“Loved the staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Sumaya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz La Laguna
Villa Sumaya
Santa Cruz La Laguna, Guatemala   |
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Loved the staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had such a wonderful time at Villa Sumaya that I just want to share my experience. I’ve been several times over the years and have always enjoyed the great food, the beautiful views, magnificent gardens and the colorful attention to details. I especially appreciate the variety of homemade food specialties ranging from an amazing strawberry ginger kambucha tea to delicious fruit rolls, granola bars and a selection of raw cacao drinks and tasty treats. I even bought the Villa Sumaya e-cookbook to try some of their recipes at home.

This trip I enjoyed private yoga classes and found that the instruction was excellent and the studio space was remarkably bright and inspiring to practice in. I would also recommend the Mayan Ceremony as a very authentic and special experience. The Mayan guide really made it all make sense. Finally I found my room to be comfortable and located with a huge view of the lake. The energy in this place is uplifting and conducive to slowing down… something rather rare and precious in this fast paced world. The staff was very friendly, helpful and able to understand my mixed Spanish and English with a smile. I am looking forward to staying at the Sumaya again someday soon!

Room Tip: Call ahead. Sometimes this hotel is closed due to retreat bookings.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Lovely Villa Sumaya is in one word 'Paradise' for me. I came all the way from Europe for a week-long retreat, not knowing what to expect... After a wonderful week I decided to spend my whole 3 weeks holiday here! This place is really my inspiration for creating my own paradise around me. The location along the lake, the lush gardens and beautiful buildings, the staff that makes you feel so much at home, the creative and healthy food and especially also the overall atmosphere that spreads beauty on really everything... I love it and miss it. Hopefully I will be able to bring groups to this lovely shining place. Thank you all at Villa Sumaya!

Room Tip: All rooms have their own beautiful atmosphere and view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Villa Sumaya is one of the best places to visit on Lake Atitlan. I've lived in Guatemala for 20 years and have stayed in most of the hotels over the years but nothing really compares to Villa Sumaya. It has great food, a beautiful garden and a lovely atmosphere. The staff are really friendly and there is something quite magical about the place which is something that everyone mentions who I've met while staying there.

I recently attended a retreat with Sensei Doug Duncan from May 3,2013-May 13, 2013 which was a great experience. The retreat was fully supported by the staff in a most respectful and helpful way.  Even though it was a silent retreat, it was evident that the staff was happy and proud of the work that they were doing.

It's a perfect place for retreat work, you can see and feel the attention and care into every detail of the place, the gardens, the rooms, the communal spaces. There is also a pool, sauna and hot tub to relax in after yoga.

I’d definitely recommend people to stay and spend time in Villa Sumaya and get an opportunity to see Guatemala and the beautiful sunsets on the lake as well as being able to meet the indigenous people who live there and also have a moment to rest and relax in this special place.

Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepequez, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I just finished a 10 day Meditation Retreat at the Villa Sumaya with Sensei Doug Duncan. The temples, rooms and gardens are truely magical, beautifully decorated and very well maintained. The staff was very efficient and the vegetarian food was abundant and healthy as usual. Sensei Doug Duncan, with his usual sense of humor, presented profound teachings on "awakening" in such a way that made their content available to beginners as well as advanced meditators. The Retreat was structured yet flexible and each person had the opportunity to have personal interviews with Sensei. It was truly a time of intense personal growth in a beautiful, supportive environment and I am looking forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view of the lake.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have been visiting Guatemala for well over 30 years and I have seen it change and evolve;
I've been coming to Villa Sumaya for the past 8 years. Every year I bring my personal groups (I don't teach yoga) and sometimes I attend the retreats facilitated by others.

One thing that I have always wanted to give the people that put their trust in my hands as a facilitator of Psychospiritual Integration workshops is to have a great experience, no matter where in the world I create my classes. I have use resorts in Bali, Costa Rica, Egypt, the US, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas and of course Guatemala.

So I ask myself the question, why do you go back to Villa Sumaya again and again.... the answer is quite simple. It is because of the atmosphere that is created there, because of the rooms, the staff, management and owner. In addition to this the location is one of the best in the world, right in front of lake Atitlan, with two majestic volcanoes across from the lake.

Let me go back, the atmosphere: the grounds are kept as one of the best botanical gardens anywhere, it is a treat to walk around and see herbs, fruit tries and native plants covering the grounds. The rooms; I would like to say that if you expect super luxury, stay at the Mandarin Oriental or the Four Seasons Resort. But if you want a beautiful room with Guatemalan flavor, that is clean with an amazing view, hot shower, hammock in your room (not all of them) balcony and super relaxing this is the hotel for you.

The staff, they are friendly and caring, from the cooks and kitchen staff, housekeepers, gardeners, managers they are nice people with the caring disposition of Guatemalan. The general manager is amazing, she is American and goes overboard to help and make sure your reservations and stay at the property are up to par. The owner is from California and with an eye to make the whole space sacred and that is what you get the 20 + years of living in Guatemala and creating a dream like Village that will enchant your soul.

The food is amazing, all vegetarian, if I want fish or chicken I can order that for $7 not a whole lot to pay for that added service and personal attention. The food is abundant so I don't think anyone will go hungry here!!

Now we are talking about Guatemala and being in front of the lake so yes, sometimes the pilot of the water heater goes out.... no big deal, to me anyway. Just tell the manager and in 15 minutes you have hot water.

One of the most amazing things about VS is that it has no road access, so once you are there, you are there! I love this!!

Boats to take you to Panajachel or other parts of the lake run from 6 am on to around 6:30 PM to me this is plenty of time if I have to come and go.

I just came back from VS four days ago, this time as a retreat participant and I can not be any more happy.

Thank you Wendy, Lizzy and all the staff at Villa Sumaya for the heart you put into your work!!

Ernesto

journeytotheheart.com

Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I just came out of a 10 day retreat at Villa Sumaya with meditation teachers Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawsat. I feel rejuvenated, refreshed and strengthened. I was able to go very deep because Wendy, Lizzy and their staff provided excellent service to us meditators. They held the space beautifully. The place was very clean, fresh water was provided to my room on a daily basis, and the meals were light, nutritious and nurturing. We used the temple for teachings, and the yoga studio for yoga. The environment has been designd to help bring harmony, and relaxation to the mind. There is nowhere on the property that has not be attended to with great care. I also enjoyed all the plants, and food forest growing on the property. It is the perfect place to reconnect with your heart, especially if you live and work in a big city. It is a very special place. Thank you Villa Sumaya.

Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Thanks to all at Villa Sumaya for hosting this retreat with Sensei Doug Duncan. The teachings were profound and receiving them in this setting only deepened the experience. All the grounds, the rooms, the temples were a perfectly designed meditative environment. The food was healthy and delicious. I so look forward to being around Sensei's brilliance, humor, and insight at the next year's retreat at Villa Sumaya.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Sumaya? Share your experiences!