“Beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Centennial, Colorado
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

You arrive here by boat or small plane. It is remote and not a trip for those looking for glitz and action. I absolutely loved it. The food was wonderful, the staff were amazing and very anxious to provide for our every need. Traveled with son, wife, 2 1/2 year old granddaughter and another couple. We had the best time. I had a massage on the beach and it was a great experience. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hi Melanie,

We are honored that you and your extended family chose Copa De Arbol as the place to stay on the Osa Peninsula. It was a pleasure meeting all of you. I truly enjoyed Rich sharing the amazing photographs he took while here. After 20 years on the Osa Peninsula, it was like seeing things through a new set of eyes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The amazing boat ride from Sierpe dock, through the Sierpe River estuary and into the ocean sets the right tone for arriving at this exceptional place. The dozen cabanas are sited right near the warm (85 degree F.) ocean, at the base of a hillside that offers a large tract of intact primary rainforest full of endemic and migratory birds, countless flowers that attract an unbelievable variety of hummingbird species, and a stream where several peccaries were rooting about the underbrush one morning.

Accommodations are lovely: local hardwood floors and interiors, a terrific shower with plenty of hot water, and endless bird calls and chirping cicadas. Only criticism would be that the beds were a bit too firm and the sheets a bit harsh on chigger bits I'd acquired elsewhere. Scarlet macaws' screeching around dawn might prevent sleeping in, but since wildlife tours all begin very early, that pre-dawn wakeup usually is for the best.

Food was consistently extremely good and well-prepared: wonderful choice of copious breakfast items, including a very hot fresh salsa that does wonders for any egg dish and really enhances traditional gallo pinto. Lunch and dinner were always copious and of the highest quality, including very good salads. The endless supply of the very freshest local fruits and home-baked cookies was hard to leave behind, as was the exceptional attention from restaurant manager Mario and from waiters Yvon and Leland. The fruit-based tropical cocktails were among the best I've tasted anywhere, anyplace. Be prepared for periodic visits of white-faced Capuchin monkeys into the open-air dining area, which nearly every guest found charming.

As an avid birder, the area around Copa may be the best place I'd ever visited. Between an absolutely unforgettable tours into the mangrove forests along the Sierpe River, an unguided coastal hike south toward Rio Claro, a tour to Sirena Station in Corcovado NP and some climbs up the hillside behind the resort, I spotted some 50 species of birds I'd never seen before, whether endemics I'd missed on previous trips to CR or migratory North American warblers spending winter in the tropics. A few, like the Cinnamon and White-winged becards, Yellow-billed cotinga, American pygmy kingfisher, Golden-naped woodpecker, Long-tailed woodcreeper, Bare-crowned antbird, Scrub greenlet, Blue dacnis, Long-billed starthroat and White-crested coquette hummingbirds were uncommon. Seeing a pair of Great black-hawks mating on a rock beside the turquoise ocean was a highlight, as were the many species of parakeets and parrots flying by in small flocks.

The mangrove trip, guided by Vincente was probably the most biologically intense, starting with considerable time spent at the base of high ocean rocks where boobies, magnificent frigatebirds and white ibises were nesting. Inside the Sierpe estuary we saw a large boa and a porcupine not very high up in the canopy, two 3-toed sloths calling to each other with the softest whistling sounds far above the water, scarlet macaw courting in a tree directly overhead, a large alligator and a caiman in the shallows.

Boat trip to Cano Island was also sensational, especially the numerous large pods of Spinner dolphins frolicking in the bow wake, flocks of brown and red-footed that settled on the water to catch fish missed by the dolphins, leaping eagle rays and a couple Olive Ridley sea turtles that we properly approached a crawl. As the only diver on what was primarily a snorkeling trip, I received exceptional attention from divemaster Mauricio during two 35-minutes dives where a handful of white-tipped reef sharks and some king angelfish were the highlight. Divers should be aware that, like HI, this is not a coral-rich site, and the nutrient-rich waters meant less visibility than in many tropical locations.

