“Beautiful place in beautiful Drake Bay” 5 of 5 stars

Martina's Place Hostel
Agujitas, Drake Bay 60503, Costa Rica (Formerly Pura Vida Drake Bay)   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Beautiful place in beautiful Drake Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Martina's Place was the highlight of our trip to Costa Rica and Panama. Drake Bay is absolutely gorgeous, and Martina is the nicest and most helpful hostess you can imagine. We felt like home in her nice and clean rooms, big kitchen and terrace with hammocks and tables/chairs. Thank you so much Martina!

Silvano & Aniek

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Hello Aniek + Silvano, thank you so much for your great review! I am happy you liked it so much at our hostel. Bedaankt for staying here :-) Martina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Martina is fluent in Spanish, German and English and very helpful for suggesting and booking tours with local providers if needed.

There are many options for your budget here including tent, single rooms with facilities down the hall and one larger room with a private bathroom which my friend and I shared. There is a community kitchen available and filtered water at the tap. The kitchen is busy with young people saving money.

The beds are okay, the bathroom doesn't have much ventilation and is a little smelly if the door is left open. There is a ceiling fan that is somewhat noisy.
The wifi worked just fine and overall it was an okay place to stay and enjoy the beautiful area of Osa Peninsula.

Room Tip: The rooms without the bathroom would be a better value; you pay a premium in Costa Rica for having y...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hello D. thanks for your review, I really appreciate that you took the time to write it. I totally agree with you about the smell of the bathroom, since I am still renting, I am not allowed to make any ventilation holes.... but I -hopefully- will be the owner soon and that will be the first thing on the list :-)
It was a pleasure having you and your friend here. Martina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

There's not much accommodation available around Drake Bay and certainly not many budget-friendly options out there. We enjoyed staying at Martina's Place enough to spontaneously extend our stay despite having limited time in Central America. Drake Bay is just stunning, Martina offers a home away from home, great tours and a laidback atmosphere. We checked out the family room, triple rooms and the tents, they're all great (least of all the tent probably, but you would expect that). If only it weren't so far away, I wish I could return one day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hello Kasia, thank you so much for your review! It was a pleasure having you here and although its far away, may be you and your friends come back one day! Dziekuje bardzo, Martina
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

hotel is ok, beds are fine and wifi is working well. Room a bit hot, but not a real issue. Given the quality, clearly overpriced though. Kitchen seemed dirty, fridge's last clean up has probably been done during the last century (if done).

Advices were limited, and friendliness was clearly not present - but we were not such on a sociable mood - not a real problem. :)

All activities are well organized, and usually, sub contractors are among the best - too bad Martina is taking 15$ of commisison vs the price to be paid directly to the tours arganisers (snorkeling, etc...).. when you multiply by the number of activities and the fares, it seems pretty profitable for a phone call!

Payment via Visa possible (not AMEX), but an overcharge of 7% should be planned - in other terms, bring your cash!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, Arthur.

I am happy to hear that you liked the hotel in general, the beds, WiFi and how we organized the tours for you and your friend.

I consider myself as a sociable, friendly and helpful person - if I have said (or not said!) something that made you feel upset I sincerely apologize!
I remember I hardly saw you around in my office to have the chance to chat or give you advices...

I agree with you about the old fridge and the kitchen - we clean every morning, but with 20 guests using the kitchen permanently, sometimes its hard to keep up with cleanliness. But you had your own little fridge in your family room- you are not talking about that one?

The tour prices for the hotel guests are the same, whether you book directly or via your hotel. Who pays a commission to the hotels is the tour company and its the same amount to all hotels and from all tour companies, because we all work together, no competition! I would say, its the same and legal situation with real estate or boat sales.... If you heard something about different prices, it might have been Costa Ricans who pay less entrance fees or someone who did 10 snorkel tours or someone who had already tickets for Caño Island?
I saw that you copied the "commission part" from your review of a Montezuma Hotel to my hotel, which irritates me.

For payments with credit card the bank (not me!!!) charges 7-10%- depending what bank. That is why I always inform my guests, that they should bring cash if they want to avoid those costs.

