“Outstanding...heavenly rustic luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding...heavenly rustic luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at Copa de Arbol. If you are looking for the ultimate in rustic luxury, you will not be disappointed. This was by far the most incredible and magical place I have ever been.
It is the ultimate Costa Rica. Not only is the location incredible, but this is the perfect lodge in the perfect location. The feeling here is very high end yet so welcoming, casual and comfortable. There is nothing stuffy about this upper class jewel.
The owners Mike and Jay are always around to oversee this incredibly well oiled machine. They chat with guests in their surfer digs. The staff is incredible - attentive, knowledgeable about the area, and just wonderful. There are so few guests and they learn your names immediately. Also they were sure to come find me when particular animal life was spotted, knowing how interested I was. And animal life there is, we saw monkeys birds, butterflies, pigs and many other things just on the grounds.
This place forces you to slow down and just chill out. The accommodations are so beautiful and comfortable. Each cabin is super private and relaxing. We slept each night with the windows wide open to the musical sounds of the surf and birds.
There is always something to do, whether it be hiking or sitting by the pool or paddleboarding or animal watching, snorkelling or eating...lots of eating.
And the food is wonderful. Beyond our wildest expectations. There is a set menu but they are always willing to accommodate. Since there are max 24 guests, you feel completely catered to, but not in a stuffy way. There is always coffee and tea and cookies out. At 5am I was coming for coffee and it was always fresh and delicious. Staff Is willing to accommodate anyone's schedule and will start breakfast as early as necessary. Breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner ran seemlessly into one another.
I felt so sad to leave, but we will be certain to return and bring our children to introduce them to the OSA and this incredible, special lodge.
This is one place that will be in my dreams until I return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. We had #9 balsa, which was near the creek and closer to the ocean. We c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
To be considered the most incredible, magical place you have been and the ultimate in Costa Rica is the highest compliment we could receive. We truly love sharing this area with our guests while providing luxury and comfort in this true tropical wilderness. We look forward to your return!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Knixville tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The cabinas were nicely decorated and very comfortable. The food was delicious and it was an adventure getting there and back on the boat. Pools were awesome and monkeys were all around.
There are a lot of extra daily activities, but just walking along the small beaches was plenty of entertainment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Tom. Glad you had a good time on our wild boat ride!! Come back soon.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a large party,three generation,ages from seventy to four. The accommodations were wonderful..A trip sceduled left on time. We had very informative guides. Tennis shoes and shorts were our attire for all of the walks. We scheduled something everyday and then came back to a wonderful dinner. The chef was top notch. My nine year old grandson said," This place is really nice. I know their names and they all know mine." One of the best vacations we have had. the staff was superb Five stars.We stayed six nights and had a wonderful time.
Paradise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
The entire staff at Copa De Arbol strives to meet people's expectations. Vacation time is very valuable. Getting three generations together can't be an easy task. We are glad to hear that your experience was all that you hoped for. Thank you for choosing us and spreading the word.
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

It doesn't get much better than Copa de Arbol in fact I have not been to a nicer and more impressive hotel in all of a Costa Rica. I am a travel agent here in Costa Rica and it is my job to visit the vacation hot spots and check out the hotels. I had the pleasure of staying 2 nights in this authentic yet luxurious property with my dad and we had the time of our life. For a place to really disconnect from your worries and connect with nature and wildlife this is the spot. I would say if you have one place to visit in Costa Rica and are a real nature lover then Copa de Arbol is for you. The service is top notch, my dad is a picky eater and we never heard the word no. The team is great and very attentive. Best place in Costa Rica, don't miss!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hey Robin, it was nice to have you and your dad visit. We are very honored to be considered the best place in Costa Rica by you , a travel agent specializing in Costa Rica. Thanks for sharing on Trip Advisor and come back anytime. I think you might need a few more days here, don't you?
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My daughter, son in law, grand son and I (82 years young) visited this resort for six days the last of June. The tree houses were unique, spotlessly clean and most of all air conditioned. The staff was intuitive of our needs, knowledgeable of the area wild life, friendly in every way going over backward to make our trip perfect, which they did.

The food was outstanding always presented with imagination -- always fresh with no preservatives. I especially remember the flavor of the tomatoes. Orlando greeted me every day with a welcoming arm and a big smile. One morning he put a flower in my ear making me feel very special. Evon was my hero. Ronnie and Henry completed the efficient food and bar specialists. My three went on some tours made special by Angel. I can’t say enough about Mike, the co-owner. He goes overboard with each and every guest arranging the tiniest details with great expertise. We truly want to thank all the staff for a never to be forgotten visit to Copa de Arbol.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Having 3 generations of your family here together was a blast. You are quite a group of characters with some great stories to tell. Charlyne, you need to get back so we can enjoy a morning beer together and tell stories while everyone's on tour. We are very thankful for your visit and hope to see you all back soon.
Gulf Shores, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Had the most wonderful, perfect vacation ever at Copa de Arbol.Me & My Mom visited May 15th- May 21st, stayed for 6 nights, just now getting to review. It is the most amazing place, looks like everything built to perfection. It is truely a Paradise in the Rainforest.

