“Great cardio workout - with views.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Volcanos, Outdoors
Panajachel, Guatemala
7 attraction reviews
“Great cardio workout - with views.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I love this climb. Constant steep gradient with great views. Easy to follow trail and I have never encountered any problems with robbers. Great views over Santiago from the top if you start early(ish) and avoid the possibility of clouds. This is tough but if you go at your own pace you will make it. Take a tuk tuk to the entrance office and pay the 100Q entry fee. The price is the same whether you use a guide or not. Then just enjoy.

Visited April 2013

Las Salinas
10 attraction reviews
“Tough but worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Do it at dawn! It's a tough walk but the view is spectacular. Check the weather before you go and take a head torch!

Visited October 2012
San Diego, California
4 attraction reviews
“It kicked my butt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is a wonderfully arduous 3-hr ascent to the top of the volcano. Without the encouragement of my guide, I probably would've turned around at the 1/3 way point. But since he did not even break a sweat while I nearly collapsed, my ego wouldn't let me give up. And it was worth it. The 5-hr (in total) trip was difficult and exhausting...but so fulfilling. I don't know about you, but I usually don't climb volcanoes...so the experience was worth all the pain and soreness that ensued. Do it! You'll be glad you did!

Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“Are we there yet?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Woo - they weren't kidding when they said this was strenuous. My friend had to bail when we reached the vista. She stayed while I went on with the guide. How did we figure this out? When we got off the dock in San Pedro, we asked this guy who mans this little hut. He promptly took us inside and explained the tour and we booked it for the next day. It cost us 150Q each, including taxi service. Great price. Definitely take the tuk-tuk to the entrance. It's a steep road all the way out of town. Before heading to the park, they'll take you in town and encourage you to buy some snacks for the hike. Do it. It helps their economy and you'll need the nourishment. The volcano itself is an actual park with bathrooms and a small visitor's center. Don't do this hike without a guide. I did read the warnings about robberies, but a guide is really necessary just for finding your way and in case you hurt yourself. It's desolate. We started at 7am, which was fine because it was cool and overcast. You can choose your own starting time. BRING WATER! I had one 1L bottle, and it wasn't nearly enough and I'm practically a camel when it comes to drinking water. The hike is almost straight up, non-stop stairs. The air smells so fragrant - it's worth it just to breathe it in. You'll see nothing but trees at first then you'll see the lake at different points. It is packed dirt only, and it will rain, so make sure you wear sturdy hiking shoes that GRIP really well. I wore running shoes and I was slipping all over the place. It took me almost 3 hours to go up and about 2 hours down. My guide said that was fast. The guides are great and work really hard and make sure that you're going at your own pace, not theirs. You'll bump into farm workers with huge machetes. I met a pack of Mayan workers that my guide knew. About an hour from the top, there's an outhouse bathroom facility. Otherwise, hold it or go in the woods. At the top, I was disappointed. First off, I was really scared because there's these big boulders that you have to climb on with no safety rail. One slip, and you're over the edge. Literally. Then there was some graffiti and the view was pretty much the same as it was at the scenic vista. After being in Lake Atitlan for 3 days by this point, it wasn't anything we haven't already seen. Plus, we had already done the cables at Atitlan Reserva with pretty much the same views. On the way back down, we encountered a pack of wild dogs. Another great reason to have a guide with you. He beat them off with his hiking stick. We tipped our guide 10Q. Not sure if this was appropriate or not. No one told us what to do. The guide will call ahead to the tuk-tuk when you're getting close to the end and it'll be waiting for you. They had cold water bottles available for purchase. I think 5Q. Our guide was called Matolo, I think. We had a hard time communicating - he knew we were deaf, but Guatemalan gestures are so different than US gestures that we couldn't understand what he was trying to point out to us. He tried, though, so we appreciated that!

Visited July 2013
4 attraction reviews
“Hard work but awesome views - go early!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Be prepared for some serious uphill! It was hard work on the way up (with a bit of altitude to contend with), but through nice forest with loads of birds and squirrels around. I would strongly advise leaving EARLY (e.g. 4am-5.30am). We started climbing at 5.30 from the park entrance, which meant it was cool the whole way up, we saw no one else on the trail and there were lots of birds around. On the way down we saw lots of climbers who'd chosen 7 or 9am options, dying from the heat, and in big groups.

Visited July 2013