Actual travel date: June 2011 (I couldn't choose that far back so I am going to just tell you here!). I traveled to La Paloma in Drake Bay with my family and while getting there was quite an adventure (plane to jeep to boat to tractor), it was totally worth it. This was probably the most amazing hotel/travel experience of my life; I am literally saving money to go back. It is not cheap but it is worth every penny. The lodges (raised cabins on stilts) are incredible... all wood with beautiful ocean and rainforest views. While they are not air conditioned, there are these slits between the top of the wall and the roof that allow in a great breeze and ceiling fans so you are never hot. The top of the shower wall is open so you can look outside while you shower and even see MONKEYS (awesome!). The staff is welcome and warm and the family style meals allow you to really bond with other guests in a really fun, summer camp kind of way. The food is, in a word, incredible. Local produce and fresh caught fish are complemented with delicious juices and fruits. Whoever their chef is, I wish he was mine! We were attracted to the eco-focus of the resort and they do a great job at being eco-friendly while still making your experience luxurious - American resorts should learn from them (you CAN help the environment and still be five-star!). While we were there we explored the forests on foot, shopped with the local merchants that the resort brought to the lodge (I love that they help support the locals by allowing them to sell their handmade items there), went horsebacking riding on the beach and in the mountains (incredible! An experience I will never forget), went snorkeling and hung out on the beach. Oh, and watched the monkeys swing past our cabin, screeching and swooping through the trees. As I write this, I wish I were back there. If you are on the fence or sorting through different places to stay, stop your search: this resort will exceed all of your expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have outstanding views of Drake Bay and the Pacific Ocean from our Lodge. Our standard rooms are large and include a private bath and an ocean view balcony. Our ranchos are one and two-story private cabins that also offer balconies with stunning ocean views. They hold up to 6 people and are very spacious. Some are equipped with a bathroom on both the upper and lower level, and are suitable for families or two couples traveling together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Tingo and Travelocity so you can book your La Paloma Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Paloma Hotel Drake Bay
- La Paloma Drake Bay
- La Paloma Lodge Costa Rica/Drake Bay