“my favorite place in Guatemala!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Casa del Mundo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaibalito
La Casa del Mundo Hotel
You added La Casa del Mundo Hotel to your Saves list
El Jaibalito, Santa Cruz La Laguna, Jaibalito, Guatemala   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jaibalito
Pennsylvania
“my favorite place in Guatemala!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

I stayed here in October 2008 and now again in February 2009. The hotel is my favorite place in Guatemala...maybe even all of the places I have ever been to!

The rooms are all individually cute and unique, decorated entirely of Mayan homespun textiles and local handicrafts, from different regions of Guatemala. Each has it's own personal charm and different views and advantages. I would love to be able to stay in each room to be able to experience each of these little indulgences.

I had always said that room #13 is the best room in the house, but on my recent return, I also stayed in room #12 and now I am thinking that room 12 is my preference. Room 13 does have unbeatablely the best views, but room 12 has the nicest and most private ambience. Sits the highest on the hill, so it is quite a hike to get back and forth, to and from the restaurant. Would be perfect for that little romantic hideaway....;)

The food was outstandingly much better than I remembered it! That would had been the only thing that I could have thought of improving while here four months ago. And it appears that they did! Dinner is served communal-style while dining in candlelight.

I got to swim in the lake this time around, since October was kind of chilly and overcast. Very refreshing and inviting to jump into!!

All in all, I would have to say that it only keeps getting better here at La Casa del Mundo!! I will definitely be going back!!

• Liked — everything!!
  • Disliked — that I had to leave...
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

We stayed two nights at Casa del Mundo. Arriving by boat and seeing the hotel was quite exciting. We had a room with three beds on the same level as the restaurant and near the kitchen. It was a good location for us. It is a charming place and even though there are many steps and we were up and down them many times during the day our knees held up and we would go back in a minute. My friends bed had a big sink hole in it and wasn't very comfortable. It's such a great place, they really should make sure the beds are in good shape. The breakfast and lunch are wonderful but we found the dinners to be just ok. This is in part that everyone eats the same menu and it is probably hard to please that many people. We did meet interesting people and enjoyed hikes around the lake. We had planned to kayak but it was very windy while we were there. We all really loved Casa del Mundo and hope to return some day.

• Liked — the wonderful lake view
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

We stayed at Casa del Mundo with another couple for 3 nights in November. From the moment the boat pulled up to the dock I knew we were in for a truly unique experience. The hotel is so beautiful and the grounds are well attended to. The stone terraces all around the grounds looking onto the lake are fantastic for swimming, visiting or just relaxing. Both our rooms (we had number 11, the other couple number 12) had lake views and were very comfortable. The dinners were very good and it was great to meet different people from all over the globe each night. The service was truly exceptional - the staff are pleasant, attentive and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone who is interested in a unique and memorable experience on beautiful Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

After spending a month in Guatemala in several different lodgings, this is the most comfortable place to stay. Our room had a wonderful view of the lake. The amazing structure Bill and Rosea created out of rock and mortar on the side of a sheer cliff is phenomenal. Their vision and ability to transform a seemingly unbuildable dwelling is commendable. I was so happy to see the incorporation of a sustainable infrastructure like the solar hot water system and the composting of trash. Also the waste water system does not touch the lake … all waste water is pumped up to a drain field away from the lake and hotel. This fact made it a wonderful place to swim and plenty deep for some sweet dives. Not having TV was nice too.. instead of wasting my hours away watching CNN I was able to venture out and see the neighboring villages and the country side and if you do need to be connected there was always WIFI. The service and food was superb as well. From breakfast to the great smoothee for lunch and then the wonderful dinner where you get to meet the other guest on one big dinner table…. My wife , 4 year old son and I truly enjoyed our stay . Thanks for building that for us!!

• Liked — The none 3rd world feeling I got there
  • Disliked — The volcano wasn't flowing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

My wife and I stumbled upon La Casa on our first family trip after our wedding. The place's location, on a cliffside next to an the mayan village of El Jaibalito, with views of the three ethereal volcanoes (perfectly lined up) and a short boat ride away from the vibrant colors of contemporary Mayan Guatemala, did more than culminate a fantastic vacation, it brought my wife and I closer together. We had some of those moments and conversations that every new couple needs to have: those series of exchanges that stay in your memory for good.

Our friends (can't really call them staff) give us ideal amount of attention and filled us in with the activities, services and businesses nearby that added the final touches to our nearly perfect visit.
When back from a day of entertainment, we were welcomed home with really good food and drink, consistently.

When traveling to this place with the right person (or people) there's something about this place that can alter you, leave you marked, enchanted, not only for the rest of your vacation, but for, well, for my wife and I, for the full 8 months we've been married.

Beware of the boat drivers and choppy waves, always part of an adventurous experience, i guess.

• Liked — setting, architecture, staff, food, fellow guests, family style dinners, views of Lake Atitlan, surrounding region, the mood my wife entered
  • Disliked — boat fares, choppy waves, evening wind
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

There is no question that this is a special place, the lake view from the rooms is magnificent and very peaceful and the rooms are clean and cozy. But, since the place received such great reviews we expected more. The room was very small, the bathroom was extermely small and uncomfortable. The food at the restaurant was very good, but in the community dinners there was not much of a variety.

• Liked — The view from the room
  • Disliked — The tiny bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bethesda, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

I'd been reading raves about this place for so long that I decided to splurge. It's a beautiful place. The room was very nicely decorated and the water was hot -- a welcome change after a week of electric showerheads. My room had an essentially private balcony with a great view. There was someone to carry my bags up from the dock, and thank goodness, because I counted -- it's 105 steps up to the office. The service was very good, and as a frequent Spanish-speaking traveler to Guatemala, I've never come across so many English-speaking Mayans in my life, which is nice if you're feeling lazy.

You are pretty much stuck there for dinners, and whatever they're serving. There must have been a sale on tomatoes when I was there, because tomato soup one night was followed the next night by tomato salad. I didn't think the dinners lived up to what others have said, and they cost more than the $10 dollars I was told, but the other meals were fine.

I'd still go back!

• Liked — Great room and views
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Casa del Mundo Hotel? Share your experiences!