Spectacular place. Our family of 4 spent 2 weeks in CR at several places we liked very well. But if you were to come to only one place this should probably be it. This is an incredible spot with very limited access. Just riding the boats out to the tours is lovely. The staff/service is first-rate in every way. Cabins are basic but nice and feel very private and very much in the middle of the wild, with great views. Very few bug incursions despite being open air, even with lights on. Comfortable at night even though the days were hot.
Food is absolutely great, done with expertise and a modern light touch. I wish I could eat all my meals there. I'm hungry just remembering.
Bug Lady tour is a must -- you can't imagine how interesting this is for all ages. Corcovado tour was a little disappointing -- very nice guide (LP has regular guides for all their tours), but we did not see a lot of wildlife and the volume of tourism there was higher than I expected. We saw much wildlife more just hanging around La Paloma, where it seemed there were far fewer people per acre. Next time I might opt to go to the less accessible ranger station. Cano Island water visibility was too low for snorkeling, so we took the mangrove tour instead and saw a lot -- toucan, 3 types of monkey, caiman, many macaws, ... . Lovely beach (but do ask where the rocks are hidden).
I wish all of CR were as well preserved as Drake Bay is. I hope, probably naively, that it will stay that way. For now it is spectacular, and La Paloma is the perfect way to experience it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have outstanding views of Drake Bay and the Pacific Ocean from our Lodge. Our standard rooms are large and include a private bath and an ocean view balcony. Our ranchos are one and two-story private cabins that also offer balconies with stunning ocean views. They hold up to 6 people and are very spacious. Some are equipped with a bathroom on both the upper and lower level, and are suitable for families or two couples traveling together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Venere so you can book your La Paloma Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Paloma Hotel Drake Bay
- La Paloma Drake Bay
- La Paloma Lodge Costa Rica/Drake Bay