“Fantastic Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Cruz Spanish School

Santa Cruz Spanish School
Calle del enbarcadero, Santa Cruz la Laguna, Santa Cruz La Laguna 07014, Guatemala
53 55 88 49
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Educational Sites, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 2006. The school is located about 5 walking minutes away from the main public dock in Santa Cruz la Laguna. Our teachers are highly qualified and flexible. Students can share different experiences with other teachers! It is possible. Our courses are individually or in a small group designed for everyone. All materials provided by the school are free. Our school includes free WIFI and a great place for coffee or just relax. Though we offer structure, we are always ready to accommodate student's particular needs and desires. Our teachers are ready to help if a student feels the need to spend more time on any phase of the learning process...
Hood River, OR
“Fantastic Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband, my twin 9 year old boys and I spent 4 weeks in Santa Cruz attending the Santa Cruz Spanish School and living in a home stay that the school organized for us. It was a delightful experience on many levels and it would not have been possible if it weren't for the effortless professionalism and kindness of Pedro and his crew.

This was the first time we had visited Guatemala and the longest we had ever spent away from home, so we were a bit nervous about what to expect but from the moment the Santa Cruz van picked us up at the airport we felt safe and welcome.

We loved the family that we stayed with and we developed friendships with them that will last for years and years. We are very grateful to Pedro for helping us make that connection.

The location of the school is absolutely beautiful and the teachers were fantastic. My husband and I adored Lidia, our teacher, and she taught us Spanish with an excellent balance of humor and technique. Rosario, the teacher for our boys, was delightful and she kept them moving and laughing throughout the 4 hour lessons each day. Pedro organized some great day trips for us on the weekends and even a 4 day trip to Antigua.

After visiting other towns around the lake, we all felt that Santa Cruz was just the right fit for us-the small village on top of the hill that wasn't filled with tourists, the lovely areas down by the lake and the welcoming people at the school made us feel right at home. It was hard to leave! Highly Recommended.

Visited February 2013
Toursatitlan, Manager at Santa Cruz Spanish School, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Kristen,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very glad hear from your experience at our school and your host family as well. We hope to see you next time in Guatemala and provide you with most of our country.

Again, thank you very much for your review!

Kindly regards,
Santa Cruz Spanish School

Chicago, Illinois
“Good experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This school offers one-on-one Spanish tutoring at a very affordable rate. The teachers were friendly and Pedro and Domingo are excellent hosts. Recommended!

Visited January 2013
Antigua, Guatemala
4 attraction reviews
“great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

i spent a week in santa cruz and set up spanish class for 5 days. they were great, a lot of flexibility in days and times for class. pedro is a fantastic teacher, very patient, and introduced me to local histories as well as learning a lot of new spanish in a week. the classroom is their beautiful yard, full of butterflies and birds, so i also got to learn about the wildlife of lago atitlan.

Visited September 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Very helpful and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

From May to July 2012 I lived at Lake Atitlán, partially to work on my Spanish, so finding a good Spanish school was very important. I was very happy with my experience at the Santa Cruz Spanish School. Santa Cruz is a lovely place to be based, being away from the bigger commercial tourist centres around the lake, while still having a number of good hotel restaurants/bars, and easy access to all the outdoor activities you could want. All the staff at the school were very helpful and friendly, willing to assist and organise in anything you wanted to do while at the lake (or further afield). They are really trying to build the school up and improve the facilities, so will continue to offer more options, but the construction doesn't take away from current classes as these are all done outside in their grounds in nice areas amongst the trees. They have a great vision for the place and it will be interesting to see it all come together.
All the lessons were one-on-one, so move at your pace. While, I found the Spanish lessons to be a good mix of grammatical instructions, vocabulary building and conversation. Throughout my time there I had a single teacher, who I got along with very well, and during lesson breaks I would get to know some of the other teachers as well, who were also very personable.
It was a very relaxed environment, while everyone I dealt with, while being relaxed and friendly were also very professional in everything they did.
Although I organised my own accommodation, I know they are happy to help with this as well. Definitely get in touch with them and see how they can help!

Visited July 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing Spanish School of Santa Cruz La Laguna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Santa Cruz Spanish School, located in a beautiful spot on Lake Atitlan, is a fantastic place to learn Spanish at your own pace and at any level. I spent two weeks at the school and recieved 4 hours of one on one tutoring for 5 days a week. On top of this, I was given access to their facilities that included: many books to assist learning, free coffee, free internet and extremely large discounts on various tours and expeditions around the lake. They can even organise a cheap and comfortable homestay for you in the Santa Cruz village to give you a chance to practice what you have learnt with your teacher. The main reason that the school is so beneficial is that they always try to involve you with the local culture, rather than just give you your lessons and be done with ya. You will recieve plenty of opportunity to go on day trips with your teacher to local villages and communities so see daily life at the lake, while you exercise your spanish. Overall, the staff are extremely helpful and always do their best to make sure you are getting the best out of your stay here.

The homestay is $70 a week, including a private bathroom and 3 meals per day. The lessons are $80 a week for 4 hours of one on one classes per day, as well as access to books and internet.

Santa Cruz La Laguna is by far the best place on Lake Atitlan. It has off the beaten track walking trails that provide the most beautiful views of the 3 volcanoes. And if you sign up for the spanish lessons at the school, along with the homestay, you will be experiencing this fantastic place in a way that most tourists don´t. You will not regret it.

Visited April 2012