“Excellent accomodation for nature fans” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Lobo Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro La Laguna
Casa Lobo Bungalows
You added Casa Lobo Bungalows to your Saves list
6 Avenida, Callejon B, Zona 3 | Barrio Pamez, Camino a la Finca, San Pedro La Laguna 07018, Guatemala   |
Uppsala, Sweden
“Excellent accomodation for nature fans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very nice bungalow (and we "just" stayed in the oldest and smallest one) as well as German host with local advice. Interior very high quality, the best we had on our travel through Guatemala! Absolutely clean and lovely decorated!! It is just a bit outside of town, but ideal to enjoy the surrounding nature, garden, lake view and relax!!

Room Tip: Choose a bungalow depending on how long you like to stay. For the two of us and only two nights, the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Perched in a lush (sub?)tropical garden, the various little houses are very pretty, private, and clean. The owners have put a lot of love into building and decorating everything, and they keep expanding and improving the place to make good for the fact that the rising lake is eating away its lower parts. Upon request, they will serve a delicious breakfast, including homemade bread and jelly made from fruits that grow at an arm's length, on the lakeside terrace of their own house, a little European villa that is barely holding its own against the overreaching bougainvillea and the surprisingly agitated lake.

However, what really made the difference was the cheerful owner (we've only met one of the two). We really enjoyed hanging out and chatting, and he proved to be a huge resource of information on people and society of San Pedro. Also lovely is Troll, the black labrador.

This place is a little away from the tourist and partying zone of San Pedro, which is not to say there's never anybody making noise in the neighborhood. It's still very easy to get to town in a tuctuc or by foot.

There are no luxury hotels in San Pedro La Laguna, which, after all, attracts mostly a young crowd of international tourists. Since the lake has claimed the main entrance to the Casa Lobo, you currently have to walk a few steps through the undergrowth to get to it. If you like a lot of nature and appreciate the hints at traditional European ideas of the good life, you are very likely to enjoy your stay at this place.

Room Tip: We have taken a tour through all the rooms, and they are all very nice. However, the owner says that...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sucre
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

When considering this hotel, look at the overwhelmingly favourable reviews on Tripadvisor. Don't take any notice of the one somewhat absurd review recently posted. My wife and I stayed in this beautiful place for 6 weeks. We booked 4 weeks and were so impressed that we extended for a full 6 weeks immediately and did not want to lave this great hotel on this wonderful lake.
There is nothing wrong with the staircase in the apartments that are high up near the access road. The complaint about the staircase is utter nonsense; one could fall down any staircase if you are not careful; especially if you get intoxicated. But actually I am slightly disabled myself due to poor balance and have often fallen flat on my face just walking down the road in my own country. So if anyone could have fallen it is me- yet I never had a problem using this staircase (we were in the identical apartment that another reviewer criticised for its staircase); In fact we had a rather unpleasant experience with that guest (who was next door). She was only there briefly; She invaded our private space by walking onto our balcony to borrow (demand) a pen as if we were her servants. She did not even say thank you. The woman who wrote that review behaved poorly and we were glad she left. She brought a third family member and did it without paying any extra. That family member went on to the balcony s soon as they got there and without delay started singing loudly with no consideration for fellow guests nor the delightful managers. THESE guests WERE THE ONES MAKING A NOISE and then had the nerve to whine about local people sometimes playing music next door. The writer of the review I refer to then peremptorily waltzed over uninvited to my balcony while I was on my laptop and stood behind me when I was sending a private message; she was incredibly arrogant with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. This particular guest complained about the internet connection to me as if it had something to do with me; I explained that the internet provider was not the hotel and that the (temporary) loss of internet was not usual and not the fault of the hotel; in fact for 6 weeks we used the internet with hardly a problem. I felt that her claim in her review that there was no internet was a flagrant falsehood. The behaviour of these guests was appalling- but the other guests were fine. ABOUT THE STAIRCASE- it is no more dangerous than any staircase. There are plenty of places to put your hands as you go up and down and I who am disabled with poor balance never once had a problem. Moreover on the Casa Lobo website I remember clearly the owners stating it was not very suitable for those with disabilities. But I who am indeed somewhat disabled managed it OK without problems. So the owners in fact advised that it is not very suitable for people with disabilities; therefore that woman has been very unfair in her review. If anyone would have a problem its me and I managed to climb the stairs 100 times without a problem.
Now for the many good things about Casa Lobo:
The views of the lake are incomparable
The breakfasts are unbelievably good
Frederico and Wolfgang are fabulous hosts who did absolutely everything they could to make our visit enjoyable OFTEN GOING BEYOND expectations to help us
Its a good distance away from the noisy backpacker ghettoes in town; but only 5 Qs by taxi
Security is excellent; I felt good knowing my wife was safe. The woman who reviewed the place recently, whined about the key situation; but really she should remember she was in Central America and that Casa Lobo had been protecting her and her additional unpaid guest.
So folks, note that I am a longstanding contributor to Tripadvisor with 54 reviews from all over the world with 45 helpful votes. You don't need a bannister unless you are really drunk and careless. It is very narrow and there is no need to fall; if you do, it would be your own carelessness- not the fault of the staircase. Any drop would be serious on any staircase in the world; I assure you it is no more dangerous than any staircase and safer than most staircases. THE COMPLAINT ABOUT THE INTERNET is untrue; I assure y'all.
Casa Lobo is an amazing hotel- one of the best I have been in during my extensive travels. The lake is totally amazing and the views from Casa Lobo are among the very best; I thought I had died and gone to paradise- it was that good.
Thanks Wolfgang and Frederico for about the best holiday my wife and I have ever had- totally amazing. I urge Tripadvisor readers to look at all the very favourable reviews that are unanimous in their praises, rather than the disingenuous and discontented whining of a guest that I know for a fact was not well-behaved (in my humble opinion). We found Casa Lobo through Tripadvisor (thanks Tripadvisor!) and I am glad we did find it. It is a gem and no mistake! Also great value for money.

