“Great place from which to explore the area” 5 of 5 stars

Aguila de Osa Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Drake Bay, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Great place from which to explore the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a charming and friendly lodge type hotel which is pleasantly small and where you get opportunity in the evenings to get to know your fellow guests. Plenty to do from walks, scuba diving, trips to the nature reserve, kayaking etc. This is quite a remote area but you can walk to the small village where, should you wish, there is a bar or two to break the monotony of meals/drinks at the resort restaurant/bar. Having said that the food was good as was the wine. The staff were really fantastic and we found this a wonderful, and probably the best place in Costa Rica, that we stayed. The rooms were good but with no air conditioning although we didn't find that to be a problem. I even managed a 10k run along the coast path through the forest. Head toward the beach and just keep following the trail. Very hot but very enjoyable! If you are looking for a base from which to explore this remote region you are unlikely to find better.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I love this place! We went to Drake Bay for our honeymoon, and could not have picked a better hotel than Aguila. The trip to Drake Bay, including the Nature Air flight in a small plane and the drive to Drake Bay where you take a boat to the hotel is itself an adventure. All of us tourist were in awe when the van that took us to town drove through rivers on the way. 

We met Bradd , the owner on the day we got there, and what a humble, gentle guy. My husband and I had stomach issues before we got to Costa Rica, and the fresh food, clean water, in addition to some medicine from Bradd’s cabinet helped us very much, and we recovered soon after.

There are many tours available, we booked them ahead of time as a package, and they were all great. We did snorkeling at Cano Island, I really wanted to dive but my husband wasn’t feeling well. The divers sad they saw whales, turtles and sting rays all in one dive, which is remarkable.

On our way to Corcovado National Park San Pedrillo Ranger Station we saw dolphins and whales from the boat. They were only meters away from us. Took great pictures! During the hike we saw three different kinds of monkeys, red macaws, a crocodile, beautiful blue butterflies and money other birds like great blue herons, pelicans and other I don’t remember the name of. Our guide carried a telescope which made it easy for us all to see the animals and take pictures through the telescope’s lenses.

We also took the Corcovado Canopy Tours. I was very scared at first, but we had a lot fun! It was a great experience. We took great videos/pictures with our Sony action cam. Thanks Manuel and Pedro for their support oh and the lady there who served us the pineapple. We really needed that at the end. 

I looked forward to dinner here every night. The food was delicious and fresh. The kitchen is open, and you see the cooks working there with fresh produce, it’s amazing. I read bad reviews on TripAdvisor about the kitchen, and staff. Definitely not true.

We dined with such great people from all over the world, an American violist from Germany with her Swedish husband, a French born Belgian woman from Montreal and her American husband, a young couple from San Francisco, another young couple from New York, a father and his two daughters from Australia, a woman from Austria were some of the ones I won’t forget.

We’ve been to other resorts close to nature in Mexico, but nature in Mexico does not compare to Costa Rica. This place was heavenly. We had a white faced monkey come visit us at the balcony while we were having our honeymoon champagne. Because of some previous experiences in other hotels we are sensitive to bugs/insects in the room. This place was super clean, the floors so shiny, I could see my own footprint.

I know after I finish this review I’ll remember all the things I forgot to write here. What a wonderful place this was, and to think I was there only a week ago!! I saw some reviews here complaining there are no docks, and you have to walk through the water up to your knees to get into the boats. Well, I loved that there are no docks and they kept the nature as is. If you are looking to hang out at a super commercial place with lounge chairs and hamburger stands on the beach with loud banging music, this is not the place to go.

Before I end my review here, special thanks go to Ian. He did mess with me first pretending not to speak English that I was surprised to see how fluent he is later on. He had been very helpful during our whole stay. Thanks Ian!

Also a suggestion for Bradd, we met such great people at your hotel, and became close during our dinners. It would be great if there were a platform where we could solicit contact information from the guests after our stays through the hotel’s platform. We could tell you the names of guests and the periods we stayed at the hotel, and you could notify those guests that we would like to have their information. It would create a nice Aguila community with a very interesting and charming group of people.

