“Excellent on all counts!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pirate Cove

You added Pirate Cove to your Saves list
Pirate Cove
2.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Next to the Drake Bay River, Drake Bay, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Excellent on all counts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

In June 2014, I was a chaperone with two others of 10 Boy Scouts that traveled to Drake Bay, Costa Rica from Cincinnati, OH for a high adventure trip. Pirate Cove helped us tremendously prior to the trip in our planning of how to get there, activities to do and giving us a comfort level where we felt the scouts would have a great time ... everything came through beyond my expectations. The staff at Pirate Cove was very professional, willing to work with the scouts and helped us in anyway they could. The Pirate Cove facility, activities, staff and managment are highly recommended. I have an extreme desire to visit again on my own or with the scout troop again.

In addition to the diverse wildlife, sunsets are outstanding everyday!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Seville, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We really enjoyed our 4-night stay at this lodge.

The staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. At our arrival we said we would like to go horse riding on the 3rd day. On the second day, we changed our mind and decided we preferred to visit the Corcovado National Park instead because some other people staying at the lodge had liked it so much. We weren't aware that the horses had to be brought over and this had already been done, but despite this the staff made no objection to changing our plans. We were thankful for their flexibility !!

The diving was great, we dove 2 days in a row and enjoyed both days as much!

Meals were delicous although not cheap (there are delicious cookies available all day as well as tea and coffee, the rooms were prefect, and we only regretted not having more time to add the night tour, the horse riding, more diving and a bird watching tour to the stay !! A great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We have now been to Costa Rica three times and to Pirate Cove three times. It's that good. We wrestled (on the second and third trip) with the decision of whether to go to a novel area of CR for the second half of our trip or to return to Drake Bay and Pirate Cove. Each time, we've opted to go back and have never regretted it. We enjoy the staff so much - from one of the owners (Suzanne, who has taught us a lot about CR), to the managers (Nelson is the kindest and most earnest person perhaps I've ever met!), right on down to the security/maintenance guy (Primo is SO sweet and engaging even though he speaks little English and I speak little Spanish). We have no complaints.

Each visit, we've enjoyed meeting other travelers at the meals served on a large and lovely wooden, covered porch. I love walking to my cabin and having iguanas flit away at the sound of me. I love finding birds hiding in the trees in the river below the cabins. The scarlet macaws take my breath away and I've even gotten accustomed to seeing crocodiles with panic. The first trip we made here, we went on a trip to Corcovado with a guide arranged by Pirate Cove and we saw a wild PUMA! Talk about a highlight!

We're not big tour people, so each time, we've done one tour during our stay. The Corcovado trip is memorable, and the snorkeling trip was astoundingly beautiful. Our last trip, we went horseback riding with Suzanna's horses, which included a young horse that trailed happily behind us. The tour ended with us holding on tight while the horses galloped down the beach to the hotel.

Last, but definitely NOT least is the food. It is incredible! Every meal is good, but the dinners are particularly worth noting. And there's lots of it - you will not go hungry at Pirate Cove. (BTW, while you cannot drink the water in your cabin's bathroom, there is fresh and drinkable water available at all times and at not cost.)

Oh, one more thing: this hotel impresses me with their true commitment to the environment. They don't force it down your throat, but they let you know what you can do to minimize your impact on the environment such as not having them wash your sheets and towels every day.

Room Tip: We think - having stayed in several of the cabins during our three trips, that the best cabins are t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

What a great place we found, as we are driving through the Americas, we camped on the beach in front of the Hotel, they let us use the facilities for a reasonable fee and we got the extra security of having the hotel guard do his rounds around our truck as well... Perfect beach setting, great nature seekers paradise away from it all!!! Do go!!! Hope this review was helpful!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose-Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is a unique experience...Booth the Lodge and the Drake Bay area. But first you must be clear of what to expect. The Pirate Cove is a lovely lodge, the rooms are clean, comfortable, and the cabins are so nice, with amazing beach views...But this is a lodge!! In a middle of nowhere...It is not a Ritz Carlton...But that is precisely the beauty of it!!....Suzanne Pagano is probably the must experience diver in the area, and its crew as well. So for those how goes to Drake looking for the best Dives...This is the place to be!! As well as for those who just want to snorkel in Caño Island. Getting back to Suzanne, she is warm and incredible nice. She makes all fill in Home...Excellent meals!! No menu at all...You just get amazed by the food...Fresh fish, Beef Stroganoff to die for...In my case, they accomplished all my need, If I asked for a bit more...No problem...Asked for some rice, and beans..No problem...Vegetarian...No worries...Ah and the bread...The bread!! Homemade and fresh, made every day!! Always fresh browed coffee with cakes any time....No TV, no phones, no Barman on duty to make your Piña Coladas, after 9 PM everybody in bed..But come on...You are in the Jungle!! Besides after touring the magnificent wonders of the area such as Corcovado Park, Isla del Caño, after hiking or diving for hours...All you need is a clean bead, a friendly staff...And a delicious hot meal !!..I decided to stay in an A/C room...I got cool, in exchange for the view...But you can choose!!....Yes the walls are thin, you might hear your neighbor walking...But how can you build a concrete Bunker in that jungle? And even if you can...Why destroying the area?
The staff is friendly; I even opened the kitchen door,many times, to see what is for the next meal...
In few words...You should investigate, and to do an Internet search in advance, so you are aware of the nature of this wet an isolated part of the Costarican Jungle and its conditions. Then be prepared for a lodge experience and for adventure...If adventure is what you are looking for...This is the place to be!!

Room Tip: It is real Hot...So, I choose an A/C room, but no balcony, nor nice view...I had no problem at all...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I almost don't want to write this review, as I would like to keep Pirate Cove a secret... :-)

I stayed for about a week in February 2014 (solo female traveler), and cannot say enough positive things about the accommodations, food, setting, area, and especially the Pirate Cove staff. Nelson and Suzanne were really welcoming as soon as I arrived, and were extremely friendly and helpful throughout my stay. The kitchen staff were awesome, made amazing meals and kept me well-fed, happy and energized for my daily excursions. Gustavo was perhaps the most knowledgeable and inspiring nature/wildlife guide I have ever met...I am a wildlife biologist and it was truly a pleasure to be introduced to the many wild wonders of the Osa Peninsula for the first time though his expert eyes. I fell madly in love with the region, and can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is our 9th trip to Costa Rica, and our 5th to the Osa. Having stayed at Pirate Cove Hotel 4 other trips, we were delighted to see the quality of this fine hotel surpass our previous trips. Never would we have thought it could get any better. The facilities are kept immaculate, sure there are bugs-we are the jungle folks but not in our rooms unless they fly in the door when you go in or out.... the food is outstanding, varied menus , different fruit juices each meal, and so filling after a busy day of exploring. And the coffee- 6AM until 8PM...Excellent!!!! We do not speak Spanish, and we have never found a language barrier with any of the staff, guides, boat captains, obviously since we choose to return over and over, and we have enjoyed many good FUNNY conversations regarding their home(Drake Bay), the animals, and neat places to explore on our own. They will do anything to help and make their guests time enjoyable. One of the owners is available on site and the others reachable by phone if needed and we have seen them respond to several emergencies immediately and with much professionalism. The entire facility and staff are terrific. We will be returning in November with our family-children and grandchildren without any hesitation on our parts. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Bungalows and cabins have porches with views of Bay. Several new AC rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Pirate Cove? Share your experiences!