A hike from the beach to La Sirena ranger station was worthwhile, especially being able to get within 25' of an adult Baird's tapir and seeing bands of several monkey species, a 3-toed sloth and white-face coatimundi up in the canopy. The boat ride back let us see waterfalls, seabird rookeries and ocean caves of exceptional beauty.

Want to end this review with special thanks to facility manager, Johnny Ramirez, a terrific and caring young guy with a lovely little family. Johnny works awfully long days and goes way beyond the call of duty to ensure that every guest can fully enjoy their stay. He's also got a terrific eye for spotting and helping guests photograph birds.

In summary Copa de Arbol is pricey, but the exceptional quality of what they offer, along with the pristine remote setting, fully justifies the cost. Very glad we stayed a full week. Owner Mike Michaelsen deserves a lot of credit for creating such a unique and well-staffed place.

Room Tip: Choosing a cabana enough uphill for an ocean view, while not essential since every unit is close to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wow Don. What can we say? When Copa De Arbol was just a dream, I would look forward to the day that we would begin to receive guests and start the process of sharing. What I didn’t realize was the sharing we would receive in return. Having guests visit that are as passionate and informed as you are is a reward that I could not have foreseen. It’s nice to see an area I’ve known for a long time through the eyes of people with such a wide variety of information and interests. Your passion for birding was quite contagious. Not a day goes by when we don’t learn something from our guests. Thank you Don from the Copa De Arbol Family!
Spring Lake, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The best at Drake.
Remote, Friendly and fun folks, Great healthy food, staff and management.
Dillon, our waiter, John the manager and Mike the owner were the nicest people
friendly and responsive. The boat travel to and from was excellent with Maurice and Hans
lovely natives and informative. The resort it self set between the jungle and ocean, the pool
the view the Best! Wildlife , a herd of wild bores made the grandkids day.
Great fun filled 3 nights, great and modern 5 star cabins in the Jungle...........

Room Tip: All cabins are great and roomy We occupied 3 rooms with the family and they were great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. It was nice to see you guys enjoying each other’s company as a family and coming together in the name of such an important cause. GO IRENE!
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

It was a fluke. The boyfriend and I were hiking out from Drake Beach when we saw the property. With a few days left unbooked, we decided to check it out.

So, what did we find? A 5-star paradise in the middle of nowhere! With a recently completed infinity pool. Intriguing.

Keeley greeted us and invited us upstairs to check out the open-air ocean-view dining room. No pressure. We booked a few nights without even seeing the rooms or rest of the property. It was pricey (even with a huge discount - long story), but ended up being absolutely without a doubt worth every penny and more.

The cabina(s)...

We stayed in two different cabinas, and both were very nice. The first one was great, but the second was a two-story, two-bedroom castle nestled amongst the trees. That's what Copa de Arbol means: top of the trees. We slept in the upstairs room, which featured windows on every wall as well as its own sitting balcony overlooking the ocean. It's a pretty amazing experience to wake up to the sounds of crashing surf, exotic birds, and distant (yet no less intimidating) howler monkeys.

Nicely decorated, KILLER bathrooms and water pressure, comfy beds, sweet linens, and air conditioning. The only very minor nit is that there are no closets or storage space. Just thought this was kind of weird - because everything was so thoughtfully designed.

Amenities...

+ Three-level infinity pool with hot tub. Perfection.

+ Beautiful bird-watching loft above the dining room.

+ All-inclusive meals. A necessity due to the remote location. However, the food was just decent. We did have a few standout dishes (snapper sashimi and fresh fish tacos). However, the old-fashioned menu didn't measure up to the caliber of this five-star hotel. I'd love to see them doing simple dishes done elegantly, highlighting the fresh local ingredients. Don't get me wrong, we licked our plates clean. But the place is so over-the-top amazing, it would have been really nice to see an equally sophisticated, local menu to match.

