“Lovely Place in Jungle Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tranquilo Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Drake Bay
Tranquilo Lodge
You added Tranquilo Lodge to your Saves list
100 Meters North of Pirate Cove, Drake Bay, Costa Rica (Formerly Hotel Ojala)   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
“Lovely Place in Jungle Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Tranquilo Lodge for three nights. Everything was perfect: (i) the rooms are big, clean and have air conditioner; (ii) the lodge is near from everything; (iii) the food was homemade and tasty; (iv) the staff booked all the tours on our behalf; (v) all payment methods are accepted (including Paypal); and (vi) the most valuable, Mary, Herb and Kimmie, the owners and managers of the hotel, made us feel like family (gave us medicine, free rides, etc.). I totally recommend it!

Aldo and Elisa from México.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite is awesome! Totally worth it if you are travelling with your couple.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Myself, 3 friends and an 8-month-old baby stayed here in November 2014 for five nights and i can say with confidence that this amazing place is head and shoulders above all the other hotels in this magnificent region. Manager Mary and owner Herb could not have been more welcoming and both of them were very happy to help us in any way they could to make our stay in Drake Bay a memorable one. The food was nothing short of superb; the wonderful chefs constantly created an imaginative and tasty mix of local flavours and home comforts. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable, with great beds and constant hot water. The highlight for us, however, was the spectacular infinity pool on the upper level, with outrageous views of the coastline, rainforest and nearby Cano Island. We all spent many a happy hour cooling down after a hard days excursion relaxing up there with a cold beer and a view to die for.
In conclusion, i cannot recommend Tranquilo Lodge enough - Drake Bay was the highlight of our Costa Rica experience, and a big part of that was due to the welcome and comfort we received at the Lodge.

Many thanks again to Mary, Herb and the rest of their team for giving us a slice of heaven. Hope to see you all again very soon.

Carl, London UK

Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I totally enjoyed our very memorable stay at Tranquilo Lodge! it was such a nice retreat from our normal hectic world. The staff was outstanding and helped to take care of every request we had or needed. We could have stayed forever just looking at the beautiful landscape, the sunsets, and the birds and monkeys!

The meals were delightful, hand prepped and healthy! We enjoyed swimming in both pools and the sunsets at the infinity pool were amazing. We are so glad to have found this magnificent place in the rainforest. The beach is within walking distance and a great place to spend the day, water shoes are handy! The yellow fin tuna we caught was wonderfully cooked that evening for dinner, what a treat!!! Thanks everyone!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Awesome stay at the Tranquilo Lodge. We were in the mid level top room, very nice space for couple and a 8 month boy. No crib unfortunately so took our own pop-up. The gang looked after us really really well, great food every meal. The infinity pool up the hill is spectacular and worth the price alone. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The upstairs lodges are stunning but the hill up there is steep!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

This review is way overdue but better late then never. We stayed at Tranquilo Lodge back in January and had a lovely time. The lodge had recently been taken over by new owners and the new website still was not quite up and running. It is a beautiful yet very comfortable lodge. We stayed in the upper room cabina and could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. Our favorite spot was the deck that had an incredible view especially from the oversized hammock. I spent hours reading, napping, enjoying the view and listening to all the beautiful birds serenade us. It could not have been more relaxing. This was our third trip to the OSA peninsula and we did not feel driven to do a bunch of day trips. This was a wonderful place to just enjoy being.
The lodge had some kayaks to paddle around the Mangrove situated in front of the lodge which were quite fun. Mary did a super job hosting. She is a great cook as well as just plain fun to visit with, she really looked out for us. We were disappointed not to meet Herb the owner though I appreciated his attention via emails. Yamil also went out of his way to make sure all our needs wer being met. Everyone we came in contact were very service oriented. We would recommend Tranquilo Lodge to anyone interested in enjoying the most beautiful part of Costa Rica. Donna & Bill

Room Tip: Loved the upper cabina.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I really, reallly enjoyed my stay at Tranquilo Lodge. I was there 3 nights. I stayed in number 6. It was facing the road and had a view of the ocean. The room is very simple, wifi but no TV.

