“AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Drake Bay
Boulder, Colorado
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We loved this hotel!!! Our entire Osa experience blew us away: from getting to the hotel (HIGHLY recommend flying into Palomar Sur and taking the boat ride through the Mangroves, out into the ocean and finally dropped off the hotel dock. It was an incredible way to start our trip. We traveled with our girls (ages 10 and 8) and they loved every second. The food was amazing, kayaking up the little river everyday (with crocodiles, monkeys, iguanas and macaws) was one of our highlights. Highly recommend the Mangrove Tour. It's a great way to see a ton of animals (and especially great tour with kids). You will love this place!

Room Tip: Corner room was amazing! Great breeze, hammock and great views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I visited the Osa Peninsula and stayed at Aguila with my sister last December and it was wonderful. Welcoming staff, great food. It certainly has a very different vibe from the more touristy areas like Arenal so don't expect television or air conditioning but most go to see Corcovado Park anyway. The town nearby doesn't have much but there's so much nature to see that it'll keep your days busy. I highly recommend the mangrove tour (about $100-120/person if I remember correctly) where we saw some amazing wildlife; our guide was Randall who was excellent from nearby Paloma Lodge but I'm pretty sure all the guides there are great; aside from the guide we had going horse back riding, many of them are naturalists and are very competent in their area of expertise. I would skip the horseback riding although if you are interested in seeing the town in Drake, it's a great way to do that. If you are going to Corcovado, I recommend going to La Sirena; we saw a tapir up close when we went there (but I did hear that the waterfall at the other destination in the park was quite beautiful). If you are going to La Sirena, the boat ride is long (~45min) and rough so if you don't like a bumpy ride, best to choose the other location.

Room Tip: Request a side room for more windows.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Millington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our experience at Aguila was most outstanding. The resort offers a perfect mixture of relaxation and adventure. We endulged in Aguila's tropical splendour for one week. In that time we hiked, swam, snorkeled, fished, saw (often up very close) whales, purposes, crocodiles, sea tutles, wild pig, monkeys, iguana, parrots, scarlet mackaw and even a local soccer game. The food was delicious and more than ample for even hearty eaters. Every night we chose the fish of the day. The recipe with the coconut curry sauce was my favorite. In addtition there is a choice of meat or pasta dishes.The wine list was commendable and the tropical drinks were most refreshing after a hard day of play or rest!! Our room (number 11) was very private with a spacious hammock\porch area that had an amazing view of Drakes Bay and the ocean. The staff could not have been any more attentive to every one of our needs. Brad, the owner meandered among the guests playing the perfect host while the general manager, Olman, and staff kept a close eye that everyone was experiencing the pura vida!. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The higher numbered rooms have a better view. Room # 11 is the very private
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed here late July 2012- wife, and 2 kids -boys 10 and 12...

1) We had Costa Rica Vacations book it as part of a 2 week trip. we stayed here 3 nights- I would have done 4.. but I would book directly with the resort and get excursions booked into the trip..you will save $$$....
2)Definitely fly into Drake Bay and not into Palma Sur... CRV made a big mistake in booking me into Palma Sur which took an hour by boat and 20 minuet car ride to get to resort versus 10 minuets from Drake Bay.
3) Kids loved Deep Sea fishing- caught big wahoo and tuna. Paid $500 for 7-130 trip which included snorkeling...
4) We did the park hike.. guide was very good- in fact Brad the owner joined...it was a kool boat ride to get there and we saw dolphins and even a whale... be aware-- the excursion was a pretty penny and thus try to get it booked into your package...
5) Kayaking was great-and they are free and went into the ocean and the canal...
6) beach was awesome-- great wild waves- kids loved it-- it is a 15 minuet walk through heavy leafy forest so make sure you get there by 4 PM etc.. to give yourself time. by 6 PM its pitchblack walk home
7) Food was amazing- even though main chef was on vacation- they even cooked our tuna and wahoo and served it to everyone as appetizers...
8) the group eating style was great-- we became good friends with our tablemates... will even visit them in New Orleans in a few months!!

We stayed in the nices unit- 14- at top of hill- a free upgrade-- it was very large and comfortable...

Overall its not cheap to get to with 4 air tickets around 900-1000 but the resort is great-- management is very nice and really cares- in fact Brad was there the whole time with his brothers family and its clear he really cares about the place...

