“Amazing Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Drake Bay
Tampa, Florida
“Amazing Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband wanted to book a vacation for us where we could really relax, get away from our hectic jobs, and enjoy nature. So we spent 5 days at Copa de Arbol, and what a wonderful time we had! Our cabana was so comfortable and extremely clean. The food was delicious--fruits and vegetables were so fresh and every meal had a beautiful presentation. Our waiters Orlando and Henry looked after our every need, and our master chef Miguel outdid himself with his fabulous creations. Every night, one of the owners, Mike, stopped by at dinner to inquire how our day had gone and how we were enjoying our stay. Angel and Johnny were equally accommodating and made certain we had a wonderful time. As far as some of our excursions arranged by the hotel, we chose to trek through the jungle in the Corcovado National Park and went snorkeling at Cano Island. Our guide, Mauricio, was not your typical tour guide by any means--He was extremely knowledgeable about the animals and sea life that we saw, answering every question in detail and providing many interesting facts--which made our excursions so much more interesting. To and from both locations (Corcovado Nat'l Park and Cano Island), we saw numerous humpback whales and their calves, which was an exciting bonus for us, as we stopped and watched them just yards away from our boat. We also saw the largest school of dolphins I have ever seen, and sea turtles along the way. Snorkeling at Cano Island was a lot of fun and we saw eels, spotted stingrays, and colorful fish. At the resort itself, we saw toucans, scarlet macaws, and several different species of monkeys leaping from tree to tree. My husband got many postcard quality photographs of some very unusual animal species, such as the anteater we saw during our trek thru Corcovado Nat'l Park. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so hopefully some of these photos will show you everything you can look forward to--and more--if you should choose to visit this wonderful place. Yes, it was expensive--but it was worth every penny that we spent. I am just now getting around to posting this review--one month after the trip--and still raving to my friends and colleagues about our wonderful vacation! My only regret is that we only spent 5 days in this paradise!

Room Tip: We were in Cabana #9 - wonderful view of the ocean, and the sounds of the waves crashing was soooo r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hey Elaine,
Thanks for taking the time to post this very informative review. It was great having you and Bruce spend your precious free time with us! We are honored that you chose Copa as the place to unwind. It’s very rewarding to be able to provide our guests with personalized service and the type of adventurous immersion in nature that people anticipate when they visit the Osa peninsula. We hope to see you and Bruce again soon.

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Bruxelles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This place is truly amazing. The cabins are ver nice and luxurious, in the middle of the forest and with a view on the sea.

Service is excellent. It is luxurious, but without the blah blah, true, authentic luxury. perfect.

The food is amazing.

The trip we did were wonderful.

Really, though quite expensive, I recommend this amazing place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thomas, thank you for sharing a little about your experience here. We are pleased that we met your expectations and hope to see you again someday soon.
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at Copa de Arbol for 5 nights in July with our two boys aged 14 and 9. Absolutely loved the place. Our cottage had two floors with two bedrooms and a sleeping area in the living room. My favorite place was the bathroom with Japanese style bath and a window overlooking small garden with a stature of Buddha. Everything, and I mean everything was absolutely perfect. I am not going to duplicate previous reviews, I agree with all of them. What made the difference for us, was amazing attention and care of chef Miguel who prepared very special meals for Andrew. Our son has got multiple foods allergies and his choice of what he can it is rather limited. So it seemed to us, before chef Miguel expanded Andrew's menu dramatically. We took home Miguel's Apple pie recipe and it is being cooked a lot. We were treated like family and the place felt like family. We hope to come back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Suite #5 if you travel with kids and want privacy for yourself.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are so fortunate to have Miguel as our chef. He is so talented it’s hard to put into words. I am so spoiled eating the tasty creations he cooks everyday. Like all of our staff, he truly cares about each guest and every meal he serves, and enjoys accommodating special diets. Many of our guests have ended up in the kitchen with him learning a few of his tricks and getting the recipes to their favorite dishes that he prepared during their stay. To us you are a part of the Copa family and we hope you come back soon. Thank you!!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I can't say enough good things about our experience at Copa De Arbol. It was absolutely beautiful. We saw monkeys outside our room!!! We also saw toucans, bats, macaws, and multiple bird species, etc. Mauricio, our tour guide for 3 trips, was a wealth of knowledge on various species in the area because of his degree in biology, as well as his experience with the conservation foundation in the Osa peninsula. Our tours would not have been the same without him. The manager Johnny and the concierge Angel asked us every night how our day was and if there was anything we needed for the following day. The restaurant had great food and Orlando and the restaurant crew was amazing. Overall, we felt the staff was friendly and very helpful. This was a dream vacation and we hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsey, I had a great time sharing stories with you and David during your visit. We are glad you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you both again!!
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The remote and exclusive Copa de Arbol Resort on the Osa Peninsula is both IN the Rainforest and ON the Ocean! Location! Location! Location!

Guests: 25 Maximum. Employees: 31. Experience of a lifetime at Copa de Arbol: PRICELESS!

During a week's vacation, I watched the employees and an owner of Copa de Arbol work as a professional team, and they felt like a family. It was apparent that all the key staff was sought out from the top of their fields. The service is outstanding. The property is spectacular. The food is exceptional. The cleanliness is spotless.

