“A blissful spot for meditation, lovemaking, and overall grandeur.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atitlan Sunset Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz La Laguna
Atitlan Sunset Lodge
You added Atitlan Sunset Lodge to your Saves list
Tzantizotz, Santa Cruz La Laguna 07014, Guatemala   |
Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala
“A blissful spot for meditation, lovemaking, and overall grandeur.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I have been to over 30 countries and few places are as breathtakingly beautiful as Lake Atitlan. And Armands Sunset Lodge is your stylish yet quiet monastery on the edge of a dream. I have been here for six weeks and it is hard to imagine leaving. It is like living in a water color painting that is constantly being repainted. From the huge bay window, I watch columns of light drift across the lake creating distant emerald green pools of light. There are no roads only trails, so the 20 minute Lake edge walk into town is a pleasant mix of expats and indigenous Mayan Indians. Many still wear their traditional clothes and will great you with an "Utza Watch". Mayan for "Going Good?". A smile always seems close to their eyes. Maybe they know we don't ;)

Many nights I watch storms brew on the far side of the lake. Imagine a giant late afternoon mist enveloping three purple volcanoes. The mist turns dark and heavy obscuring most of their top halves. But these aren't any volcanoes, these are "Lighting Volcanoes". Many nights I watch volcano gods throw dragon shaped lighting through cloud banks at each other.

The clouds visiting the lake are usually the giant cumulus clouds, you know the really big puffy ones. Sometimes you look up and get one hell of a shock. The "Holy Cow, That's a Volcano Blowing Up!!" experience without out it actually blowing up. The first couple of times really get ya. I am beginning to suspect the the clouds and volcanoes are in cahoots.

Well I would like to keep writing but I am sitting "here" right now. And with the pitter patter of rain on the roof, my warm covers, and the twinkling lights of distant villages, I am reminded of my not so distant dreams. I hope all us have the chance to fall asleep in heaven.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Families
Sandpoint, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We found this place online, and it was so much better than I expected. I thought there would be a lot of bugs, but we only encountered the occasional mosquito in the night. It was quiet and perfectly simple, with a complete kitchen, and phenomenal views of the lake and volcanoes from the 2 decks. The bed was very comfortable. The hot water heater took a little getting used to, but once we worked with it a little, it was fine. It was gas and not one of those electric suicide heaters you see often in Central American showers.

There are many homes to rent from here, but one thing that makes this place stand out is the incredible kindness of the property owners. They went so far above and beyond what I could ever expect, and I could see it was from their big hearts and not because they felt they had to.

If you like to live simple and peaceful, this is the place for you. Many necessities can be found within walking distance, and what cannot be found on foot, is only a short 10 minute boat ride away in Panajachel.

I intend on returning in the near future, and would recommend this place to friends and family ( I already have :)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

My husband & I rented the two story house for a month, and every day were grateful we had chosen to stay there. The house suits two people perfectly, and for a long stay is very economical due to the fully equipped kitchen. The owner, Armand, is helpful in every way. A long time resident, he has great knowledge of the terrain, the people and the way of life. No question or request seemed too insignificant for him to address. The views are the best on the lake and the lack of white noise was more relaxing than you can imagine.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

I cannot review Armand or his lovely rental home high enough. Armand is a courteous and fun host, and he is quite certainly the most balanced person that I have ever met. I felt at home the moment I arrived.

This spacious studio is a blissful sanctuary, equipped with everything one could ask for—coffee maker, blender, oven, hot water and even an enormous bay window overlooking the most stunning view on the lake. Every day at home awakened the deep peace, creativity and sense of awe necessary to write at my highest potential. With two trips to the market for fresh produce per week, a strong internet connection, gorgeous gardens, nearby yoga and hiking/swimming opportunities galore, I recommend Armand’s heavenly studio to anyone seeking respite from their daily life.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I rented the middle house for a month to get away from the city and pursue my writing ambition, it turned out to be the perfect place. Located in Paxanax Bay you are a 30 minute walk from Sta Cruz town, and a 10 minute boat ride from Panajachel. There are no supply stores around so you have to make sure you bring everything you need with you from Pana. The house is incredibly charming and secluded, i also felt it was very safe. It a 2 minute walk down to the private pier and set in one of the cleanest parts of the lake, great for swimming. The house has everything you need for a long stay. A full kitchen, gas water heater, towles, etc. It is in preety good shape except for a couple of leaks when it rained. The views are amazing and never get old. The bed in very comfortable as is the small upstairs couch. On the downside, the bedroom curtains are sheer so i found it hard to sleep in because the light woke me up very early and there was a construction in the same property so the noise did get anoying at times. There are lots of bugs and insects which i was expecting so I would highly recomend to bring bugspray. The owner is incredibly attentive and was always very friendly and responsive. Overall the place is amazing. I had a great month and will definitely go back some day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
kelseyduck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I rented this apartment long-term while we spent ten months volunteering with a medical NGO in the nearby Kaqchikel Maya town of Santa Cruz La Laguna. The breathtaking views of the volcanoes across the emerald lake never got old, and we spent many mornings and evenings sitting on the porch, sipping coffee or wine, and enjoying the incredibly peaceful vistas. This is a great choice of place to stay because you are lovely walking distance from a few hotels/restaurants but are really secluded in your own little getaway. I would far and away recommend it over a traditional hotel, and for a longer-term stay the full kitchen was especially nice.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Atitlan Sunset Lodge? Share your experiences!