“This is paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Paloma Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Drake Bay
La Paloma Lodge
Drake Bay, Costa Rica, Drake Bay, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Drake Bay
San Jose, California
“This is paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I loved my week at la Paloma. The view was beautiful, the staff was excellent, and the wildlife was abundant. I recommend this to anyone. I loved the Corcovado Sirena trip, and the snorkeling was quite beautiful. There were thousands of fish.

Room Tip: The bungalow is a good walk from the eating area, but great views..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
St. Augustine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is such a beautiful place! I can't say enough about this experience. The surroundings are pristine. All of our adventures were wonderful. I would say the mangrove tour and scuba diving were my favorite. The staff were very accomidating. The rooms were wonderful and I loved the monkies sneaking in. Just hide your valuables from them!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Osa Peninsula is an amazing place and La Paloma is the ideal way to experience it. The lodge fits in with the surroundings perfectly, providing spacious cabins with beautiful views of the jungle, the ocean, and the diverse wildlife of the area which can often be seen right outside your doors and windows. The staff is friendly and treats each group of visitors like guests in their own home. You are definitely not just a room number here - the staff learns your names before your arrival and clearly takes pride in learning about each group's daily activities and particular interests. The tours arranged through the lodge are fabulous, with excellent guides taking small groups to the various incredible locations in and around the Corcovado national park. The snorkeling at Cano island is spectacular with warm, crystal clear water providing incredible views of everything from sea turtles to rays to a myriad of colorful reef fish. And the night walk with 'bug lady' Tracie and Giancarlo shows guests a side of the rainforest life that is less often appreciated but is an absolute must-see for nature enthusiasts. All in all, La Paloma provided us with an unforgettable experience in one of the most spectacular destinations the country has to offer. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Unforgettable. Great rooms, super friendly service and fascinating tours.
Don't miss the mangrove tour or Corcovado park . Randall is amazing. We logged 45 birds, two crocs, a cayman, big boa constrictor and all four monkeys.We learned much about biology, pharma and zoology.
Definitely do the night walk with Tracie and John - bugs, spiders and snakes.
Access by plane, van,boat and finally the Limousine up the hill makes for a wonderful adventure.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

La Paloma is perfect and quite frankly worth every penny. The grounds are beautiful with lots of flowers and great views of the ocean. The bungalows are nice, clean and spacious. There is a short, but nice walk to the beach (which is great and has pretty good waves). There is also a small pool, which is a great place to hang out after a day of hiking in the rainforest! There are also many opportunities to see wild life right on the property...we saw several monkeys as well as a sloth, boa and crocodile. The staff is wonderful...extremely pleasant and helpful. The food is excellent and we actually really enjoyed the group dinners with the other tourists (I was a little nervous about those at first). As for the activities, we hiked to San Pedrillo and Sirena and also went snorkeling at Cano Island. Everything was great, including the guides. The only thing that I would have done differently would have been to skip Sirena (one hike is sufficient) and do the Mangrove tour instead (which all of the other guests raved about). We also went horseback riding with Wilbur and it was an absolute blast. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in rancho #5...it was great and pretty close to the beach path.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tahoe City, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

While there is a small airport in Drake Bay, accessible from San Jose, we were picked up by boat in Sierpe. A smooth ride down the river, a wave dash at the bar at its mouth, a jaunt across Drake Bay and you're delivered at La Paloma's sheltered bay. You walk up the path to the lodge and it's lush grounds and there you are in paradise. Phenomenal views of the ocean from the Ranchos, wildlife everywhere, and a tasty Dirty Banana rum punch waiting for you at the bar, mixed by the man (!), Tebbs. He and the rest of the staff are all incredibly helpful and friendly, all the way from the owners to the grounds staff. In the rooms you can stare out of the airy windows in the shower at the rainforest around you as you wash off any grime from the day's adventures in preparation for your in-room massage before your amazingly fresh dinner. Not too bad, I'd say. My days there were one of the best travel experiences I've had.

Room Tip: Rancho 1 had more wildlife climbing or flying by in the trees just beyond the balcony than I saw on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lanark Village
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Wow....La Paloma is right smack in the middle of an incredibly exotic setting, where guests become close neighbors to monkeys, sloths, arboreal anteaters, brilliant butterflies, toucans and hundreds of bird species. I mean you're nestled right IN the rain forest but you are provided with lovely flagstone pathways all around the premises.You might see the biggest damn toad you've ever seen in your life just walking down to the dining hall. There's a fantastic view from your "rancho", easy access to the beautiful beach; there is some strong undertow to be wary of. The forest trail into "town" is itself an amazing adventure- for sure an ancient path, still well- travelled by locals, that takes you across a slightly swinging bridge, past HUGE bamboo...gorgeous tropical flowers.........if you don't go on any of the scheduled tours that are offered, at least take that 30-40 minute walk into town.

The staff is totally charming and accomodating, providing beautiful sarongs to wear, so every one can feel like they're in an old Tarzan movie ( or Tondelayo, if you're old enough to remember Hedy Lamarr).
Every meal I had was unique and delicious - One could choose between two entrees, and I was actually pleased to not have a lengthy menu - it felt more like I was a dinner guest at someone's home...someone who was an excellent cook! The Teriyaki Tuna was surprisingly the best I've ever had -PERFECTLY cooked - . I don't eat beef or chicken so I was very pleased with all the seafood dishes - an amazing fish chowder, also a great eggplant parmesan...all dishes artistically garnished - (that shows the love) and very imaginative desserts. ( Can't for the life of me figure why that other review said food was horrible) Great spreads of tropical fruits and good fruit juices. I felt they were good portions ( no American style super -sizing). It was so lovely to eat with the other guests and meet folks from different parts of the world. I always had plenty to eat and I had a good appetite every nite after all the adventurous hiking, snorkeling, nature viewing, kayaking, swimming at a water fall, and horse back riding.

Truly amazing opportunities, these hikes into the primordial jungle, and full -on fun on the boat rides. Great boat captains and wonderful guides. Some folks saw whales and a puma on their tours ...we saw a coati mundi, all of the local monkey species, crocodiles, iguanas, amazing birds, beautiful colorful fish, lizards, one snake, leaf cutting ants parading along the massive tree roots....It's unpredictable WHAT you will see , but you are definitely going to see a LOT of exotic wildlife. It was a thrilling privilege to go on the bug tour with Tracie and John, where we saw a beautiful ant eater in a tree, totally bizarre insects, pulled webbing right out of a spider, and heard some of the most amazing scientific information about high-potential cures for diseases being found in venoms and poisons of the local insects and plant life. Oh, and there was that intelligent fungus. Mind-blowing.

I would say the hardest part of the entire stay was that killer hill from the dock to the lodge that you climbed every day...(my calves were screaming..but I sure got in shape during our brief 4 day stay)

I certainly hope to return and can't thank the staff enough for getting us on all the tours we wanted and giving us a beautiful taste of Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We were in # 7, closest to beach access - but a longer walk to dining hall
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Paloma Lodge? Share your experiences!