Room Tip: Both the upper rooms near the road and the ones closer to the lake are magnificent; but different; w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
new jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The pictures look gorgeous but there are some serious problems with staying here! The most significant was that they have a circular staircase connecting the upstairs bedroom with the living room and bathroom...there is NO BANNISTER on the staircase and a serious drop if you should fall. The last night I was there I slipped three steps from the bottom and twisted my knee and banged my arm...I could have seriously hurt myself and I have since been to an orthopedist and still am recovering three weeks later. VERY DANGEROUS- I spoke to the owner when I left telling him that I got hurt and he should consider putting in a bannister-he had no real concern or reaction.. Second problem..no screens on the windows so you have to keep windows shut (or get bugs in the room), or be warm during the day...next problem...one room and gate key for the unit which means you have to come and go with the person you are staying with. In this case it was very inconvenient since town was not close and we were not individually able to come and go...NO INTERNET-which was important to me so I had to spend a lot of time going to internet cafe's in town...I had checked before I booked and they said they had internet, this property is more expensive then many others and I took it for the internet and quiet location ..THEY DO NOT HAVE INTERNET...the walk from the road to the property is a little treacherous also, especially at night, not lit...the beach is not particularly nice and I got a vibe on the beach that was not inviting...Not always quiet and peaceful...the pictures of the unit are beautiful but to the left are other homes and if they are playing music all day you hear it...
I feel this is an extremely unsafe unit, circular staircases are tricky but without a railing ..treacherous..

Room Tip: Stay in town...or on the edge of town...much more convenient
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
casalobo, Manager at Casa Lobo Bungalows, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
We have a no-smoking policy at Casa Lobo. Everybody is welcome at Casa Lobo if they keep to the no-smoking rule. Tripadvisor readers may like to look at all the very positive reviews that other guests have written for many years.
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I've been to San Pedro before and stayed in the town centre. As much it is convenient it is also quite laud and messy. Casa lobo is about 20min walk to town centre but in return you get peace and an absolutely amazing view. We rented the top floor apartment with the balcony overlooking the lake. It is a beautiful place with tasteful (for Central America) decor and all amenities. The room is very bright and spacious, has a big comfortable sofa, a table and chairs inside as we'll as outside so you can enjoy a peaceful afternoon at the balcony.

It also has a small kitchen with fridge, toaster and coffee maker and if we were staying longer we would have definitely used it. Great for breakfast I think.

The shower is grata. Hot water, really clean.

The only drawback are the spiders that you mig find in the apartment but its a lakeside so you need to expect insects. Also it is the same case in other places in San Pedro too.

We were in San Pedro with a bunch of friends but we all stayed in different places. Having visited their hotels I am confident that Casa lobo is one of the best (if not the best) option in San Pedro.

Tuk tuk costs only 5quetzals per person and will bring you there in few minutes so the fact that it is not right In town is not an issue. Thanks to that it is very peaceful an private

I'd finitely stay there again. It is just a great value for money

It could definitely make a very romantic stay given then its decor and location.

The owners are very friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I'll never forget staying in Casa Lobo. The owner, Wolfgang, was extremely friendly and genuinely cared about us and wanted us to have a great time. We stayed in the Queen Bungalow – it had plenty of room, a couch, a tv, and a kitchen. The showers were great. All you heard in the morning were the birds and the doggies.

The room had fresh flowers from their gardens, which they are improving daily.

There were definitely quite a few doors to walk though and about 4 keys to figure out, but, to me, that made the experience that much more fun and interesting. I felt very safe staying there.

Room Tip: The torre rooms are closer to the front of the road if you don't want to walk towards the back o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Abiquiu, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My two adult children and I had a special stay for 3 nights at Casa Lobo. The bungalow was exactly what we needed for tranquility and coziness. Strolling into the village was a pleasant outing, but the location of the bungalow outside of the town was blessedly quiet. Especially great for us was the little kitchen corner and outdoor terrace where we enjoyed our meals and the beauty of Lake Atitlan. Many thanks to our gracious hosts Lobo and Federico.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Lobo Bungalows? Share your experiences!