrived at the Garden of Eden. We actually didn't see much of the grounds until the next morning when we ascended from the Stone Cottage (definitely the most romantic place I have ever stayed in my life) for the delicious and very ample breakfast served in a dining area in the main area. As advertised on their website, the Stone Beach Cottage is not for everyone (thank goodness, as it was available for us!). But for anyone who wants to sleep in a stone house on the beach with whales breaching a few dozen yards away and enjoys catching fish early in the morning from 10 yards away and dining off of a blazing bonfire, it's heaven on earth. We were actually quite sad to have to leave the cottage (it was only available on our first night), but when we were shown into Casa Dos (Norte), we somehow knew we'd manage. Wow! Equally fabulous and quite elegant. And not to be overlooked: the stunning gardens, incredible service, fabulous food, fascinating owners; generous hospitality; location on an unpopulated white sand beach with snorkeling and surfing and hiking close by; and with all that said, reasonable prices. I almost hate to reveal any information about this place as it is so special and I want it to retain the feeling of remoteness that is so rare today. But, in the interest of sharing, run, don't walk to Villa del Faro.

Room Tip: The website does a good job of describing the casitas. They all seemed great. We particularly love...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Villa Del Faro is simply amazing. My wife and I visited after a 7 day small boat cruise in the Sea of Cortez and this was just what we were looking for. The location is stunning, just above a beautiful white sand beach which stretches for miles with hardly anyone around. The grounds are amazing with tiny humming birds flitting amongst the brightly coloured flowers, woodpeckers hopping from one giant Cactus and another and pelicans diving for fish just off the beach. We stayed in Casa Azul which is close to the main part of the villa but still retains a good deal of privacy and seclusion. All of the accommodation looked incredible and everywhere was spotlessly clean and well maintained. The large pool and it's surroundings are a joy and the peace is only broken by the splashes and blows of humpback whales as they breach and play just off the beach. We ate at the Villa on 4 nights. The food was varied, tasty and plentiful. Simple ingredients but expertly cooked. The Margaritas mixed by our host were superb and served in glasses the size of a small vase! If you are in the Cabo area, make the effort to drive the dirt roads to Villa Del faro - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I recently visited the wonderful Villa Del Faro with my brothers for a long weekend. We were looking for something a little off the beaten track and quiet, and it couldn't have been better.

First the hotel: Stunning gardens and grounds, well kept, private and clean rooms, excellent cook (and bartender!). I always felt like I was well taken care of but never felt like the staff was on top of me.

We stayed in Casita Dos which was lovely. If I had to do it again, the pool house is amazing, and the little house of the beach is like a fairy tale.

The beach is incredible. Clean white sand with some rocks. Go left to what our hosts Marilyn and Allie called Baby Beach, and you can walk for miles and barely see another human being.

Marilyn arranged for us to go fishing with one of the companies up at Cabo Pulmo I was surprised at how cheap it was (including tip it was $300 for six hours), and when we got back we ate the Dorado (Mahi Mahi) we caught for dinner. Another day they directed us to Los Arbolitos, a little beach in Cabo Pulmo that had the finest snorkeling I've experienced - including the Caribbean and the Red Sea. We used equipment that the hotel provided too.

Finally, and I guess they aren't always there, but the view of the dozens of humpback whales breaching and tail slapping just off the beach in the Sea of Cortez wowed all of us. I've never seen anything like it.

Room Tip: I loved my room, but the Pool House looked incredible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Villa del Faro? Share your experiences!