“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jaibalito
Paris, France
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

We stayed here at the end of a 3-week trip around Guatemala, fully intending to use it as a base to explore the Atitlan area. However the location was so gorgeous (I think it was Aldous Huxley who said that Lake Atitlan was the most beautiful lake in the world, so who am I to argue) that we just stayed on the spot for 3 days. Our room was sublime - lying on the bed you seemed to be floating above the water with two magnificent volcanoes for backdrop.The atmosphere is very low-key and friendly, the rooms are tastefully decorated with local fabrics and objets d'art and even the communal evening meal (not normally my thing) was pleasurable. This place is unforgettable - I hope I'll get back there one day!

Stayed August 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

I have been to this hotel 3 times and recommended it to others (who have been much more recently than my last trip) and they have all enjoyed it as much as I did. It is a relaxing retreat with beautiful views of the lake and a friendly atmosphere away from the crazy touristy Panajachel.

• Stayed March 2003, traveled solo
washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

I loved everything about this place. When we arrived we had one of the best rooms in the hotel complete with a view of the lake and a balcany. The family style meal we had for dinner was one of the best ones i had during my stay in Guatemala. I loved the hamocks they had spread out all over the place. its a great place to relax and get away from everything.

• Liked — The relaxing atmoshere
  • Disliked — I liked everything I guess the hot tub was a little hot
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

Casa del Mundo has been a consistent favorite of mine for its excellent value. Great views, great rooms, and friendly staff. This year we decided to try something different since we were traveing with friends who hadn't done the 'backpacking' thing before. We found Lomas de Tzunana (right near Casa del Mundo) at [--] where there were a bunch of other great suggestions for Lake Atitlan, Antigua, and other parts of the country. Lomas is a bit more expensive, but has a less crowded feel to it. The views are spectacular and a bit more private. The owners, Thierry and Maria, are excellent hosts... the most interesting people I have come across in my travels! If you are looking for something a little more private and secluded than Casa del Mundo, look up Lomas de Tzunana.

• Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

La Casa Del Mundo is by far the BEST hotel around Lake Atitlan. It is absolutely beautiful - great views, great food, great rooms, great location. You can swim, kayak, hang out in the several hammocks around the area, hike, and simply enjoy the moment there! You can hike from this hotel to Santa Cruz and/or San Marcos. It is also a neat experience to hike into the small village of Jaibalito. Taking trips on the boat to other villages is also a must experience.

The best room is #3 - Great location.

Several steep steps are required to hike up after you get out of the boat - but the views are spectacular and worth the bit-o-hike.

EVERY night, you will be able to dine with everyone else staying at the establishment - and you will meet people from all over the world! They place the tables together and serve a delicious community meal. Brilliant!

I love this hotel - it is surely a favorite of mine - and a MUST stay whenever I am in Guatemala.

• Liked — The views!
  • Disliked — uh - nothing! It was absolutely divine!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

A bit of a delayed review, but the memories are still fresh! Myself and a friend spent three days at this hotel over Christmas 2006. My friend had been at Spanish school for a few weeks and I had had a busy time at work and this was the perfect place to relax.

A beautifully located hotel, with stunning views and a lovely relaxed atmosphere. We stayed in one of the budget rooms with shared bathrooms. Only three rooms were sharing the shower rooms, so no problem with overcrowding as you get in some shared bathroom places. And there are beautiful views from the top too! It's true that there are a lot of steps...but then there are also a lot of rest spots on the way up! And we did have help with our bags.

There are plenty of little nooks and crannies and different patios all around the grounds, so there is no problem with lack of privacy or space. The patios are a real sun trap and the lake presents a perfect cooling off opportunity.

The food was great and the communal dinners are a great opportunity to socialise and meet fellow guests. There's not a big social scene in the evenings but that just means lots of early nights and more sleep and relaxation.

This was somewhere we just didn't want to leave so apart from kayaking for an hour or two we did little else; we did feel a little guilty about this but as we checked out the owner said "you come here to undo not do". I couldn't have put it better myself!

• Liked — Stunning views and opportunity for total relaxation.
  • Disliked — There was nothing I did not like!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

I have worked in Guatemala for over 7 years and found this place about 5 years ago. It is amazing. Truely amazing. I just got back from my honeymoon, were we spent 10 days at the casa del mundo. Quiet, private, and perfect. Always ask for room #13. The best view the place has. As for getting sick like the other reviews said, people its Guatemala. Be prepared. I always bring cipro and pepto with me. Some people are affected differently.

One draw back are the stairs. You are wiped out after about 120 steep steep stairs. But my Grandmother did it! She's 77, of course she was holding on to me the whole way and complaining that their were no hand rails. People go to the Casa del Mundo because of the view. I can stress enough how beauiful it is.

I have been to this place over 10 times. And loved it. Highly recommended. One of the best hotels in my opinion in the world.

Stayed April 2007

Been to La Casa del Mundo Hotel? Share your experiences!