“Green Luxury Escape Where the Ocean Meets the Rain Forest” 5 of 5 stars

MAY FREE NIGHT WITH MEALS
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
McKinney, Texas
“Green Luxury Escape Where the Ocean Meets the Rain Forest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

If you love nature and want to experience all the rain forest and ocean has to offer in a natural setting, Aguila de Osa is the place you need to go to. This place was a great hub for all of the activities you can do on the Osa Peninsula, but you didn’t even have to leave the resort to experience nature. Everything here was top-notch; the food, the staff, the accommodations, and the scenery around the resort. My wife and I will definitely return to this place someday. Since there is so much to say about this place, I have decided to put this review in parts so you can skip to the areas you are most curious about.

ARRIVAL: We flew into Drake Bay Airport via Nature Air, and from there were taken by transport van to a boat where you had to enter the boat in the surf. Your feet will get wet this way, but it didn’t bother us too much. The boat ride from here is about 5 to 10 minutes to the resort where you exit the boat onto a dock. If you are weary about boarding a boat in the surf, there is a way to get here where you will not have to get in the water. You can fly into Palmar Sur; the resort owns a dock near this airport situated on the Sierpe River, where you can get into the boat without entering the water. The boat ride from this location to the dock at the resort will be somewhere around an hour, but is more scenic than the Drake Bay Option.

BEACHES: There are multiple beaches within walking distance of the resort. The ones with the best water are a 20 - 30 minute hike away from the resort and have signs along a well travelled path to help show you the way. The resort will provide you with beach towels if you plan to check out the beaches. The sand here is darker and more gritty than you may be used to, so wearing water shoes is a good idea, and this sand gets HOT if the sun is shining. The great news is that you don't have to worry about the beaches being crowded. The most people we saw on any of the beaches was about 10 to 15 people.

FOOD/DINING: The resort provides breakfast, lunch, dinner, and appetizers during cocktail hour before dinner. Also, many of the tours provide lunch for you if you will not be back at the resort in time for lunch. Breakfast includes your choice of cereal, fresh made juice, coffee, and muffins/rolls/bread. Also, there is a menu in which you can order anything from toast to specialized omelets, and also offers sides of sausage, bacon, ham, etc. For the lunches at the resort, you typically get to choose between two offerings; one fish dish and one chicken/beef/pork dish. The appetizers during the cocktail hour were a pleasant surprise. There are typically fresh made chips, crispy plantains/yucca, along with some dips and ceviche made from fresh caught fish. There is also some sort of meat/fish appetizer included with the chips and dips. Dinners are served right after the cocktail hour in a communal fashion. You get a 3 course meal, which comes with a soup/salad of the day, choice of fish or meat entrée, and dessert. All dinner choices are posted on a white board, and change daily depending on the fresh fish and meat available to the chef. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed every meal we had during our stay. The chef is great, and they can work around any food requirements you may have. We also really enjoyed the communal dining aspect of dinner. You get to talk to many different people from different places and share your experiences that you had throughout the day. Before each dinner, you are assigned a table at which to sit; you do not sit at the same table every night with the same people, so you get the opportunity to get to know different people as they come and go.

ROOMS: My wife and I chose to stay in room 12, which is also known as the Junior/Honeymoon Suite. As you have probably read, the trek to the room involves a lot of uphill climbing, but you get used to it. There are plenty of places to stop and catch your breath on the way up. The path up is paved and has rails and steps along the way. The path is well lit, so a flashlight is not required, but you may still want to bring one along in case you want to check out some critters you may encounter along the path. We found the room to be very accommodating. Although we were concerned about not having air conditioning, we found this was not an issue with the fans running and the breeze coming in through the privacy screens. The rooms include a stocked refrigerator which you can either use what they provide (for a fee), or put your own items inside. The water in the resort is filtered, and my wife and I filled up our water bottles from the tap many times without issue. Most of the rooms face in a direction so that you only get sun in the morning, and by the afternoon your porch is shaded. Rooms 12 and 14 are the highest and most private rooms in the resort.

STAFF: All of the staff at the resort was very friendly, and almost all of them spoke English in addition to their native language. Once they learn your name, they always acknowledge you by your name, and always greet you with a smile. They always ask you if you need anything, and are ready to accommodate. Carlos is the man you will probably deal with when planning your excursions for the next day, and he is also a guide for some of the tours offered. He is extremely passionate about wildlife and probably knows the scientific and common name of every bird, plant, and animal you will come across while you are there. He will also go out of his way to help you find any bird/animal you may want to see.