My travel to the resort continued with an hour long boat ride through the mangrove forest then into Drake Bay on one of the resort's private boats. I felt like I was a VIP getting off "The Love Boat", when greeted by Angel and other staff members on the shore waiting for our arrival. Angel, a resort manager, is also one of the most polite, kind, friendly Costa Rican gentlemen you will meet. Johnny, the other resort manager is surely the go-to guy; both true professionals!

I won't describe what kind of wildlife experience I had because we will each get something different, but you can be sure it will be amazing! You won't even have to venture far from your fabulous guest house if you choose, because the rainforest surrounds you just yards from the bay.

You can center yourself and "be" present here as a guest of the wild rainforest ON the ocean. Or you can "do" many of the things that are naturally offered by this extremely diverse landscape where North meets South, on both Land and in the Sea. It's up to you; a "do" vacation, or a "be" experience. The only motorized noises you may occasionally hear are the boats, without which we would have no access!

I was planning a "be" experience, yet the encouragement to try paddle boarding was just enough to coax me. I was amazed when Dylan, my private instructor (who happened to be on his work break), also volunteered to paddle all the way back to the resort, then paddle all the way back out just to bring icy cold cans of cervesa's for us to enjoy, with just the mention of it! He also showed his resourcefulness by finding cans because up to that point, I had only seen bottles of beer. Copa de Arbol does not need to put that on a list of activities offered because that kind of service goes without saying. Express something that may make your experience at Copa de Arbol a bit more enjoyable, and they will make it happen! The Copa de Arbol team is always looking to please the guests, and with conservation and safety in mind!

However casual, in many ways, Mike Michaelsen (owner with his friend Jason, both originally from California) sets the high standard of service for his team of employees by example. You will find Mike available, approachable, reasonable and grounded. He is the responsible team leader who also respects each team member. In all my travel years, I cannot remember a place that exceeds the highest European or American standards, and does so consistently. During my stay, I met with three different families that cancelled other reservations in Costa Rica to extend their stay at Copa de Arbol. You can immediately see, feel, and taste the difference of exclusive quality here. If there is ever an unsatisfied guest, which is unimaginable, it would be the guest's own fault!

I must add that I never thought I would return to a vacation spot just for the culinary experience, but I would at Copa de Arbol. That was the unexpected bonus! Chef Miguel's reputation has proceeded him his whole career. With an unassuming manner, Miguel told me that by invitation, he has cooked in some of the finest restaurants in Spain, France and Italy. Not surprisingly, I learned that a plate has never been returned to their kitchen once served! The presentation and tastes are sensuously indulgent! You will also meet Orlando, who manages the restaurant with detail as if it were his own; he has plenty of experience doing just that from when he owned and operated his own restaurant in Costa Rica.

Copa de Arbol may very well be located in the last frontier of Costa Rica! If you can possibly take that one extra day off for the experience, do it. You will wish you had once you arrive. Be forewarned, you may never be ready to leave! Copa de Arbol proudly represents the "Best of the Best" location to experience the Costa Rican rainforest!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Carrie, it was great having you visit. You have a very positive energy about you that was a joy to be around. You became a part of the Copa family quickly and we were all sad to see you leave. Thanks for such an in-depth review. Come back soon!!!
Belton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My son picked the Osa Peninsula for his senior trip. He had read about Corcovado and its amazing biodiversity. I was nervous about traveling to this remote area, but then found Copa de Arbol online. We booked the trip package,(Corcovado and Cano Island tours), and we stayed 4 nights. It was a great experience. The room was first class. The food was some of the best I have had anywhere. The location is prime ocean front in the middle of nature. We saw so much wildlife on the property! It was expected to see white faced monkeys and howlers daily, along with Maccaws flying overhead. My son got everything he hope for from this trip to Copa de Arbol and the Osa Peninsula. Corcovado was a nature lovers dream, and on the ride out to Cano Island we got VERY close to two female humpback whales and a calf. The snorkeling there was also very good(Jose was very helpful). We also did a night hike, and looked for insects, spiders, snakes and frogs with a very knowledgeable guide.
I was very impressed with how structured Copa e Arbol's transportation system is. Their boats are constantly picking up people from different areas and transporting people to destinations/tours. It is the only way to get there, and Copa de Arbol has a great system for doing this efficiently and safely.
Finally, the people who work there give Costa Ricans a great reputation. They were so friendly and eager to please. I enjoyed talking to many of them about their history in Costa Rica, their families, and what they love about living in Costa Rica. it made it feel like a great cultural experience as well as a nature experience.
I want to go back ASAP and bring the rst of my family. It is truly a special place!!

Room Tip: we stayed in Coco, it was the closest to the beach, and we hear waves crashing everynight. It also h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Susan, one of the best parts about living and working here at Copa is meeting all the enthusiastic, interesting people who visit. It was a pleasure meeting you and your son. We hope to meet your whole family soon!! Thanks for taking the time to spread the word.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have never written a review (and I travel a lot). Our stay for five nights at Copa de Arbol was such a special experience that I could not leave without mentioning our amazing time. And, I have looked for a term better than amazing and cannot find one so amazing will have to suffice. From the moment we stepped onto the property to the moment we left, we were treated like family. Each member of the staff knew all our names and anticipated all our needs from meals to snacks to the one time it was cold and we were given hot chocolate. I truly can't say enough and will definitely return. Lynn

Room Tip: We were in rooms 5 & 7 - both excellent
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lynn, thanks for posting your feelings about Copa. It was great having 3 generations of your family spend irreplaceable vacation time with us here on the Osa. We can’t wait for your return and thanks for treating us like family!

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!