La casa del mundo
This little hotel sits on beautiful lake atitlan. Typically, our reviews split pros and cons but depending on the traveler perspective you may have, our observations can go either way. Here's some of our thoughts on the hotel:
1) it's remote! It took us about 2.5 hours from Guatemala city to the docks in Panachel. From there, we grabbed a private water taxi (200Q for 4 of us) or you can grab a public taxi (about 20Q per person).
2) beautiful views! The views from the hotel are spectacular. Overlooking the lake, the rooms hang out from the cliff. Surrounded by foliage and wildlife, it's very peaceful. However...
3) it takes a lot of stairs to reach the main lodge and beyond. You are literally walking up stories of stairs. Some stairs are steep, some shallow, some flat. We are both out of shape and we felt it. Our calves were sore and the size of ships by the end of our stay. Luckily, luggage is carried by the waitstaff.
4) The private rooms are lovely. We stayed in room 11, while our family stayed in room 12. Very large room, comfortable bathroom, hammock on the porch. We couldn't ask for anything better. Our family's room was just as nice. They had a larger room but much smaller porch. Our only beef is that our room was directly under 12 and you could hear them walking around. Honestly, it was like they were performing gymnastics it was so loud so be forewarned.
5) The food was cheap and delicious. Dinner is served family style. Everyone staying at the hotel eats at one time for dinner. if you are looking for a quiet romantic dinner, this won't be it. Our first night we had a choice of beef, chicken, or tofu. Second night the choice was between tofu teriyaki or fish teriyaki. Both meals were delicious. The breakfast menu is extensive and also delicious. We recommend the breakfast burrito.
6) We found the staff to be very friendly and attentive. They were fluent in both English and Spanish . They helped us with our travel plans and exchanging currency. They do not take any credit cards but do accept travelers checks (Have your passport number handy when signing travelers checks with an identical signature).
All in all, we would recommend this hotel as its remote location and peacefulness very much appealed to us. We found the prices to be extremely affordable, even for the private rooms. We enjoyed the amenities of the hotel (wood fire hottub, boardgames, drinks, food) and its proximity to the local town. Next time, since it is so remote, we would spend a longer time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guatemala's most magical hotel - Lonely Planet. 17 rooms built upon a Jaibalito cliffside pleasantly house travelers from all over the world. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Hotel La Casa Del Mundo
- La Casa Del Mundo Hotel Guatemala/Jaibalito, Lake Atitlan