I have been going to Lomas for about 5 years...and have probably been there at least a dozen times. As a Canadian living in Guatemala City, it is the perfect reprieve from the craziness of the city, the crime, the pollution... I have stayed in several other places around Lake Atitlan and elsewhere in the country, and Lomas de Tzununa is by far my favourite. I have gone with my teenagers as well as with other friends and families, and we all enjoy it immensely. During the first few visits, we explored the area -- hiking, taking the public boat to visit other villages around the lake, horseback riding... Now, we go to escape the hectic pace of everyday life, and take books and playing cards for some well-deserved down time together as a family. The kids enjoy also playing chess on the massive outdoor board, as well as going out in the kayaks for a paddle.
The rooms are simple and spotlessly clean, with decent mattresses. There are breathtaking views of the volcanos and the lake from the balcony. I can't think of a better start to the day than waking up in the morning to that magnificent view. The entire property reminds me of a Swiss chalet - light pine, lots of light, clean lines, simple design.
The menu in the restaurant is simple but well-prepared, with vegetarian options. The fried cambembert with carmelized onions, caprese salad, steak with peppercorn sauce (they know what medium rare means here), grilled lemon chicken, and pepian (local speciality) are among our favourites.
The Steps. No-one has to race to get to the top, and there are places to stop and rest along the way, with a bench to sit on and a view to enjoy. Visitors are often unaware of the effects of altitude - and Lake Atitlan is at over 5000 feet. The hotel staff -- who are aclimatized as well as in better physical shape than most of the guests -- will happily carry guests' bags. They are paid staff members, and furthermore, guests should tip as they (hopefully) would to bellboys of any hotel elsewhere in the world (either directly, or in the tip box located in the hotel). Honestly, I would climb double the number of steps for the vista and tranquility awaiting me at the top.
The staff members (who are from the village of Tzununa down the hill) have not changed since I started going there five years ago -- which is significant in an industry with high turnover. The owners treat their staff with respect, as well as contribute to initiatives to help the local population -- including setting up the first and only library in the village, promoting local artists, among other things.
Bottom line: A delightful, small, well-run property with unparalleled views of the lake and the volcanoes, whether from the room, the pool or the restaurant. Decent food, lovely staff, helpful owners. I can't think of a better place to read a book, enjoy languid conversations and appreciate life. Not a good choice for people who need action and entertainment; for me, the absence of those is precisely what makes Lomas de Tzununa such a special place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lomas de Tzununa is located in Tzununa (Municipalily of Santa Cruz La Laguna), Lake Atitlan. The Hotel has 10 rooms all with wonderful views on the Lake Atitlan and its villages, private bathrooms and a private balcony. Lomas de Tzununa has a restaurant (national and international food), wi fi internet connection in public areas, swimming pool and access to the Lake Atitlan. We also rent kayaks and have a private boat for trips arround the Lake. We have a car to bring people up to the Hotel. Come and enjoy spectacular views and wonderful hospitality! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Lomas de Tzununa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lomas De Tzununa Hotel Santa Cruz La Laguna
- Lomas De Tzununa Guatemala/Lake Atitlan