I am honestly sorry that you did not leave happy and would have liked a chance to hear about it during your stay.

Martina Wegener
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at Martina's Place during our trip to Osa. Martina was very efficient in replying to emails and answering all the queries I had. She booked boat transportation and diving trips for us and recommended us great places to go to. We had a little problem with the fan in our room but she tried to fix it and gave us a replacement fan to use. The hostel also has a kitchen which comes very handy. Good price/quality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for the great review! And regarding the fan - that's what I learned in Costa Rica...problems are to be solved with 0 stress :-) Martina
Saint Paul Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My review probably won't do Martina's Place justice.. but I'll try. The magic of Martina's doesn't necessarily come from the property, but rather the enchanting setting (Drake Bay) and the graciousness and impeccable service from Martina herself. I can't stress enough how reassuring it was to send my first email to Martina and receive a reply within 20 minutes. Anytime we had questions - whether it was in our long string of emails or in person - Martina was pleasant, helpful and genuinely interested in making our vacation as good as it could be. She helped us book quite a few tours and knew what all of them entailed. When we had a bad experience with one tour she was very receptive to our feedback. She knows the true meaning of hospitality. I also need to mention her helper Tadzio was great as well!

The property is located just up the hill from the beach. A quick walk down to enjoy a fruit and milk drink at sundown and an even shorter walk up the hill to eat at one of the local sodas or hit the market. Since it is right in town, the location may not be ideal for those who like to sleep in - there are roosters to wake you as well as locals going to work on their dirt bikes. We didn't find this to be an issue because if you're in Drake Bay you should be waking up early to take a walk on the beach anyway!

For our 5 nights at Martina's we stayed in the honeymoon suite. For the price and room market in Drake Bay, it was just what we were looking for - basic accommodations. The cabin is more private than the other rooms and it has its' own bathroom which was nice. The best feature is probably your own private hammock.. such a simple thing but we thoroughly enjoyed it ;). There is excellent housekeeping and towels were always replaced if requested.

The property has some green gardens and trees and we saw hummingbirds, iguanas and the occasional chicken visiting from next door. The hostel is tucked in nicely and there is a wooded area behind which makes it feel secluded even in town. There is also a kitchen in the main building for guests to use. If you are staying more than a couple days, it comes in very handy. No one likes to eat out all the time! It is fully stocked with everything you need and there is a refrigerator as well. A great feature was a faucet with filtered water. The tap in Drake is perfectly safe to drink, but the filtered water tastes better.

I can't say it enough - if you are looking for basic accommodations with a family friendly hostel feel - stay here! We felt homesick when we moved on from Drake to the hustle and bustle of Manuel Antonio. Martina is the best!

David & Kelsey

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Kelsey and David- this is one of the nicest reviews ever! I am happy to hear that you liked your stay so much and I could see you had a hard time leaving Drake Bay...that's why I hope to see you again one day :-)
I will pass your review to Tadzio who now is volunteering in Dominican Republic.
Thanks again, Martina
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Smack dab in the middle of Drake (which is really not very big), Martina's place has quick access to everywhere about town, and Martina herself is very knowledgeable about the area and helpful with arranging just about anything.

One of the great things about Drake Bay is its remoteness, which in other places might mean you have to settle for shoddy dwellings, but not so here. While some spots could use a bit more polish (it's no boutique hotel, but again, this is Drake Bay), Martina's Place is comfortable, quiet, and cozy. We stayed in two rooms, a double with shared bed and bath, and a larger room off the side of the building with its own bed and bath. What you get depends on how much you're willing to pay (and whether you book in advance). There's also a shared kitchen and some rather rustic seating outside under a canopy where people get together to talk.

A hint: If you're looking for fresh produce, ask Martina about the fruit truck. The selection at the markets in town is a bit lacking. And a note to LGBT travellers, we felt quite welcome at Martina's Place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your nice and long review! I really appreciate it!
May be see you again one day here- Martina

Been to Martina's Place Hostel? Share your experiences!