+ Onsite biologist and tour guide (whale watching, mangrove kayaking, diving, night walks!)

+ Gorgeous primary jungle hiking trail just behind the property

+ Beach-front location with free access to paddleboards and kayaks

+ Includes boat rides to/from Drake Bay (5min boat ride, 40min walk, NO cars)

+ Kind, attentive staff...mad props to the owner, front desk, manager, boat crew, waitstaff, maitre d, and even the housekeeping ladies who greet you with a smile and refreshing cold towels after a long day of dirt, sunscreen, and seaspray

Experiences...

+ I was at the pool chatting with owner Mike when all of a sudden...he spots whales! He invited us to jump on his boat and ride along false killer whales. One of the most amazing, magical hours of my life. It's was an experience that you can't put a price tag on, but ended up being free, thanks to Mike. The crew even went out of their way to intercept some honeymooners they were expecting so the couple could also enjoy the experience.

+ Again, I was reading by the pool when the maitre d' runs down to tell us that a troop of capuchins had just invaded the open-air dining room. Amazing! It was an intimidating but thrilling experience to see these guys so close. It probably wasn't so great for them to be so close to humans, but I can't lie that this was pretty rad for a city girl.

+ We lost our iPhone 5 cable pretty early on in the trip. The manager Johnny happened to overhear us and offered to charge both our phones with his own cable on his own time. A small thing, but thoughtful - really helped us out of a jam.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Copa de Arbol and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: They all looked gorgeous! However, I noticed that some had hammocks. A cabina with a hammock would h...
Hey Helen,

Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative review. Your timing during your visit could not have been better. The day we encountered the large group of False Killer Whales was a memory I’ll never forget. I had never seen so many so close to shore at one time. Watching them teach their young to hunt, swim alongside the boat and jump into the air was amazing. We posted videos on our facebook. If you haven’t seen them, check them out. For such a short stay, you two really hit the bull’s eye!
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 glorious days at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort in mid-January, 2013. There’s little I can add to the other stellar reviews of this superlative resort, except perhaps to talk about the extraordinary hospitality we received.

We arrived at Copa de Arbol in a fun, adventurous way – via boat from Sierpe.
From the first moment when the boat captain took our hand in his to help us aboard,
we knew that we were in for something special. Thank you Tony and captains Hans and Pinkie for all the safe and fun cruising! When we arrived at the resort, several staff members waded into the water to help us ashore – it was like arriving at Downton Abbey!
That first warm greeting was echoed throughout our stay.

Soon after settling in, I realized that I hadn’t been in touch with my daughter for a few days, and I hadn’t brought a phone or a computer. I was quite anxious, but front desk experts Johnny, Keely, and Dylan set me up with their computers and helped me
contact home.

When my husband Stephen, an accomplished woodworker, admired much of the construction, Mike the co-owner had Minor the carpenter take him to the on-site carpentry shop, where they browsed around together.

Mario and Ivan are masters of the bar and dining room, and Miguel is the genius chef. Everyone was careful about Stephen’s allergy to red snapper, and always gave him a beautiful alternative appetizer or entrée (he missed some wicked good ceviche.) One evening after dinner, I asked Ivan to teach me how to fold the table napkins as he had. We cleared a table, and Ivan and Mario gave us an exhibition and tutorial on fancy folding! They must know 20 designs apiece, and I remember two.

Like many reviewers, I appreciated that the dining room tables were separate, and
each had a perfect view of the jungle and ocean. However, for Mike’s birthday, Mario
set up the tables family-style, and the staff and guests ate dinner together.
Several guests and staff had gone fishing that day, and Miguel made amazing tuna sushi as an appetizer and grilled mackerel for the entrée. It was a lovely evening.

Mauricio, the biologist guide, took us on two excursions, one to Corcovado National Park, and one to Cano Island. Besides sharing his knowledge with us, we had meaningful, free-wheeling discussions on many topics, and we learned about his hopes for the future.

