“Exceeds all expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Exceeds all expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We just returned from La Paloma Lodge to celebrate our birthdays. The trip was a gift to us. What a delight! EVERYTHING was beautiful, the staff was courteous and attentive, and we had the finest tour guide we've ever had in 12 years of living in Costa Rica. After flying into Drake Bay, (a great adventure in itself), we were met by a courteous driver who drove us to the beach where we entered a boat. From there, we excitedly entered the property of La Paloma. Dinia was there to welcome us warmly while our bags were whisked away by staff personnel. She ushered us into the dining room (what a view!) where there was a spread of perfectly ripened tropical fruits, mora (blackberry juice), homemade muffins and the best coffee you can drink. We were able to relax immediately. What a treat. She explained all about the lodge and was nearby during our entire stay to answer questions and provide advise. Dinner was fantastic. I had fresh fish at every meal except breakfast. The fish chef's salad was the best ever, and the salad dressing, homemade breads, muffins are all amazing. Everything was prepared in a healthy, delicious way, and they asked about our food preferences. Since my husband has an allergy to garlic, that was a huge blessing. Each meal, the server presented his food reminding us that it did not have any garlic.... and it was still delicious without the garlic. Our room was immaculate and gorgeous. Nicest bathroom and shower we've seen here, deck with balcony, chairs and hammock, exotic birds and monkeys right there, scarlet macaws flying overhead...unbelievable. I loved how they are super "green" and were that way before it was cool. They are committed to the environment and the community. People in town and the staff love the owners of 25+ years, who have an amazing story you can read about. Randall, our guide, grew up in the area, moved to the USA for a time and returned to work for them. He's the best guide ever. We loved the hike in the Corcovado Park and enjoyed all the time we spent with him, understanding the wildlife and Osa better. He is a wealth of information and knowledge. I cannot say enough good things about this place. This is truly a Lodge where the theme is "para servirle" (here to serve you). This is one place I want to return and bring family and friends. It's a treasure!

Room Tip: We enjoyed room B, which had A/C. We didn't use it much, but it was nice after the long hike.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

La Paloma is my spectacular! The dining lodge and private ranchos are gorgeous. The surroundings, garden, rain forest, wildlife and beach off fabulous views. The staff takes perfect care of all of your needs: relaxed but awesome dining, immaculate accommodations, excursion coordination and they even have a drying room for your wet shoes. Do not miss this if you go to Costa Rica. It was my favorite part and I will return.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the wi-fi - they have it in the dining lodge.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed at La Paloma Lodge for 5 days in June 2014 and it was simply wonderful!
We loved it all: the very tasty food, the attentionate and kind staff, the fun excursions with a great guide, the amazing scenery, the sound sustainability approach.
We definitely recommend La Paloma Lodge for all those who are looking for a romantic/resting get away where you will be taken care of, while enjoying quietness and the splendid nature of the Osa Peninsula.
We were very lucky to stay in one of the ranchos, which was beautiful and spacious. The bed was super comfortable and the views from the deck just splendid.
A warm thank you again to La Paloma Lodge! Places like yours are truly unique and precious.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
North Wales, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The only negative you'll read on this review, is that I could only give this resort 5 stars - this resort is the best place I have ever stayed. We were blown away by the location, the service, the food, the views, the wildlife. We had driven to Drake Bay, so they let us know where to park our car in town, then picked us up by boat. Once we arrived, we were given a light snack and drinks, and were greeted by two monkeys that were swinging in the trees and looking around the resort. Our room was huge - it had a super comfortable king size bed, large bathroom, sitting area, air conditioning and an amazing view. The balcony was wonderful, I loved laying in the hammock, reading and watching the birds. We went to the beach the first full day we were there, which was really private and beautiful. When we went to the pool, there was a sloth in the tree. The food was great, the service outstanding, everything was spotless. We were very lucky as there was only one other family there while we were there, so the resort just felt so private. I can't speak to how the resort would feel or what you would experience if there were more people around. For us, we saw as much, if not more, wildlife here as we did on our tour of Corvado Park - we even heard Howler monkeys in the mornings and saw crocodiles in the river.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We loved La Paloma! We stayed here for three nights - a family of four in Bungalow #1. We loved the rustic but perfectly accommodating rooms. Even though it was June we didn't miss the A/C. The property is small and private so if feels like your own little oasis. Some of the best food we had in Costa Rica was here, even our sometimes picky kids loved it. The organized trips were great - we did Corcovado and the Mangrove Tour. Our guide Randall was wonderful. We saw lots of animals and learned so much about Costa Rica. Our son had an earache and La Paloma made sure that we got the medicine we needed before we flew home. We didn't have to worry or plan anything while we were here. It was a true vacation.

