We just got back from Costa Rica, and La Paloma was the high point of our vacation. It was worth the high pricetag, especially when you take into account the activities, transportation and all 3 meals are included. The service is superb, the location beautiful and the rooms lovely. The views from the rooms are unbeatable. There is a lovely little beach (great for body surfing, absolutely deserted) a short hike away. This is not a destination for those who want western comforts. There is no AC (we chose it in part because of this - no noisy electricity at night). It cools at night so sleep is comfortable, but it is hot and sweaty during the day. You will encounter bugs but they are more interesting than pesky. There are no screens, which I was concerned about, but this was NOT a problem as biting insects were almost absent (a few ants, very few mosquitoes - I stopped using repellant after a day or 2). The sound of the surf at night, gazing over the ocean from the hammock, birdwatching from everywhere - all great. The kayaking (free) was great - there isn't a very long river you can go up, but lots to see and good for beginners with a few (optional) run rapids. The mangrove tour was great - a little scary going through the surf to get to and from the river, but great. It is a hot, sweaty location and we had lots of rain (we went during the rainy season so we had anticipated this), but every day was also partially clear so we were able to do all activities. The pool is small but perfect for cooling off in the sweaty afternoon. Several of us enjoyed a great massage (cheap!). Meals were consistently very fresh and quite good. They happily prepared the fish we caught (sashimi, grilled, sushi). Everyone was pleasant and went way out of their way to make sure we had a good time. We very much hope to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have outstanding views of Drake Bay and the Pacific Ocean from our Lodge. Our standard rooms are large and include a private bath and an ocean view balcony. Our ranchos are one and two-story private cabins that also offer balconies with stunning ocean views. They hold up to 6 people and are very spacious. Some are equipped with a bathroom on both the upper and lower level, and are suitable for families or two couples traveling together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo and Expedia so you can book your La Paloma Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Paloma Hotel Drake Bay
- La Paloma Drake Bay
- La Paloma Lodge Costa Rica/Drake Bay