TOURS: I’m not going to go into great detail about the tours since most of them happen away from the resort, but I will tell you every tour we took was enjoyable. If you want to see the most wildlife, take the Mangrove Tour/ Corcovado Sirena Station Tour. We were a little concerned about taking the Sirena Station Tour because of the descriptions we read about it not being for the “tepid traveler”, but we found the hike to be pretty easy. The terrain is mostly flat, and you stop frequently to check out the wildlife. The hardest part about the tour was the wet landing where you have to walk over a rocky beach before reaching the sand to change into your hiking boots/shoes.

TIPS: Surprisingly, we did not encounter any mosquitoes during our stay. You should bring bug spray as a precaution, but don’t expect to need it. Bring lots of sunscreen, especially if you easily burn. Bring a good set of binoculars/scope to help you view the wildlife better. The tour guides usually carry a scope with them, but you’ll have to share it with everyone else on the tour and the wildlife doesn’t usually stay in one place for too long.

Room Tip: Rooms 12 and 14 are the suites that are the most private in the resort. 12 is the junior suite and...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Aguila de Osa Inn for 3 nights last week and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room had screens on 3 sides to allow for airflow and adequate fans as well. It was perfectly clean, plenty of towels provided and no nasty bugs on the room. The balcony with rocking chairs and hammock overlooking beautiful grounds and water was great.

We did the Cano Island snorkeling tour and Corcovado National Park tour. The snorkeling was great- we saw sharks, sea turtle, an eagle ray, school of big eyed jack and tons of fish. Sandra was an excellent guide. The Corcovado hike entailed plenty of birds and other animals with walks through beach area and rainforest. We were very hot and sweaty towards the tail end of the hike and were happy it ended in a refreshing swim in a natural waterfall. Tony was a great guide, very interesting and did a superior job explaining things to English, Spanish and Italian speaking people on our hike. He made sure everyone understood and got a good look at the animals, plants and flowers he was pointing out.

The service at the Inn was unobtrusive, but very friendly and helpful when engaged. We both thought that the food was excellent. Many choices for breakfast, hearty lunches, and tasty dinners, usually with a fish choice or beef, chicken, etc. I'm vegetarian and they couldn't be nicer or more accommodating. Special lunches during the tours and dinners that were absolutely delicious. Only mentioned that I'm vegetarian upon check in and they took it from there. They really took the time and made lovely, well thought out dishes for me.

Although we agree with others comments about the walk to the room and not always having hot water for an entire shower, didn't really find that to be that big of a deal. Who wants a super hot shower for a long time in a warm tropical climate anyway! We would definitely recommend this Inn and return again ourselves in the future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a charming and friendly lodge type hotel which is pleasantly small and where you get opportunity in the evenings to get to know your fellow guests. Plenty to do from walks, scuba diving, trips to the nature reserve, kayaking etc. This is quite a remote area but you can walk to the small village where, should you wish, there is a bar or two to break the monotony of meals/drinks at the resort restaurant/bar. Having said that the food was good as was the wine. The staff were really fantastic and we found this a wonderful, and probably the best place in Costa Rica, that we stayed. The rooms were good but with no air conditioning although we didn't find that to be a problem. I even managed a 10k run along the coast path through the forest. Head toward the beach and just keep following the trail. Very hot but very enjoyable! If you are looking for a base from which to explore this remote region you are unlikely to find better.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I love this place! We went to Drake Bay for our honeymoon, and could not have picked a better hotel than Aguila. The trip to Drake Bay, including the Nature Air flight in a small plane and the drive to Drake Bay where you take a boat to the hotel is itself an adventure. All of us tourist were in awe when the van that took us to town drove through rivers on the way. 

We met Bradd , the owner on the day we got there, and what a humble, gentle guy. My husband and I had stomach issues before we got to Costa Rica, and the fresh food, clean water, in addition to some medicine from Bradd’s cabinet helped us very much, and we recovered soon after.

There are many tours available, we booked them ahead of time as a package, and they were all great. We did snorkeling at Cano Island, I really wanted to dive but my husband wasn’t feeling well. The divers sad they saw whales, turtles and sting rays all in one dive, which is remarkable.

