“Martina is the best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
New York, New York, United States
“Martina is the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

When I was in Santa Teresa my wallet was stolen so I was in need of a place to stay on a budget and Martina was gracious enough to let me stay at her place and even pay via paypal.

She also suggested a great hike and set me up with an awesome tour of Corcovado.

I also very much enjoyed the traditional food that is served in her kitchen.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hi Michael, thank you so much for your review! And I hope you still have good memories of your stay in Costa Rica although you've been robbed. I am happy I could help you a little...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I could not have been more pleased with my choice of a place to stay in Drake Bay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were really cute. There was a kitchen to cook in, hammocks to chill in and it was just a very pleasant place to be. They help you with booking tours and transportation to whatever extend you need. We came by bus and Martina booked us a fairly priced taxi and water taxi to get the rest of the way there and was highly communicative through email before I got there.

Conveniently located and highly affordable, I completely recommend it. I was with a friend but there was a family with kids staying there too and it nice and quiet and family friendly. I fully recommend it to just about anyone who wants comfy yet simple accommodations while staying in the beautiful Drake Bay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Fionnuala, thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am glad you liked your stay so much...just I am sorry I did not meet you in person. Next time? :-)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Whilst despairing at my bug ridden choice of accommodation in Drake Bay, I wandered into Martina's place and was immediately greeted warmly and shown a lovely clean comfortable room to which I moved into swiftly. I only spent 2 nights which was too little as this was a home away from home
and the perfect place to explore Drake Bay or simply relax. Martina is very helpful in answering questions, booking tours, giving local advice and she kindly booked all my onward travel to San Jose which was very much appreciated.
I liked the easy going atmosphere at Martina's, nothing was a problem. I would definitely recommend it and it is great value for a big room. She also has tents in the lovely garden if you want to be closer to nature and an addition of 2 more rooms recently. I think you should book in advance as Lonely Planet have just discovered Martina's Place and added it to the latest edition.
Next time I will stay longer here.

• Stayed December 2012
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hi Mia, thank you so much for this fantastic review! It was absolutely a pleasure having you as a guest, you are easygoing too :-) You definitely have to stay longer next time to explore Drake Bay more!!!!
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My partner and I and our son recently had the pleasure of staying at Martina's Place, and it was one of the best spur of the moment decisions we have ever made. The location is perfect, just steps from the beach, and the quality of our room far surpassed our expectations for being such an affordable place, especially in a location where reasonable can mean well upwards of a hundred us dollars. The kitchen was really useful, the wifi was great, and most of all, there was Martina. She took us on a tour around the countryside on her morning off and showed us a couple of really nice local spots, knew all the best places to eat and go for hikes, and in general, was everything and more you could possibly want for an innkeeper. I would highly recommend her place to anyone who is looking for reasonably priced (yet still very comfortable and modern )accommodations in Drake Bay.

Room Tip: The apartment is wonderful, especially if you are a family as there are four beds and it opens direc...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MartinaWegener, Owner at Martina's Place Hostel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your review! It was so much fun having you guys and little River in my house...I really hope to see you again soon!
Petten, Nederland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Last summer (July 2011) I stayed for a week at Martina's Place: a small cozy (clean!!) cabinas, with lovely people, great food, location and excellent trips. I learned a lot about various animals and even saw some of them (in the garden (freely) but also when we were on a trip). Furthermore, Martina knows and advised us about the best (local) bars and parties. I really enjoyed my stay. Martina's Place is a special place and has a special place in my heart.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much Lisanne for your review...you guys have a special place in our hearts too :-)
Odijk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Room itself was fine, shower didnt have hot water, which wasnt a problem with the high temperatures outside, even at night. Room doesnt have airco but does has a good fan. During our stay of three nights the rooms didnt get cleaned and the towels didnt get changed, which was a shame.

Staff was very helpful in arranging trips and even bringing us to the tour operator. The organisation doesnt have a car, so this does mean some walking, but since Drake Bay is so small, that isn't a real issue.

Wifi was broke when we were there, but the staff let us use their connection which was good enough for us.

The restaurant just next door serves excellent food against very modest prices. Also very nice fruit shakes (watermelon is best). Unfortunately they dont serve breakfast (anymore?), which can be tricky in the morning for tours. The staff is helpful enough to arrange something somewhere else though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for giving 4 stars even there were some things you would have liked a different way...Since I was on tour during your stay I can only say what I have been told from my staff...There was no electricity in 2 days that's why there was no hot water or wifi...
Thank you for liking the restaurant, but we closed it and offer instead a fully equipped kitchen for self cooking! If you ever come back we would be happy to welcome you again!
Mountain View, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I learned about Martina's place through trip advisor and decided to stay therre for a few nights February '12. I coordinated the stay via email, and Martina responded quickly, and was very thorough in her emails. Although I did not ask for an airport pick up, Martina kindly arranged the pick up. The room I stayed in was quite spacious and the food was great. Throughout the whole trip, she has always been available to answer questions, give recommendations as to which places to visit and make sure that I was fully prepared for my tours. I particularly enjoyed horse back riding, trip to Corcovado park and snorkeling. I am very happy to have met Martina, she has definitely made this trip very enjoyable:)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for this review!!! It almost looks like I told to write all the good things about our place- but you didn't even mention you would give me a rating... So I was really surprised and I am happy you liked it so much! Any time again you are very welcome!!!

Been to Martina's Place Hostel? Share your experiences!