THE RESORT - is wonderful, wouldn't change a thing. Stayed in cabin #7 it was great, but all the cabins looked equally nice. Paradise in the middle of the jungle, with a/c, plumbing, hot water, electricity. I mean you couldn't ask for any more comfort! They offer several tours, and on your own you can take the trail down by the beach in one direction all the way to town of Drake Bay (about an hour walk), the other direction to Rio Claro river (about an hour walk) or keep going on that trail as far as you want. They hotel will also give you a ride if you prefer to either of those places. We saw monkeys and birds on the trip to rio claro, not so much on trip to town, but it rained and it is wildlife so you never know what you might see.
They have a private trail up behind the main resort building, or you can just hang around up there in open area and see lots of wildlife. We saw more birds there on the property at the resort than at the park, seen other wildlife at the park. And, after a day of hiking in the heat you can just relax out by the pool.

THE TOURS - We had the same tour guide for all of our tours Mauricio, he was informative, knows all about the wildlife, area, the park. Was extremely happy with him after the first tour. Would have been disappointed if we hadn't had the opportunity to have more than one tour with him. We did both park tours, and the nite tour. Chose not to do the snokel tour, only because i get sea sick. We walked to the Rio Claro, were going to get the local guide who lives there to take up us to the waterfall, (even though the hotel did offer to give us a tour to that), i had read so many good reviews on the guide who lives there i wanted to give him a chance and some income. Unfortuately he wasn't there, so we didn't actually get to go up the river and to the waterfall, very disappointed, (should have went thru the resort) but, maybe next time and we did see wildlife and awesome views on the walk down there.

THE FOOD - amazing, at every meal, like from a gourmet restaurant. Breakfast you can order from menu, lunch is mostly a 3 course meal usually one option, dinner is a 3 course meal usually a couple of choices. Great Food. If you are going on a tour they pack a lunch for you to take with you. I have to say the best part of the restaurant is the staff. The service and care, provided by Orlando, Ronnie, Henry, Yvonne and all the behind the scenes staff is extrodinary. They were each there everyday. Orlando was there for every meal, every day. They work long hours, and extremely hard. They are so happy, friendly, and actually appear to really love being there to help you, which is a rare thing. I could not put into works how much this contributed to making this vacation perfect.

THE STAFF - Well I have already talked about restaurant staff, and Mauricio Tour guide. Now Angel & Johnny work very hard to make sure everything is handeled and taken care of, anything you need/want, tour preparations...basically everything. The maids clean room everyday, extremely well. You mostly never see them they just kinda appear and dissappear. I also know there are lots of behind the scenes staff who do a very good job and work hard. The staff here is more like happy family. They do so much to insure you have a great vacation. The owner Mike is there everyday around the property. He talks to every guest. We talked to him everyday. He showed us the trails, told us about building the resort, to ok us to restaurant in evening to see the troop of monkeys invading dining room. You can tell this was really his dream and he loves it. His main concern is that you have a awesome vacation. He talks to you more like you are friends, and enjoys talking with his guest, not just as a job. I am sure i have forgotten something, there were so many wonderful things, it just isn't possible to list them all. I had a absolute perfect trip. Hope to go back next year. Thank you Mike and the entire staff. You have a wonderful paradise treasure here.

Room Tip: All cabins are great, each one has a unique feature.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
When it comes to the Osa Peninsula, I am biased. I think it's the most beautiful place on earth and I have never grown tired of being here after 20 years. I just feel so healthy and alive surrounded by all this wilderness and truly want to share the feeling it gives me with others. Thank you so much for your very informative review and photos. It's great to know you got the feeling that you have to be here to understand.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I just spent five nights at Copa de Arbol and it was by far the highlight of this and our previous trip to Costa Rica. The surroundings are profoundly beautiful but what makes this stay so perfect is the incredible personal attention to every detail that will make your time with them everything you want it to be. From the delicious food provided by Miguel, the trips to the national park and night walks organized by Angel, the elegant accommodations and amenities overseen by Johnny and the attention of the staff at the restaurant, making specialized smoothies and snacks on a open veranda with spectacular views of the bay, all adding up to an extraordinary time. Mike the owner is around and approachable for advice about your plans while there and ensures a seamless and safe transfer for all your activities. By the time you leave you are on on a first name basis with almost everyone and you will hate to leave.
We recommend this location for your stay with the highest level of enthusiasm and cant wait ourselves for a return visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Copa De Arbol seems to be like a magnet drawing in a very diverse, informed, and interesting crowd from around the world who share a common love for wild raw nature. It is a true pleasure to share this area with enthusiastic guests like yourselves. Costa Rica has many wonderful places to visit and we are very honored to be considered the best on your trip.

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!