“Guatemalan retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Sumaya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz La Laguna
Villa Sumaya
Santa Cruz La Laguna, Guatemala   |
Calgary
“Guatemalan retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed six nights at Villa Sumaya and loved every minute. My room was beautiful and very spacious, the dining area gorgeous (especially loved sitting on the outside veranda with the beautiful views of the lake and trees, and the morning bird chorus), and the food delicious. If you get a chance to be Lizzy's dessert guinea pig, jump at it - the avocado icecream was amazing).

But one of the highlights was the staff - they were so friendly and welcoming. And for this gringo who didn't speak Spanish, they were patient and courteous. I loved hearing them laughing throughout the day also - added extra joy to my stay.
I also appreciated the variety and beauty of the sitting areas carefully placed throughout the property. Just the place to take a cup of tea and a book and relax, while admiring the view of the lake and the birds and butterflies flitting past.
And the temple for meditation was a serene and sacred space.
Finally, I took advantage of the bird watching package offered by Villa Sumaya, via a local tour operator. Pedro, my guide and the owner of the tour company, was passionate about the birds (and Mayan history) and shared his knowledge of the birds and area freely. He was very professional and obviously cares greatly about introducing people to this beautiful part of the world. It was overall a wonderful introduction to this country. Thank you everyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I cannot imagine I was able to get the comforts and treats I enjoyed, my recent stay at this quaint, charming hotel. The staff, owner, held nothing back to make me feel warm, welcomed and comfortable. The food is delicious, prepared with so much love, staff courteous and attentive. Views from most rooms are fantastic--lake and mountain, how to beat?!

These all complement the transformative retreat we had while there--heavenly...the earthy kind. :-)

Panajachel is simply a short boat trip away for some good shopping. My photos and emails from new friends are my only proof that I had stayed in this paradise on Earth!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The energy of this beautiful place is amazing. The Staff is so kind (family atmosphere). Meal is very good. Nature so beautiful with view on the 2 volcanoes A great place to visit !
The retreat I experienced there was so beautiful and the ernegy so high...Thank you for everything. Carole

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Once again I returned to Villa Sumaya for one of my Retreats, I had a total of 24 people staying there and all I can say is that the owner, managers and staff went completely out of their way to show us amazing hospitality. The food is superb, so thank you for keeping our tummy full and happy. The accommodations clean and the staff with an eternal smile on their faces. The meditation halls filled with light, love and beauty. So weather you go solo for a yoga retreat or a group you can count on a retreat place that is so beautiful that will inspire you and open your heart.
Thank you Villa Sumaya, I will come back again and again.
Ernesto

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
san pedro, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

my time was amazing. can not recommend it more, so beautiful and full of love and devotion. the attention is in the details. not one corner forgotten. delicious food, stunning view, kind staff. the place to un wind and nurture your body & soul. over the moon excited to return one day soon!

Room Tip: all rooms are beautiful and offer something different!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at Villa Sumaya after trying a more "budget" hotel nearby and fell in love with the hotel for it's quiet ambience, attentive staff and comfortable rooms. Additionally, since we were traveling in the low season, we were made to feel a part of a family instead of just hotel guests. The spa is wonderful with excellent staff and the food was some of the best (mostly vegetarian) and freshest we had in Guatemala. Our room had amazing views of the volcanos and we spent some tranquil time just getting to know our fellow travelers, drinking tea and doing watercolors on the spacious front porch. This is not a luxury hotel but the water was plentiful and hot, the room was meticulously clean and the food was great. We had a big choice of activities on the property and took advantage of using the yoga studio for own sessions and also took a wonderful group class. We hiked the property, soaked in the hot tub, read from the extensive library of books and helped ourselves to the beautiful teas that are available anytime in the dining room. There is also a well-curated gift shop of unique and beautiful items at very reasonable prices. I was able to pick up some souvenirs and gifts without the hassle of the Panajachel tourist traps. I noticed the prices were comparable to the ones in town but at Villa Sumaya you are supporting the artisans directly and they give a portion of the sales to their local charity. Finally, I have to comment on the healing and spiritual aspects of Villa Sumaya. The owner, Wendy, has imbued the entire property with a feeling of nurturing, peace and harmony. You literally feel it in the warm presence of the staff, the thoughtful arrangement of the grounds and the beauty of every detail of the structures.
Santa Cruz La Laguna is a small, laid back village. No nightlife and not a ton of activities but all that is a boat ride away and besides, you don't need to leave Villa Sumaya in order to have a fantastic Lago Atitlan experience.

Room Tip: The Maya Rose rooms are the oldest on the property but have great views and deep porches and are clo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We spent 3 nights here after an intense 3 day hike from Xela. It was exactly what we needed! The shower was hot and had pressure, which we have found hard to find while traveling in Central America. We had a great room with a separate living room area that had a day bed/fridge/sink and a nice size bedroom. It rained in the afternoons but we had a covered porch, so we just watched it. The are only a 15 min boat ride to Panachel and its only 10Q so just over $1usd each way. The food was great, I agree with everyone else you don't need to order meat here.

I can't wait to return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Sumaya? Share your experiences!