A shout-out to Kate, a waiter, who shared with us her unique perspective as a new ex-pat.

On our last full day at the resort, my husband and I walked into town. Although other guests seemed to get there and back with ease, we were really tired when we arrived at Aguijita. The resort’s boat was in town after having dropped off some departing guests, and came back to the beach to pick us up and bring us “home” to Copa de Arbol.

Although this doesn’t fit my theme, do consider that Copa de Arbol is the ONLY RESORT in Drake Bay with beautiful, private, AIR-CONDITIONED casitas. Guidebooks describe the Osa Peninsula as “sweltering” and “steamy,” and they’re not kidding. It was great to return to a cool room after a day spent exploring.

Mike and co-owner Jason took many years to build this gorgeous resort, and along the way they cultivated relationships with local people. They’ve brought people onto staff whom they know well, whom they trust, and who share their vision. It’s a pleasure to know that our visit contributes very directly to the local economy. We’re very fortunate to have visited Copa de Arbol Rainforest and Beach Resort in Drake Bay, and to have experienced their EXTRAORDINARY HOSPITALITY. We were treated as we would treat someone in our own home. Thank you so much!

P.S. Next time I’m going fishing.

Room Tip: Our casita, Balsa, had views of the ocean from the bed. I could have stayed there all day, if there...
Dear Stephen and Cora,

We’ve been very fortunate to receive high praise here on Trip Advisor. We have worked hard to achieve that goal, however credit must be given to our guests. There’s an old saying in Latin America that goes like this “the bad road brought the good people and the good road brought the bad people.” Since there are no roads leading to Copa De Arbol, we must get the cream of the crop. When you visit us, you are visiting our home and you two fit in naturally like old friends. One reason that makes living and working here truly enjoyable is watching others appreciate what we’ve created and fully embrace all that the resort and the area has to offer. You two gave the whole experience one big GIANT bear hug! Thanks for helping me celebrate my birthday. It was a pleasure to share that evening with you and all of the other guests and staff. A special thanks to Cora for sending us pictures from that evening.
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I just got back a few days ago from a three-week long holiday trip to Costa Rica. We stayed at three different lodges (Bosque del Cabo, Copa de Arbol, Tortuga Lodge and Gardens) and all three stays were incredible, although each of the experiences was unique.

We are both biologists and my husband has a long history with Costa Rica, having done his dissertation research there over 30 years ago. We spent six nights in Drake Bay in January of 2012, and absolutely loved it, and hoped to return to La Paloma for the December 2012 holidays. However, La Paloma was completely booked. We were crushed, but upon recommendation by friends in Drake Bay, we booked the not-yet-open Copa de Arbol. With no TripAdvisor reviews to help us out, and only the lodge’s website and our friends’ recommendation to go on, we were a little apprehensive. First of all, new places often seem to have to work out the kinks, and we weren’t sure that we wanted to spend our precious vacation time and dollars on someplace that had just opened. Additionally, the website showed absolutely gorgeous rooms with AIR CONDITIONING! Air conditioning in the jungle just seemed, so, out of place? We wondered who the target audience was for the lodge – would a couple of low maintenance, “let me out in the field so I can look for frogs and snakes” biologists be comfortable in this environment? But we really love Drake Bay and valued our friends’ recommendation, so decided, to give it a shot.

With some trepidation, after six nights at Bosque del Cabo, we hopped in the 4X4 taxi arranged for us by Summer at CdA and started the 2.5 hour drive to Drake Bay. The ride with Elias was quite entertaining, as we stopped to look at a number of birds and other critters along the way (as well as a newly born calf just learning to stand), forded a number of streams, and finally arrived in Drake Bay, where we were picked up by CdA staff for the quick boat ride to CdA (note – you will get your feet wet getting in and out of the boat – no dock, just the beach!)

