We recently spent five nights at La Paloma with our two boys, 7 and 12. A highlight was snorkeling at Isla del Cano where we saw Hawksbill turtles, a school of barracuda and a white-tipped reef shark. We also got a bit of a lash from a jellyfish which put my children off for a second snorkeling encounter but it feels like a brush with a stinging nettle and the pain disappears. It is just a bit alarming when it happens. Another absolutely wonderful experience was walking in the Corcovado National Park with Randal, La Paloma's guide. He was delightful with the children and extremely knowledgable. We also did a tour to the mangroves which was beautifully peaceful. An alarming piece of news Randal shared was the influence of foreign interests in Corcovado with the Chinese and the Costa Rican government joining forces to build a dam which will have a huge influence on the Oso Peninsula and the completely nonsensical idea of a further international airport in the rainforest. When you travel through the waterways or experience the walk in the park and the harmony and serenity that exists there, it seems unfathomable that the government, once so progressive in things that protected the bio-diversity of this amazing place, could make such appallingly ill-considered decisions. My advice is to visit as soon as you can before the changes in the Oso Peninsula begin.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have outstanding views of Drake Bay and the Pacific Ocean from our Lodge. Our standard rooms are large and include a private bath and an ocean view balcony. Our ranchos are one and two-story private cabins that also offer balconies with stunning ocean views. They hold up to 6 people and are very spacious. Some are equipped with a bathroom on both the upper and lower level, and are suitable for families or two couples traveling together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo and Travelocity so you can book your La Paloma Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Paloma Hotel Drake Bay
- La Paloma Drake Bay
- La Paloma Lodge Costa Rica/Drake Bay