“A magical experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Guaria de Osa Ecolodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Drake Bay
Guaria de Osa Ecolodge
You added Guaria de Osa Ecolodge to your Saves list
Just south of Drake Bay! | Osa Peninsula, Drake Bay, Costa Rica   |
London
“A magical experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Guaria de Osa is a wonderful discovery. I booked for a week and ended up staying longer. As one of the few places in Costa Rica with no road access, it remains very unspoilt and the nature is quite spectacular, with beautiful empty beaches and primary rainforest full of birds and wildlife. Staying there is a rich sensory experience. Walking up the beach and into the property after my arrival by boat, I felt I had arrived in paradise. It is not an ordinary hotel. It is very friendly and run by people who are passionate about the natural world, and willing to share their knowledge. It is a true eco--lodge, so although it may lack a few comforts such as hot water, the accommodations are comfortable and clean, and there is a sense of truly being in harmony with nature. A percentage of the profits also go to support projects in Ecuador.
Staying at Guaria de Osa can be deeply relaxing and peaceful, and also a lot of fun... with spontaneous adventures into the jungle, live musical entertainment by candlelight from the owners and staff, and boat trips to see the dolphins.
By the end of my stay I felt rejuvenated and inspired.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I had seen a flyer for a trip to Guaria de Osa focused on the rainforest and healing and decided to sign up. I have to say I was very disappointed by the experience. They tried to have me stay in a common area as my room, not at all the private accomodations I had been assured were available. Only after strenuously protesting, did they give me a more private accomodation. On the "plus" side the grounds were pretty, the food was decent, fresh and well-prepared, if somewhat stingy. It was upsetting and entirely inappropriate to hear the owner, Johnathan, arguing/cussing at family members quite loudly one day. There were other events that took place that made me feel unsafe at the worst and at best like I had made a poor choice for a vacation. Just a few miles away there were very cute, inexpensive cabins right on the beach, with a casual restaurant/bar on the property, snorkel rental and just a cool vibe. Frankly, I wished I had stayed there.

• Liked — the beach was just yards away and the grounds were pretty
  • Disliked — essentiad, the entire experience. would not repeat nor recommend to a friend
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

Fate guided me to journey to this precious, protected natural retreat centre and my 10 day experience can only be described as transformative. The beauty of the natural environment is deeply soothing while at the same time interesting & stimulating in it's rich diversity. There are also many near-by activities to create a fun & authentic eco-adventure.

• Liked — The natural environment & the fresh, local food
  • Disliked — cold showers & lights out at only 9-10 pm due to solar energy
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prescott, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

A friend of a friend led me to Guaria de Osa and I can't tell you how happy I am that she did. Everything she said was true: it's a beautiful place staffed by great people in the middle of one of the most utterly magical natural settings in the world. The Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica is considered a biological "hotspot" because of the extreme diversity of the flora and fauna here, and it's not hard to see why. I saw more animals during my time at this lodge than I probably ever have in my life (and I'm an outdoors enthusiast.) Scarlet macaws, white-faced monkeys, bearded lizards, iguanas, hawks, birds of every type, whales, sea turtles, the list goes on. Backed up to the Corcovado National Park, this place radiates the catchphrase of Costa Rica: "pure life."
And while there are many different types of businesses in this country jumping on the official public relations of Costa Rica being all about nature and wildlife, it's also the scene of rampant development and ecotourism "greenwashing." This place is a true ecotourism lodge, from the solar electricity to the plumbing (believe it or not, a lot of the fancy hotels in Costa Rica dump their sewage directly in the ocean) to the wildlife they rehabilitate, to the sea turtle nesting project they host each year to the rainforest conservation nonprofit organization they support with your dollars. They also employ local people, and their buildings were all built with reclaimed hardwoods harvested onsite. As someone who cares about the impact that my travel has on the environment and the culture I'm visiting, staying here made me very happy.
In terms of the accommodations, they were just the right combination of beautiful, comfortable and rustic that you'd expect from a jungle lodge in such a remote natural setting. The food was great and the tropical/Oriental style of architecture was gorgeous; the Lapa Lodge was by far the most majestic place I've ever done yoga or received a massage. (Both are available onsite, along with nature tours and ethnobotanical talks.)
There are no roads that lead here; you have to take a boat from Sierpe, and that's why their address is a beach! This was by far the farthest I've ever gotten off the beaten track, and the experience has been something I will remember for the rest of my life.

• Liked — the amazing architecture
  • Disliked — solar electricity means lights out at 10 pm
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Guaria de Osa Ecolodge? Share your experiences!