“Pure Pura Vida at Waterfall Villas!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas
3 miles NE of Dominical | calle principal direction San Isidro, Dominical 99999, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Dominical B&B and Inns
Arizona
“Pure Pura Vida at Waterfall Villas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at the Waterfall Villas from June 22-July 1 and it was the first time in "many" years that I can honestly say I relaxed completely without the phones, computers, TV, radio, etc etc. The ultimate in rejuvenation and "getting away from it all." We had the private pickup to and from the airport and I recommend that. No hitches.

Donald was awaiting us for check-in and got us settled in the dragonfly suite which we loved. All rooms have balconies overlooking the calming stream below. Our room had no A/C, but we enjoyed it just fine as we were provided with a nice floor fan we turned on us at night along with the ceiling fan. Very comfy. We had a resident small gecko who vocalized to us at night from the ceiling and I would chirp back at him. There is also a family of larger geckos outside the room which we enjoyed.

Fateh was away on a yoga retreat to Bali but husband Franco did a marvelous job of arranging all of our excursions for us and even led us personally on the hike to Nauyaca Waterfall which was amazing. Franco is a true naturalist and knows his native Costa Rican flora and fauna well and it was such a treat to have him point out interesting flowers, fruits, plants, and wildlife along the way. I must warn you though, that you better be in pretty good shape to hike the trail OUT of the falls as it is a somewhat challenging uphill trek all the way.

Other excursions we did included a trip to Corcovado National Park, Manuel Antonio National Park, and whitewater rafting, all of which were great! If it is your first time to Costa Rica, I would say that out of all of these, the Manuel Antonio excursion is a must. We also walked the 2 km to the Reptilandia reptile park just up the road from Waterfall Villas. We highly recommend that--tell the owner Quetzal, that Ted sent you.

We also did the couple's massage along the waterfalls which was such a treat. The best massages we have ever had--anywhere.

The waterfalls on the property are very nice and make for some good photos. We found several species of toads and frogs, lizards, and even fruit bats, and many neat birds.

The food was absolutely wonderful! Hats off to Fateh for teaching the gals who do such an admirable job of preparing those delicious meals! Even though Fateh was not present, we could feel her touches around the property and with the decor in the room. We hope to meet her in the future.

I hit it off with Donald, Franco's brother talking about wildlife and whatever. He was such a treat to meet and visit with.

Can't say enough about this place and the people who are involved. So friendly and accomodating. I miss them already.

Being vegan made this all the better, but we did eat a couple of lunches in Dominical. If you are vegan, we recommend eating at Maracatu which had some very tasty vegan dishes. Another place is Chapys where we had an excellent vegetarian pannini. Wow!

Recommendations: Bring a deck of cards, insect repellent, water shoes for wading along the creek, etc. We spent quite a few afternoons watching it rain on our balconey and we read, talked and just relaxed. We also played a lot of rummy in the evenings. Terrific!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We found Cascadas Farallas after searching for vegan retreats. Although our schedule did not allow us to meet Fateh (owner) while we were there, she was very reponsive to all my emails and so helpful in planning our trip. My wife and I did the 7 day vegan package with a mixture of raw and cooked meals. The chef was very thoughtful with our meals including many allergy issues my wife was dealing with. The food was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. It was so nice not to worry about cooking or searching for restaurants with healthy vegan food while travelling. We got 3 delicious meals a day. When we had day trips planned we let the kitchen know and they packed a nice lunch for us. The location was perfect -- away from the crazy night life on the beach and the heavily trafficked tourist areas. I loved the small scale of the retreat. We visited the secluded waterfalls on the property nearly every day -- it was a great way to cool off. The management accommodated our 1 year old baby without any problems (although we brought our own port-a-crib). We loved our (air-conditioned) room. I really appreciated Franco's help in arranging a rental car for us when we needed it for a day trip to the mountains and also in calling a speedy driver to get us back to the airport on our last day. We did several day trips that were arranged by the owners and enjoyed them all - especially the waterfall hike led by Franco. Perhaps the only potential problem we noticed is that the trips we requested were planned without any input from us. In other words we did not know the days, times, manner of travel or eating arrangements until we asked after we arrived. It didn't really matter for us because our plans were flexible enough that we were able to adapt without any issues. However, another couple that we got to know was upset because a day trip they had paid for conflicted with their plans to drive back to the airport. So you might want to clarify your day trips before you go if you want the owners to arrange them for you. I highly recommend Cascadas Farallas, especially if you like to get away from the touristy stuff and enjoy some peace and quiet without making your own vegan food.

Room Tip: I think it was worth it to pay extra for an air conditioned room. A couple of the rooms sit right ov...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Issaquah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Do you need to get away from it all, to focus on what's really important to you, to detox your body and your mind? I did, and chose to do it at Cascadas Farallas in Costa Rica. It was the best decision I could have made.

I spent two weeks there getting myself aligned with my inner self. Doing yoga each morning on a platform by the waterfall with giant butterflies fluttering in and out of the shadows is the image I will never forget of how personal transformation can be a beautiful thing.

The vegetarian cuisine was varied and excellent. The kind, attentive staff made me feel like a pampered princess.

