This property is a small piece of paradise. From the breathtaking views (and they are really spectacular) of the volcanoes to the extremely friendly wait and service staff to Thiery ( the owner), everything was perfect. It was like staying in your own home. Everyone is so down to earth that you feel like you are with family. And that's what really makes this a wonderful experience. (Oh and did we mention the views).
We arrived by boat and YES, there are 350 steps from the pier to the hotel, but then you don't get the views if you don't work for it. The steps were of moderate difficulty. We were able to climb up in 10 mins by pacing ourself.
The rooms are basic and functional and comfortable. This is a Eco friendly resort, powered by solar energy. Running hot water, beds and patio right on the lake with volcanoes. We saw the most spectacular sunrise and sunsets.
Typically once people return from day trips they don't go back out again because of the steps and also that it’s a 30 min boat ride to the bigger villages.
But no one wanted to leave. Dinner is served in a friendly atmosphere with Thiery playing classical guitar, while chatting with guests. The food is good. Nothing gourmet, but all organic , homemade, and locally sourced. All the staff is locally employed by Thiery and his wife as a means of developing the small village where the hotel is located. Everyone has a smile on their face.
Thiery and his wife have been here for 8 years and live on the property with their son. They have started a library and a music academy and contribute to many other initiatives in the village.
This place feels like home if home had such gorgeous views. If you are looking for a 5 star resort, this place is not for you. If you are looking for love, warmth, inspiration, learning about the surrounding community and meeting some wonderful people, then you have come the right place.
We plan to visit again soon (if that has not been obvious so far :) )
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lomas de Tzununa is located in Tzununa (Municipalily of Santa Cruz La Laguna), Lake Atitlan. The Hotel has 10 rooms all with wonderful views on the Lake Atitlan and its villages, private bathrooms and a private balcony. Lomas de Tzununa has a restaurant (national and international food), wi fi internet connection in public areas, swimming pool and access to the Lake Atitlan. We also rent kayaks and have a private boat for trips arround the Lake. We have a car to bring people up to the Hotel. Come and enjoy spectacular views and wonderful hospitality! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Lomas de Tzununa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lomas De Tzununa Hotel Santa Cruz La Laguna
- Lomas De Tzununa Guatemala/Lake Atitlan