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow. The views are outstanding. And you might wake up to a monkey opening a coconut f...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I agree with all the positive things mentioned in previous reviews but wanted to add my experience as a single mom with a 7 year old boy. La Paloma is so personal and attentive that my son felt his needs were met for speed (Cano boat tour with playful dolphins), animal adventure (monkeys and hermit crabs on the beach), and plain food (pancakes and steak). But I also felt my needs were met. Within the first day, I felt relaxed (awesome massage), nourished ( awesome ceviche!), and intellectually stimulated (awesome naturalist tours). Seeing my son so content while chilling on a hammock was just what this stressed mom needed. We had an amazing bonding time, and my son asked to go back as soon as possible. I agree.

Room Tip: Room 1 has stunning ocean views on 3 sides. No a/c but we didn't mind with breezes and ceiling...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My only regret about staying at La Paloma is that we didn't stay longer! My husband and I decided to visit Drake Bay after talking to some friends who stayed elsewhere, and because of their trip we thought 3 nights would be enough. I easily could have done another night and day!

Rooms: they have a set of rooms right next to the main lodge where you eat/meet up for tours. We didn't stay in those so I can't speak about them except to say that those have A/C. My husband and I stayed in one of the cabins (#6) and while we loved it, we both agreed we wouldn't recommend it to everyone. The cabins aren't completely sealed off, so if you aren't one to accept a bug or two in your room then La Paloma isn't for you. It didn't bother us at all, but if a moth and a gecko will freak you out then stay in one of the rooms. Our cabin had a queen size bed, twin size bed, and two lounge chairs with ottomans, so it could easily sleep three. The best part of the cabin, though, was the deck! Between activities, we'd sit on our deck or lay in the hammock and stare off into the ocean. A couple of times we spotted some wildlife (monkeys, toucans), but mostly we'd just read.

Food: all food is included in your stay, and in spite of being a very pick eater (which I'm not proud of!), I enjoyed everything I had. For every meal there are two options (seemed it was usually a chicken and a fish option for dinner; pancakes or french toast and some egg dish for breakfast) and a veggie option as well. Dinners consisted of a soup/salad, main course, dessert, and glass of wine. When you're on an excursion they pack a lunch for you which was full of fresh fruit, all the makings of a delicious sandwich or salad, and dessert. Upon returning from your morning activity, snacks and fresh juices would be waiting for you in the main lodge.

Staff: all the employees were courteous and friendly. Can't say enough great things about them! Whether it was the person leading an excursion (we did snorkeling at Cano Island and the Corcovado Park hike) or a waiter, La Paloma's employees are all so helpful and pleasant to be around. I can't even single one person out because everyone is exceptional at their job.

Other: the lodge has a nice pool to lounge by, and the beach was just a five minute walk from my cabin via a wooded trail. You can (and should!) kayak around the property on your own with their kayaks. They offer massages, which I don't think most people took advantage of. I had a massage, and she was amazing. She came to my cabin, so I enjoyed the sounds of the ocean during my massage and she did a wonderful job finding the knots in my back and really taking the time to work them out. (It was also only $60 for 90 minutes, so really I should have had a massage every day!)

Overall my husband and I agree that La Paloma was the highlight of our trip to Costa Rica. We would return without hesitation, but we would only recommend it to our friends who enjoy being outdoors and can handle a bug or two.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#2 of 8 in Drake Bay
5.0 of 5 stars 54 reviews

Been to La Paloma Lodge? Share your experiences!