Mary was great! She helped me get there from Sierpe. I took the shuttle from Manuel Antonio, then a boat taxi to Drake Bay. She was waiting for me and drove me to the lodge. She helped me find a taxi from Sierpe back north. She got up every morning to make breakfast (I had some really early mornings and that was such a treat).

While I was there, some of the owners were there as well. They were very nice, hospitable and helpful. They even showed up the new bungalows and infinity pool. The view is amazing.

The meals were incredible!! And we didn't have rice and beans at every meal. That was really a treat. I went on two day trips and in hindsight, I should've have asked for a bag lunch for the trips. The food on the day trips was not great.

They were having some plumbing problems when I was there, but they were very apologetic and I'm sure it's taken care of by now. They have a hot water heater on the shower, but I couldn't get it hotter than lukewarm. Make sure to really listen when Mary explains the directions :) The water is pretty warm in general, so that wasn't a big deal. Off the kitchen, there is a small pool, but it wasn't working.

The only little downside for me was it was about a 30 minute walk to the grocery store/center of town. The lodge doesn't have a bar or a store so anything extra you want you'll have to go to town. The walk is fine and beautiful, just a bit long. However, I'm a solo female traveler and getting a ride into town on a passing motorbike was pretty easy. Only one person asked me to pay for like it was a taxi. They do have some taxis as well. I'm not sure how much it costs.

If I go to Drake Bay again, I'll probably stay in a bungalow (if i really save up I'll stay in the schmancy new ones). Those were really nice, a great view, and higher off the road.

Room Tip: Go ahead and splurge for the bungalow if you can. It has more privacy and a hammock.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We spent one week at Tranquilo Lodge in July and had the best time ever! My husband and I stayed in Room 8, which is a separate bungalow with AMAZING views of the ocean and sunsets (and macaws, iguanas and parrots). My 18 year old twins stayed in a basic room in the lodge that was very adequate. I'd have to say the best part about staying at Tranquilo is the people. We had a couple nights when we were the only family at the lodge, and we had a fabulous time visiting with Mary, the manager. She's a lovely person! Mary's son, Joseph, gave us a tour of the beach and went swimming with us too - what a great kid! When swimming, my daughter got stung by a jellyfish and Joseph rushed her back to the lodge and performed first aid. He was so professional, and did I mention he's 8 or 9 years old?! Also, one day Emilio drove us into town to get some things at the local market. Joseph came and translated, so I was able to get everything I needed. Rafa, Emilio ,and Marisa worked at the lodge and they were wonderful people too! Mary took my husband and I on a tour of the additions that were being built above the lodge. Talk about extraordinary & first class! When those villas are done, we'd love to come back and stay in one! While we were there we enjoyed tours with Carlos Pacheco. We loved him! He's native to the area and knew every little spot in the jungle to find monkeys, tapirs etc. He even mimicked their sounds and we were able to see so many animals (all three types of monkeys, peccaries, tapirs, an anteater, & so many birds)! He was also incredibly knowledgeable about animals and plants. We went river floating, hiking in Corcovado, and snorkeling with Carlos and learned so much! One night my son was ill, and Carlos came by and asked our chef, Rafa to make a tea out of some plants that Carlos had brought from the jungle.- How thoughtful is that! Also, during that time, we had gone on another day trip with Carlos, and my son stayed back at the lodge. Mary took great care of him - bringing him drinks and meals and making sure he was comfortable. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the people at Tranquilo are just genuinely caring, loving people! I was sorry we didn't have a chance to meet Herb, the owner, as so many other reviews spoke so highly of him. One last note, we loved the dogs! Blackie lives at Tranquilo - he's a cute little sausage! And Rescue and Sasha came by to visit - they even walked into town with us one day. These dogs are so loveable! Mary, Joseph, Rafa, Emilio and Marisa thanks for the best time ever! We were so sad to leave, we miss you guys!

Room Tip: Room 8 was fabulous!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Tranquilo Lodge? Share your experiences!