Thank you very much for a great honeymoon!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

All over amazing stay, staff is very friendly and always happy to help , the room are very nice and big, the view is amazing if you do not like the nature and to be waken up by Tucans and amazing birds with an amazing view on the Pacific Ocean and prefer the city ,than avoid drake bay , it is a truly special place with friendly people with a sense of the value of the beauty of nature .. You will fell at the Aguila like a part of a familly , I have extended my stay over there and planing to come back et in two months !! A truly terrific different and delightful experience ...thank you Brad , Olman , Mike , Louis , Denis , Ian, and Anna the sweetest wonderful gardener of this little paradise -

• Stayed January 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This place is absolutely outstanding. rustic luxury. The Osa Peninsula is a truly amazing place and should not be overlooked on any trip to Costa Rica. We stayed here for four nights in July. The service was incredible, along with the food. Special thanks to Mike, one of the waiters for being very friendly. although all were great.The tours were also great. We went to Sirena ranger station in Corcovado and saw tons of wildlife, including an anteater, spider monkeys, and howler monkeys but it was a fantastic tour. Caño island snorkeling was extremely fun. It was a bit choppy that day, but we saw four sea turtles, which was amazing. one highlight of our trip to Aguila had to be the mangrove tour with Carlos. Carlos was very entertaining and we say more wildlife than we could have expected, including squirrel monkeys,snakes, howler monkeys, and EIGHT sloths! The rooms were very nice, and the view was more than we could have asked for. brad the owner was there the entire time and there is a real sense of family among staff and guests. My daughter wants to come back and work there! This was the highlight of our entire trip of Costa Rica, a truly memorable place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you like to really enjoy the environment and get real close to nature, then this is for you. It is tucked in the side of the jungle and is on a hill. There are many steps to the rooms which can be tiring but you will definitely get your exercise! Wildlife abounds! Just outside your door there are monkeys and Toucans to greet you. Pretty awesome. The beautiful Morpho butterflies flutter amongst the lush forest. No I am not quoting a travel guide. This is reality. Go and experience yourself!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

staff was terrible, food nothing special. overall this place is overpriced for nothing really...location is nice but once u find a scorpion in your room u realize that it is not as important....
my advice is to avoid this place....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My family and I (wife, 16 year old daughter, 11 year old son) spent Thanksgiving week 2013 at Aguila de Osa. In short the place is fantastic. The rooms, the service, the food, the activities, the staff were all outstanding. From the moment we were greeted at the dock by Carlos until we begrudgingly departed 6 days later every one in our group had the time of their lives. We traveled with another family, some lifelong friends, that also had two children. They felt exactly as we did. Each day we had an excursion/activity planned. We kayaked, we took a boat tour of the mangroves, we snorkeled at Cano Island, and we fished. Each one was wonderful, especially the fishing (yes, there is some male bias involved). My buddy and I, and our two sons (11 and 13) fished with Davy and Dana on the Albatros for two full days. We stayed inshore since sails, tuna, dorado, and marlin were not our targets for this trip. We caught Roosters (tons of them), Baracuda, Jack Crevelle, loads of bonita for live bait, tuna, and some of the biggest, meanest, Cubera Snapper and Amberjack found anywhere (15 fish in the 30 to 60 lb range).. We had the ocean to ourselves, and El Capitan and the mate were the best fishing crew I have ever fished with anywhere, and my buddy and I have fished all over the world with a whole lot of captains and mates. Admittedly there were a few "San Gochos", but that's all part off the fun. Our crew was extremely friendly, fun loving, and really knew how to fish those waters. The chef cooked some of our catch every night for dinner. The fish along with all the entrees were suberb. The owner, Bradd, even brought in turkeys from San Jose for a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner with a tropical Costa Rican flair. I can't say enough about the staff. The wait staff, Luis, Mike, et al, were always friendly, attentive, and remembered everyone's name and their favorite drinks. They even stayed up with us several nights and gave our daughters dance lessons - Bradd joined in the festivities Thanksgiving night - we kept the monkeys up quite late that night! The rooms were very nice - comfortable, clean - no bugs!!!! I can't recommend this place highly enough. My wife and I and our friends like to visit different places in the world to explore and fish, but we will definitely be returning to Aguila de Osa - hopefully more than once!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aguila de Osa Inn? Share your experiences!