“You will not find another place like this in CR” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Maresia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Drake Bay
Finca Maresia
Save Saved
You added Finca Maresia to your Saves list
Camino a los Planes, Drake Bay, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
New Orleans, Louisiana
“You will not find another place like this in CR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Finca Maresia is unlike anywhere else I've stayed in Costa Rica. The location, buildings, bathrooms and everything are all considered down to the smallest detail. It feels like you are in a luxury hotel, but for a small fraction of the cost. On top of that, Juan is an amazing host. He was incredibly helpful and friendly, and was able to arrange everything I needed. He also knows about a few tours that are not available at other hotels - the forest tour in Tesoro verde reserve is one I won't forget, and I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for Juan. The food at Finca Maresia is some of the best I've had traveling, and they were very accommodating for vegetarians. I would definitely reccomend this place to anyone!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed in Finca Maresia for four days in June and are the first group of Chinese guest there :)

The experience is very unique as the bungalows are right at the edge of rainforest. The bugs seemed to be a concern at first but it turned out to be fine (thanks to the frogs I guess). The room is very clean, cozy and very well designed. Everything comes in handy when you need it. But the favorite part for me was the chance to meet new friends from all over the world as all the guests have dinner on the same table.

Last but not least, Juan, who runs the place, is very considerate and helpful. He helped us a lot organizing the local trips and logistics. The dinners he prepared for guests are also awesome!

Definitely recommend Finca Maresia if you're looking for a B&B in Drake Bay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

What's not to love about this place! Beautiful rooms, surrounded by amazing forest, wildlife... Lay on the hammock and enjoy nature, and then have a cold beer while you wait for a great dinner prepared by Juan...yummy! Juan will help making the stay and any additional activity smooth, essy, perfect! Juan, you rock!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are just fantastic, definitely go for it if you can! That shower on the open, looking...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

First of all, Juan who runs the hotel is amazing at what he does and goes out of his way to make you happy. He made sure all the tours were set for the following day and helps plan the transportation for getting there! (which is sometimes just him driving you himself!) Oh and if you decide to stay at the hotel for dinner, Juan cooks a 4 course meal every night of salad, soup, entree, and dessert which was so delicious! It's fun because dinner is served around a large table where we met people from literally all over the world. The hotel itself is surrounded by forest and is beautiful. The rooms are very comfortable and were just perfect for us. I highly recommend staying here and can't wait to be back!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

At the end of April I stayed, for 4 nights, in one of the basic rooms. Although I enjoy my stay, I would recommend staying in a standard or superior room. My issue with the standard room is that there is no outdoor seating, in front of your room. Also remember to take plenty of cash as there is not a ATM in the tiny ocean side town of Drake Bay. I had enough cash on hand to pay for my accommodations, but I did not realize that I would not be able to use a credit card for tours arranged by Juan of the Finca Maresia. This caused a uncomfortable feeling between me and Juan during my entire stay. My stay would have been better without that tension.

You can walk to town in 20 minutes if you are in fair shape.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Finca Maresia is a beautiful bed and breakfast near Drake Bay. Miguel, the owner, is a wonderful host. We had mix up with the rooms while we were there (an inadvertent double booking) which meant we were downgraded from the private cabin to the room above the main lodge. Since it was our last night and we were leaving early in the morning, we didn't mind and Miguel was very gracious about it.

His property is absolutely gorgeous - the rooms are kept very clean and comfortable.

Expect a quiet stay here - a late night here is around 10pm and there won't be much light for reading or playing games or any other evening activities.

You'll read in other reviews that Finca Maresia is far from the town - this is true. It is is the only reason I wouldn't give this B&B 5 out of 5, but Miguel really makes up for it with his customer service. He is in and out of the town so often that it is very easy to connect with him to get a ride there and back. There is also a nice path you can walk to go down to the beach, and ask to bring along the dog... he'll watch your belongings for you while you go in the water!

Also for vegans - Miguel is absolutely great at accomodating vegans, just let him know!

Overall, highly reccomend Finca Maresia and a big thanks to Miguel for an amazing stay in Drake Bay.

Room Tip: Go for the private or connected cabins - the economy rooms are very small.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was the first stop of our ten day trip in Costa Rica. I found this place online and relied solely on the reviews written on trip advisor. I really didn't know what to expect. We arrived by small plane and Juan had a driver there waiting for us as promised. When we finally arrived at Finca Maresia, I was impressed at how well kept the grounds were and how welcoming Juan was. When I walked into our cabin, I was pleasantly surprised and super excited that I listened to the reviews on trip advisor. The beds were comfortable, the shower was open to the beautiful outdoors and we fell asleep in our hammocks after our long hikes in the parks. The breakfast was prepared fresh every morning, coffee, fresh juice, fresh fruit and eggs, pancakes, etc. We told Juan on the first day what we wanted to do during our stay and he made all the arrangements for us. It couldn't have been any easier. Dinner was served at 6:00 every evening for $15. We met people from all over the world and engaged in great conversations. The dinner was prepared fresh every night and Juan takes into consideration any dietary issues you may have. We had dinner there every night during our stay and it was absolutely delicious! It was hard to leave such a beautiful place and such a gracious host, but I know I will return one day soon and I will definitely be staying at Finca Maresia. Thanks Juan!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Finca Maresia? Share your experiences!