Barry

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was our second stay to the Aguila de Osa Inn and our 3rd visit to the area. The first visit we stayed at Aguila and were surprised by the quality of hotel and service we received. Especially since it is an adventure in itself getting there. Once we actually stepped foot into the lodge check in was quick and we were escorted to our suite. While we were led to our room at the top of the hill " a work out in itself" I looked into the other rooms while they were being cleaned and would have been happy in any of the rooms. But I would say that being so high up does have its advantages, especially in the evenings with the ocean breeze makes sleeping a lot more comfortable. Our second visit was at the lodge across from the Aguila de Osa also a nice lodge but found the service and grounds to be equally beautiful and Aguila prices are cheaper allowing us to stretch our money more in the country and take multiple trips into the Serena ranger station, fishing, mangrove tour etc. being the reason why you would visit the area. Our second visit here was just as good and hope to be back real soon..

Room Tip: The higher the room the more ocean breeze you can feel in the evenings.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

If your are looking for relaxation and real "pura vida" Aguila de Osa is the place to visit. The food is fresh and well prepared, the rooms are spacious and confortable. One of the most beautiful unspoiled places I've ever visited.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I recently returned from a nine day stay at the Aguila de Osa Inn. This was my fifth trip to the Osa Peninsula and my fifth stay at Aguila de Osa Inn in as many years. Why do I keep going? Two reasons. Number one, the Osa Peninsula may be one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been to and if you have any interest in birds, mammals and reptiles, there is not another place that I can think of that has as much diversity as the Osa. Number two is the hotel and the staff.
My wife and I first visited the Aguila in 2007 and fell in love with the place. Before visiting we had previously been to numerous places including Tahiti, Honduras, Belize, Palau, Chuuk (Truk), Pohnpei, Yap, Fiji, Ecuador, Guatemala and many European countries. I have enjoyed all of the places that we have been, but none more so than the Aguila de Osa Inn. This place is the perfect mix of adventure and relaxation. You can head off bright and early on one of the many adventures offered through the hotel and return in time to spend a nice afternoon relaxing in a hammock with a good book.
In the many visits that I have made, I have become quite good friends with a number of the staff members, none so more than Carlos. Carlos is the resident ornithologist and has as vast knowledge of the birds, animals and reptiles that can be found on the Osa. Not only does he know almost every bird by sight, but he also knows most of them by their call. I have spent countless hours and covered many a mile with Carlos looking for different birds and animals. At last count, Carlos and I have found and photographed over 160 different species of birds and each year Carlos comes up with a new adventure to find a bird that has previously gone unseen. We have yet to fail to find what we set out for. The best thing about Carlos is not his knowledge, it is his enthusiasm and excitement when we come across one of the hard to find birds, frogs, snakes or other animals. It’s infectious. I would find it impossible to believe that you could go out with Carlos on a tour and not be thrilled with the results. If you have never been bird watching, you should try it at least once with Carols, and you very well might find a passion for it like I have. One word or caution, if you truly want to experience the variety of birds that Carlos can find, you should expect to leave before sunrise and that may be 0500. (Don’t worry, Carlos will have coffee waiting for you when you come down from your room!)
There are a lot of other staff members at the hotel that bring the same enthusiasm to their jobs that Carlos brings. Dixon, the head chef, prepares some of the best meals that you can ask for and the dishes that he makes contain locally sourced ingredients, many of which come from the hotels onsite organic garden. This year I finally managed to talk Dixon into making key lime pie for desert. Previous attempts had been unsuccessful because Dixon was not satisfied with the quality of the fruit available and he was not willing to compromise on quality. This year he was able to get really good fruit and I have to say, his key lime pie may have been one of the best that I have had.
One of the best tours offered through the hotel is the Mangrove Tour. This is a four to five hour boat tour through the mangrove forest with a stop in Sierpe for lunch. There is so much cool stuff to see and you never even have to get out of the boat. Carlos is the cruise director and Dennis is the Captain. Dennis has the unique ability to maneuver the boat into places that you would never think possible or order to get you a great view of what he and Carlos find along the way. On my most recent trip, I got to know Dennis and discovered that one of his favorite past times is fishing around the hotel and in Drake Bay. I happened to mention to him that it sounded like fun and one afternoon when he finished work, he offered to take me out with him. While we did not catch anything, we sure had a good time trying. It is kind of people that make this place so special. Dennis was willing to spend his own personal time taking me fishing just because I mentioned that it looked like fun. Things like this are an everyday occurrence at the hotel and it always seems that staff is going out of their way to make sure that your stay is the best it can be. This is the reason that I keep going back and will surly go again. I would unequivocally recommend the Aguila de Osa Inn to anybody with even the slightest since of adventure.

Room Tip: Love Room 11
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Aguila de Osa Inn? Share your experiences!