Everything we read in the reviews was accurate.
Getting to and from the resort to the village of Drake Bay requires a wet departure and landing. Bring sandals or appropriate foot wear and shorts.
We had a room with A/C and it did a good job of keeping the room cool. Bathroom does not have A/C (screens for ventilation).
Our room was well appointed, clean, and spacious. Ours was the farthest from all the other communal buildings. But it was not a problem and good walk.
Food and meals were excellent and everyone at the Resort took GREAT care of us.
When I returned from a tour through Corcovado NP completely dehydrated and ill, the staff helped out by coming to our room with a special electrolyte beverage that had me quickly up.
Tours with Manuel was super and he took pictures with our point and shoot digitals through his excellent spotting scope.
Tours were excellent and well organized along with food and beverages.
Internet by the office was far superior to the bar internet that uses a 3G phone connection.
Be aware it is very warm and humid there. We were soaked whenever we walked outside.
- Also Known As:
- Drake Bay Wilderness Hotel Drake Bay
- Drake Bay Wilderness Hotel
- Drake Bay Wilderness Resort Costa Rica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since it was founded in 1985, Drake Bay Wilderness Resort has continued to be a family run business. Our focus has been to take good care of our guests so that they'll feel right at home. We try to be as flexible as possible, taking into consideration people´s needs and we do our very best to fulfill special requests. For instance, we will prepare meals for special diets. Furthermore, the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful locations in the area. It has large open areas with a bounty of beautiful flowers, tropical plants, big mango trees, and beach almond trees that attract the raucous macaws. The property gives you the feel of being in a private island since the river flows along the backside of the property and the whole front side meets the ocean. In addition to this, most visitors come to us by boat and the access by land to the hotel is a small path, unreachable by car, that is submerged in a jungle. Best of all, there is a paradise like view of the bay and ocean, reflecting the deep blue sky and, beyond that, hills bound in lush forests.We offer all sorts of extras that help make our guests' stay more comfortable and enjoyable. For example, we include a full laundry service. Kayaks close to the water are always at our guests' disposal. We have a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, dock, and hammocks to relax under the shade of a tree with the cool ocean breeze blowing on you. From our hotel we take guests on adventures in snorkeling, hiking, diving, canoeing and whale watching. Visitors often see four species of monkeys, sloths, tapir, caiman and a myriad of birds, including the scarlet macaw, mangrove hawk, toucan... ... more less