Be good to yourself. If you want to make some changes in your life, I recommend coming here to make them in this beautiful jungle retreat, away from your distractions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

What a find in the middle of the jungle, just a few miles up the road into the mountain from Dominical. The first thing that caught our attention was the name, Waterfall Villas! Then, it's also a healthy, yoga retreat as well...we're in. We got lucky with someone canceling their reservation and ended up spending the remaining nights here! Being waterfall and yoga lovers, we were in heaven. They have two of the most lovely waterfalls running right through the property, with swimming holes to experience. Also, they have amazingly yummy vegan dinners that are incredibly creative. Yoga is every morning on the yoga deck and they have a massage room in a pagoda type building. Great and romantic getaway spot!

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with A/C if you need that type of thing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I decided to spend one week at Waterfalls Villas for a yoga retreat and detox programme. It was a magic experience! The peaceful place with the four decks facing the waterfalls is ideal for a retreat and meditation. The energy of the Waterfalls does indeed « resonate into our body, mind and soul with healing, detox, and rejuvenation” as mentioned on the web page. Also, staff are extremely pleasant and attentive to our personalized needs.

The introduction to Kundalini yoga was very interesting as Fateh tried to adapt each session to my specific needs. Each day, we would have different series of poses, breath, chanting and meditation depending on my physical condition and how I feel.
I have been practicing yoga for about 12 years but was more used to Sivananda style, which follows a rigid sequence of postures and Ashtanga yoga, a more dynamic and vigorous form of yoga.

Fateh is also very knowledgeable about detox techniques, from juice fasting to Ayurveda and took the necessary time to provide advice about dietary changes and more broadly life style changes that help not only revitalize the immune system but also live well.

Room Tip: The Dragonfly suite is large and quiet, highly recommended if you do not mind not having an AC.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Pros, cons, tips

Tips
Use the private car service, it's expensive but worth it. Just tell them to take the fast route, not the scenic route. The non scenic route is 40 minutes shorter & still beautiful
Bring only workout, hiking & beach clothes. All other clothes are useless

---------------
I have been a vegan for about 2 years and up till I found this hotel, eating was always a little difficult. Fateh & Franco made traveling so simple, our food, our excursions, everything was simple. This was truly one of our best vacations ever. It was a good combination of adventure and relaxation. The food was tasty, the weather was hot and the hotel was great. My wife and I have traveled quite a bit and this was by far one of our favorite spots. We will come back again! I'll share some negatives, a ton of positives and some tips

Tips; let's start with some tips
1. March is the hottest time of the year in Costa Rica, it was 90 degrees and 100% humidity. Bring only workout clothes, hiking clothes and cutoff s. my wife and sweat through everything we brought. She brought sun dresses and I brought some nice collard shirts that we both did not need. We both wish we had brought more workout clothes
2. The airport ride is 3 hours and very long. We did the private car which is expensive but I highly suggest. Tell your driver you want to go the new route NOT the scenic route. Yes the scenic route is beautiful but so is the fast route. The scenic route adds 40 minutes and its very curvy. I am not a person who gets car sick but I was very close to on that ride. Take the fast route
3. Do not fly Spirit airlines, it will be cheaper but it will ruin your vacation. We were supposed to go in December but never made it there until march when I rebooked with united. It's a long, painful story but trust me DO NOT fly spirit airlines

Positives:
1. They will plan everything for you with the best tours possible. I just told them what tours I wanted to do and when we arrived we had a planned vacation, it was so simple. They arranged all the times and booked excellent tour guides!
2. I have some odd food allergies and they did an excellent job accommodating for me. I sent them recipes, they used some of them and served delicious food
3. The hotel location is perfect, located right on a waterfall, wow! We walked down to see the waterfall, we hiked around it, the hotel is beautiful
4. The hotel room, open concept. We stayed in the butterfly suite and we had a jacuzzi right in our room, rain shower, king size bed, air conditioning, safe and a refrigerator. Everything in the room was great!
5. Close proximity to everything we wanted to see: 10 minutes from beach, 15 min from baru and zip lining, 45 min from national parks and 30 minutes from hiking to the waterfall.
6. Great all inclusive package. Our package included all food, couples massage & lunch by waterfall and all of our tours except zip lining. The lunch & massage by the waterfall was awesome, very romantic!
7. The staff was very accommodating, friendly, great service. Rooms were cleaned very fast, security was great. I felt like we never had to lock our doors because it was such a close group with the guests and staff
8. Great community - met a lot of other vegans that we will stay in touch with.
9. Originally our trip was supposed to take place in December 2012 but because spirit airlines sucks as mentioned earlier, we could not make it in December. I called Fateh the day we were supposed to arrive and she was so understanding. Instead of losing all of our money, she let us rebook our vacation for march. I was so grateful, any other hotel would probably made us pay a penalty or we would lose our deposit. It was so nice of her and Franco!
10. They provide unlimited bottled water
11 the fruit was delicious, mangos, bananas, pineapple, fresh everyday. They also served a fresh juice at every meal, delicious!
11. Very peaceful and relaxing. In the afternoons we just hung out at the hotel, read our books and relaxed. It was so peaceful and quiet. We sat on our Balcony or read by the waterfall. It was so nice!