On our way to Corcovado National Park San Pedrillo Ranger Station we saw dolphins and whales from the boat. They were only meters away from us. Took great pictures! During the hike we saw three different kinds of monkeys, red macaws, a crocodile, beautiful blue butterflies and money other birds like great blue herons, pelicans and other I don’t remember the name of. Our guide carried a telescope which made it easy for us all to see the animals and take pictures through the telescope’s lenses.

We also took the Corcovado Canopy Tours. I was very scared at first, but we had a lot fun! It was a great experience. We took great videos/pictures with our Sony action cam. Thanks Manuel and Pedro for their support oh and the lady there who served us the pineapple. We really needed that at the end. 

I looked forward to dinner here every night. The food was delicious and fresh. The kitchen is open, and you see the cooks working there with fresh produce, it’s amazing. I read bad reviews on TripAdvisor about the kitchen, and staff. Definitely not true.

We dined with such great people from all over the world, an American violist from Germany with her Swedish husband, a French born Belgian woman from Montreal and her American husband, a young couple from San Francisco, another young couple from New York, a father and his two daughters from Australia, a woman from Austria were some of the ones I won’t forget.

We’ve been to other resorts close to nature in Mexico, but nature in Mexico does not compare to Costa Rica. This place was heavenly. We had a white faced monkey come visit us at the balcony while we were having our honeymoon champagne. Because of some previous experiences in other hotels we are sensitive to bugs/insects in the room. This place was super clean, the floors so shiny, I could see my own footprint.

I know after I finish this review I’ll remember all the things I forgot to write here. What a wonderful place this was, and to think I was there only a week ago!! I saw some reviews here complaining there are no docks, and you have to walk through the water up to your knees to get into the boats. Well, I loved that there are no docks and they kept the nature as is. If you are looking to hang out at a super commercial place with lounge chairs and hamburger stands on the beach with loud banging music, this is not the place to go.

Before I end my review here, special thanks go to Ian. He did mess with me first pretending not to speak English that I was surprised to see how fluent he is later on. He had been very helpful during our whole stay. Thanks Ian!

Also a suggestion for Bradd, we met such great people at your hotel, and became close during our dinners. It would be great if there were a platform where we could solicit contact information from the guests after our stays through the hotel’s platform. We could tell you the names of guests and the periods we stayed at the hotel, and you could notify those guests that we would like to have their information. It would create a nice Aguila community with a very interesting and charming group of people.

Thank you very much for a great honeymoon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

All over amazing stay, staff is very friendly and always happy to help , the room are very nice and big, the view is amazing if you do not like the nature and to be waken up by Tucans and amazing birds with an amazing view on the Pacific Ocean and prefer the city ,than avoid drake bay , it is a truly special place with friendly people with a sense of the value of the beauty of nature .. You will fell at the Aguila like a part of a familly , I have extended my stay over there and planing to come back et in two months !! A truly terrific different and delightful experience ...thank you Brad , Olman , Mike , Louis , Denis , Ian, and Anna the sweetest wonderful gardener of this little paradise -

• Stayed January 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This place is absolutely outstanding. rustic luxury. The Osa Peninsula is a truly amazing place and should not be overlooked on any trip to Costa Rica. We stayed here for four nights in July. The service was incredible, along with the food. Special thanks to Mike, one of the waiters for being very friendly. although all were great.The tours were also great. We went to Sirena ranger station in Corcovado and saw tons of wildlife, including an anteater, spider monkeys, and howler monkeys but it was a fantastic tour. Caño island snorkeling was extremely fun. It was a bit choppy that day, but we saw four sea turtles, which was amazing. one highlight of our trip to Aguila had to be the mangrove tour with Carlos. Carlos was very entertaining and we say more wildlife than we could have expected, including squirrel monkeys,snakes, howler monkeys, and EIGHT sloths! The rooms were very nice, and the view was more than we could have asked for. brad the owner was there the entire time and there is a real sense of family among staff and guests. My daughter wants to come back and work there! This was the highlight of our entire trip of Costa Rica, a truly memorable place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you like to really enjoy the environment and get real close to nature, then this is for you. It is tucked in the side of the jungle and is on a hill. There are many steps to the rooms which can be tiring but you will definitely get your exercise! Wildlife abounds! Just outside your door there are monkeys and Toucans to greet you. Pretty awesome. The beautiful Morpho butterflies flutter amongst the lush forest. No I am not quoting a travel guide. This is reality. Go and experience yourself!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aguila de Osa Inn? Share your experiences!