When we arrived at the resort’s beach, we were met by the manager Johnny, and Keely, who took us up to the second floor open air restaurant for lunch. Immediately apparent were the lushness of the grounds and the beautiful design of the main building (reception and restaurant), wood floors (no shoes allowed in the restaurant or our cabina), and beautiful furnishings. Although we did not arrive until about 2:30, the restaurant staff (Mario, Ivan, Daniel) made sure we were fed, serving us a delicious chicken salad and fruit juice. This started our love affair with the food (Chef Miguel is a genius) and the restaurant staff. The food was routinely amazing, with dinner entrees including fresh tuna on angel hair in a tomato, olive and caper sauce; baked fish with mashed potatoes and green beans; beef tenderloin in a mushroom sauce; fresh snapper; pork loin. I think sushi was included as an appetizer maybe three of the six nights we were there. Lunches included pork fajitas, shredded beef tacos, chicken salad, grilled vegetable sandwiches. Every meal was absolutely delicious, well seasoned and with perfect accompaniments; portion sizes were huge. Seriously, the dinners rivaled that which we have been served at Restaurant Grano de Oro, often considered one of the best restaurants in San Jose. And at every meal Mario, Ivan or Daniel (or some combination of the above) made us feel welcome and at home and provided all around exemplary service.

The cabinas were incredible. We were in Sable, which I think was the second cabina from the beach. We did not feel the need to use the air conditioning; instead we kept our windows open and the ceiling fan on (when we were in the room), which gave us the benefit of the cooling breeze but also through the front window the sounds of the crashing ocean waves and through the side window the gurgling creek. How I miss those sounds now that I am back home! Not to mention the howler monkeys and the various birds (including chestnut-mandibled toucans). Back to the cabinas – shiny wood floors, beautiful and functional design, pristine bathrooms and lovely shower, many windows to let in the light and the breeze. The furnishings and bedspreads are gorgeous, with a subtle Asian theme. These cabinas are far and away the most beautiful accommodations we have ever had in Costa Rica.

We enjoyed our tours with Mauricio, who we were very happy to see again (he had taken us on our Cano Island tour last year when we were at La Paloma). Mauricio is a trained marine biologist, and there is no one that I would rather have in the water with us when we are snorkeling at Cano. He swims like a fish, is happy to dive down to get pictures of some of the sea life (lobsters, etc), and is very knowledgeable about the fish and other critters seen on this excursion. This year we had a close encounter with hawksbill sea turtle on the first snorkel, and after the third, Mauricio spied a spotted eagle ray that we were able to follow for a bit – so gorgeous! We also enjoyed our trip with Mauricio to La Sirena (the “second” ranger station at Corcovado), where we followed a troop of endangered squirrel monkeys for quite awhile, and saw a sleeping tapir, a trogon, and a number of other birds, lizards, and monkeys. We also did two night hikes – on the first Mauricio started us at the creek where we saw the only glass frogs of our three week trip. These frogs are amazing in that their bellies are clear and you can see their internal organs, as well as bones in their limbs. At the creek we also saw blue crayfish. Later in the hike we saw a number of other frog species and some really interesting insects. On the second night hike we were accompanied by another couple as well, and we saw many frog species, an opossum, a sleeping flycatcher, and a really incredible green mantis with red stripes. These night hikes were the real deal – walking through streams, trudging up hills and through leaf litter. Our final trip with Mauricio was an afternoon boat excursion to the mangroves of the Rio Sierpe, where we saw iguanas, numerous water birds, parrots, a pair of scarlet macaws, and our only sighting of fiery billed aracaris - colorful little toucans. The entry from the river back into the ocean, in a driving rainstorm with only a sliver of light left in the day was truly thrilling – thank you Captain Pinky! We also hiked a few times on our own, although with only five full days at the lodge we did not have as much time for this as we would have liked. We hiked once around the loop trail, which yielded some great lizard and tiny rain frog sightings, and one day took the Coastal Footpath back to Cocolito Beach. Next time we will need to stay longer so we can explore. And we had no time for the horseback riding or the paddle boards that we were contemplating before we left home.