Negatives:
Let me start my saying the negatives are specific to my trip and the positives 100% out weighed the negatives and we absolutely plan on returning.
1. I am a vegan because I eat Very healthy. I cook with no salt, no oil, no processed sugar, and only eat whole foods. And as you read above I have specific allergies too. The food was very tasty but not my type of cooking, it lacked the nutrients I needed. If i don't get the nutrients I need, i tend to get sick which has happened in over 1 year until now. During my visit, I suggested more green drinks, more kale but it was just not enough for me. The cooked food was also cooked in to much oil, I know because the water fountain was right in the lichen and often saw them cooking with vegetable oil. The food was delicious and my wife who is not vegan loved it, but for me it was tasty but lacking the nutrients I needed. I think the next time I go back, I would get the raw detox program so I can get my raw veggies.
2. Our suite was beautiful and I'm so happy we had it. However when I booked our room, we paid for the Jade suite and I thought our jacuzzi was supposed to be outside. I was confused for 1/2 the trip and then I asked one of the staff which room I was supposed to be in. They said your listed for jade but the room number is 4 so you have the butterfly suite. Anyway, it was still a nice room but confusing.
3. Jacuzzi was very comfortable in the room but we only used it once because when you turned on the jets, it made the whole room smell like sulfur. I think there water has a high sulfur content, that is probably why you need to drink the bottled water.
4. The 3 hour drive after 6 hours of flying seems and is very far! It's worth it though
5. My wife and I got the all inclusive 3 meals package. However we were still hungry between meals, so we needed to buy fruit and have snacks. Luckily I brought a bunch of snacks. The good thing was if you bought fruit, you could bring it to the kitchen for them to cut it and then you can store it in the fridge in the room. I wish they included fruit or snacks in between meals but I understand why they don't.
6. Out of the whole trip, everything was fantastic, this was the only thing that really annoyed me. So, because they are in the rainforest it's difficult for them to get some of the foods we have in the states so Fateh has the guests sometimes bring things for her. I brought about $55 worth of food for her, which I was 100% fine with doing until the lack of payment. Now this was weird, I already thought they were going to take the $55 off my bill but they didn't do that. Instead Franco offered that we call it even for 1 yoga class and our 2 lunches that we were talking to the airport. So lets do the math, $55 - $15 for yoga = $40. The lunch they provided was tasty but it was kale, carrots, tomatoes and salad dressing, not $40 worth of food. Next time I prefer to have the money.
7. No alcohol - I was surprised that they did not serve wine at dinner as an up charge. I was 100% expecting that, I'm not a big drinker but I know my wife would have bought some glasses. Instead some other guests bought wine at the local stores and the hotel provided glasses.

Overall it was a great trip! Great people, great sites, great weather and good vegan food. We will return in the future as there is so much to do in Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jaguarandi, Owner at Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you and your wife here, and we hoped that by using many of your own recipes during your stay, you would feel you had a good nutritional balance, using only small amounts of the organic coconut oil that was used on your food, as given your situation, everything you ate was separately prepared for you, and another cook prepared for everyone else. We even had a big sign in the kitchen so no one would forget your many allergies. We all hoped you would be OK. Next time, please do take the detox package - as that gives you fresh Kale drinks during the day in additional to meals - but you could have asked for this at anytime.
When we heard that you could not make your flight over Christmas because of an airline issue, we decided to give you the total deposit of $1,400 as credit. Not even 50%, like some others would do - the rest just give no refund with less than 24 hours cancellations, but we gave you the whole amount; even though our policy is no refund when you have to cancel the day you arrive as well - especially as no fault of our own. Christmas at the airport seemed like such a rotten deal, so we decided to give the gift. So when all of your allergies required so many special super foods - like Hemp Milk (that we prepared fresh practically every day), and Maca which were used exclusively for your smoothies, and you did not present me with a receipt for your personal extras, we thought you were just being understanding - we never imagined you were doing math, especially since we were not doing math :) So do please take that into consideration - AND we do appreciate the nice review!
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

this is our third time coming to waterfall villas. We are vegans. The food was divine. The rooms were very clean and cozy. Fateh and Franco go above and beyond to make your stay spectacular. From arranging pick up from airport to drop off at airport. The place was maxed out when we got there but we still had so much privacy. Met some nice guests from chicago, germany etc.. The staff was very attentive,humble and pleasant. Fateh would bring many fresh vegetables from the market making sure our food was top quality. Franco and Fateh actually spent quite a bit of their OWN time making our stay fabulous..Loved doing kundalini yoga with fateh in the mornings. Loved waking up to the beautiful symphony of the rain forest daily. (instant meditation).. cannot say enough about our stay.. We did not do many tours, so just being on the property was a delight...oh and the fresh local juices at least twice a day were to die for. After three visits to waterfall villas with franco and fateh we arrived as guests and left as family.. Blessings to you fateh and franco...we love you...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Cascadas Farallas Waterfall Villas? Share your experiences!