“Budget B&B with excellent service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Maresia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Drake Bay
Finca Maresia
You added Finca Maresia to your Saves list
Camino a los Planes, Drake Bay, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Drake Bay B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“Budget B&B with excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Nothing ritzy, nothing posh. Finca Maresia has only the basics: wooden bungalows, ample gardens, an open air terrace-reception-communal area. But Drake Bay is such an otherworldly beautiful place that not much can be done to upstage Nature anyway. But, oh, the service. Miguel, the owner and jack-of-all-trades will pick you up at the beach, after you arrive by boat and jump into the surf like a modern Conquistador. Then, he will recommend and arrange for you all the attractions available in the area, including visiting the National Park, snorkeling in Isla del Caño or quad riding to virgin, white-sanded beaches. Lunch is not served in the hotel, but breakfast and dinner are outstanding, both hearty and healthy. Every night, the guests meet for dinner, conversation and a night cap in the open terrace, surrounded by the noises of the jungle. The rest of the staff is polite and quiet, and always helpful. By far, one of the best hotels in this category in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Get a Standard Room for 4 people, even if you travel solo or with only one companion. Value is still...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Polish first
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I'm from Costa Rica, but never thought that a beautiful and pacific place could be so far and so close from San Jose downtown. I explain, so far because is a 7 hours trip (which is a long trip for costarricans), and so close because is in the most beautiful road to see, The Costanera, with the beautiful pacific beaches (dominical, bahia ballena, uvita), after that, in Sierpe take the little boat (lancha), and Ignacio was waiting for me and my wife on Drake, with his car to take us to the hotel.

The place is awesome, I think because of the creativity of the owners, how to make a confortable rooms, out of mosquitoes, clean and pure water, with a lot of activities to do, every one is programing the day before, according with your expectations and recomendations of the owner.

Room Tip: None special, just found the one according with your necessities, public bathroom is for two couples...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My friend and I stayed in a private room with shared bath. The shared bath is clean. The breakfast and dinner are delicious. Note that you have to wait for everyone before dinner is served.
The location is out in the wilderness but it was a good getaway and I loved it! We did not rent a car but they helped us arranged transportation. They also helped us arranged our tours. The staff are friendly. Overall, it was a great 3 nights stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Loved our 3 nights at the Finca. We stayed in one of the bungalows with an open view of the jungle right from our shower. Barbara was running it and was helpful and super easy to deal with. They arranged all of our tours for us with top notch guides. We ate dinner there twice and it was a 4 course meal perfect porstions both times.

The dinner table is communal and the patio it is on is perfect for reading at night or during a quick rain storm. Miguel the owner (I believe that's his name) was super accomodating. We even ran out of cash because there are no atm machines in Drake bay he offered to give us his wiring info and we can just wire him money when we get back into a city.

This place is not right on the beach but only a 20 minute walk accompanied by LULA the hotel dog. The amount you have to pay for one of the spots right on the water can be better invested on activites in and around the lovely OSA area. Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

but the hospitality, food, and accommodations were so wonderful that I'm taking the time now to write a review. While we visited, Juan was in charge and did a great job of making us welcome. He helped arrange our excursions and always pointed us in the right direction.

A couple of things that might not be obvious from the web, etc:

1. The opportunity to have breakfast and dinner at the hotel is really a godsend in some respects. There aren't many other places to eat in Drake Bay, especially if you'd like to keep the price reasonable. It wasn't until I was leaving Costa Rica and was able to reflect on the few meals that I had in San Juan and essentially getting to and from Drake Bay that I realized there seems to be remarkably little variation in Costa Rican cuisine. I think I would have gone mad from boredom (culinarily speaking) if I hadn't been so well fed by Juan and the staff.

2. The hotel is a bit of a walk from the waterfront so bring good Tevas or something like that to get to and from the hotel. We were there in May and it rained every afternoon for a bit which ensured that it was always a muddy walk.

The accommodations are simple in their clean lines, clean, and luxurious. Our cabin was a quiet haven to retreat to after a long day of hiking or other activity. And the open air shower was a great touch.

Without a doubt, I would stay here again. I hope the next adventure I have lands me in such nice surroundings. Thanks Juan!

PS Ignore the January 2012 indicator - I actually stayed May 2011

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

After traveling around in Costa Rica for 3 weeks, I can honestly say this is the nicest place and hostel we've visited. Both superior and basic rooms are real value for money.

The location is terrific, the rooms perfect, the breakfast excellent and the communal balcony where both breakfast and dinner are served, are a good place to spot birds in the closeby trees. It also facilitates the contact with other guests. All of this in a friendly and cosy atmosphere.

I really can not say what more you can expect from a hostel, everything that can facilitate your stay is taken into account by the owner. In bref, it's perfect.

For sure, one of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed when traveling around in Latin-America, Asia-Pac and Africa!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had a great 6 night stay here. As soon as you arrive you know this is going to be a special and unique experience. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and the owner Miguel certainly knows what travelers want. His approach to this hotel makes the difference to any I have been to. He makes sure that you are informed of trips available in and around the area, he is very accommodating whenever you have questions, and very knowledgeable of local information and local wildlife.

What also sets this apart is the hotel communal area, set up high overlooking the surrounding forest you are free to use a monocular to watch birds or simply spend the day in hammock. For dinner and breakfast we also found this to be a great concept of spending your time on a long table and chat to fellow travelers.

This number 1 in Drake Bay for many reasons!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Finca Maresia? Share your experiences!