There were so many times during our stay that we experienced Copa de Arbol’s exceptional commitment to personalized customer service. Meal hours were much more flexible and longer than in any of the lodges that we have enjoyed in CR. Occasionally our activities made us late or early for a meal, but we were always accommodated with a smile. We really enjoyed the fact that at ALL meals my husband and I were able to have a table just for the two of us; at most of the lodges we have visited guests are seated together with other parties at dinner. While such seating is not a deal breaker for us, being able to relax at dinner, just the two of us, really enhanced the dining experience and our vacation overall. Before our arrival the staff had scheduled us to go to La Sirena in Corcovado the very next day. We were so exhausted after six days of hiking at BdC and the night hike we took our first night at CdA, that we asked to have our first full day off with no tours. I know that with just one guide this probably wreaked havoc with scheduling, but Keely happily made it work for us. When we wanted to visit our friends’ house but were unsure of how to get there or how difficult the trip would be, owners Mike and Jay offered to have someone walk us or take us in a boat at least as far as the proper beach. We did not take them up on these offers, but really appreciated their willingness to help us out. When we wanted to take an afternoon mangrove tour that was not listed on the lodge website, Mauricio made it happen. We felt that no matter what we wanted to see or do, if it was possible, Cope de Arbol would make it happen for us. It was wonderful to deal with owners and staff who took our vacation as seriously as we did, and did everything they could to make our experience a very special one.

When we are in Costa Rica, there are three things that our lodge must deliver – close proximity to diverse and plentiful wildlife, a clean and physically comfortable room in which to rest after our exhausting days and nights in the field, and a low key/low maintenance environment. All three areas were so far exceeded by Copa de Arbol! The most beautiful and comfortable rooms in which we have ever stayed in Costa Rica, dinners that rivaled one of the best restaurants in San Jose, beautiful grounds and beach, management and staff (especially in the restaurant) that go above and beyond to make you feel as if you are at a beautiful home away from home, diverse excursions and hikes provided by Mauricio, and owners and management that have equal commitment to sustainability and customer-focused service. What’s more, the vibe was as super relaxed as we hoped for. We can’t wait for our next visit to Copa de Arbol.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike M, Owner at Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Mike & Michele,

It was wonderful to meet you both. To receive a review from people as experienced and knowledgeable about the Osa Peninsula as you and Mike is a true honor. It was fun to share stories about the area and the changes that have occurred over the past 20 years. Our intent is to maintain a small and intimate location where people can share in their enthusiasm of the great biodiversity that is the Osa Peninsula. We are striving to create a comfortable and relaxing place for an international community of conservation-minded people who can gather to share their passion for nature and make the preservation of this area possible.

Thank you from the entire Copa De Arbol Family for taking the time to write such a complete, detailed and informative review acknowledging our efforts. We would love to see you both again soon.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

You almost don't want others to know about this magnificent well managed retreat. A trip of a lifetime that will keep you coming back. From your beautiful and well thought out bungalow to one of the best chefs and group of more than well caring service staffs we had ever encountered and we have traveled extensively. You will not go wrong staying here. The owners and management strive for your happiness and pleasure and you truly fell this group of people have been your friends for years. If your looking for a true relaxing, fine dining paradise this is it amongst the beauty of one of the worlds greatest places, Costa Rica.

Room Tip: We stayed in both 5 and 7. Not matter which one you stay in it will be unique and tranquil.
Hi Randy,

Our staff is made up of friends and families. When you visit Copa De Arbol, you become a part of that. The Osa Peninsula is a unique and magnificent area that attracts visitors who share mutual interests. As a result, friendships are built and bonds are formed. We genuinely feel that everyone who visits becomes a part of the Cope De Arbol family. It was nice sharing a few cold beers and hearing about your fishing trips. Hope we see you and Holly again soon.

Been to Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!